Jobs going EXTINCT: Watch repair? - Page 2
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Jobs going EXTINCT: Watch repair?

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Re: Jobs going EXTINCT: Watch repair?

Lack of professional training facilities for the trade in this country (U.S.) seem to point toward making this a self-fulfilling prophecy. Couple that with a lack of interest, so it would seem, with the younger generation in watches in general and you end up with a stagnate if not dying profession. I would love to learn the trade, even at my advanced age!

Ergo the law of supply and demand states that service prices will increase by more than inflation.

Quote Originally Posted by lvt View Post
    ...not to forget thousands of mushroom brands that appear then disappear, the majority of those watches are not worth repairing at all.
    Most of those brands are using commonly-available movements from just a few sources (ETA, Sellita, etc). It'd be like repairing different cars that all use a Chevy small block. If the exterior suffers damage and there aren't any replacement parts, okay, I can see tossing it away (or changing to other, non-original parts), but I'll bet most repairs will still be able to be made.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Mechanical watches are a luxury good. So it makes sense that there would be relatively few repairmen for them. You don't see a Ferrari dealership in every town. But you do see a Ford dealer. However I expect to see more in the emerging markets like China, India, SE Asia, Brasil since they are gobbling up high end watches now. Prices will go up though, since there's (relatively) fewer of them around.
    Current Collection - | Ball | Bvlgari | Casio | Citizen | Credor | Girard-Perregaux | Graham | Gübelin | Hamilton | Jaeger-LeCoultre | Longines | Minase | Mühle Glashütte | NOMOS Glashütte | Omega | Rolex | Seiko | Undone | Vacheron Constantin | Victorinox Swiss Army |
    Mulling Over - | Minase Horizon | Reservoir |

WnS

Quote Originally Posted by Chronopolis View Post
    That's what the article said: Not so sure about this forecast. You?

Career That's Slipping Away #6Watch Repairers

Likelihood of Computerization: 99 percent
    If you've heard the expression "runs like clockwork," you should have an idea what people in this profession are all about. According to the U.S. Department of Labor, watch repairers repair, clean, and adjust mechanisms of all sorts of timing instruments, including watches and clocks.
    Bleak Outlook Factor: Watch repair is a time-honored tradition, but as people rely more on devices like computers or mobile phones for the time we might see this profession shrink.
    "It's become increasingly common for people to check their phones for the time," says Miranda, although he doesn't expect to see the end of watches any time soon. "People will still buy and wear watches - but more so now as jewelry. If someone is interested in working in watch repair, they'd be wise to combine that skill with jewelry making or jewelry repair," he suggests.
    Time is almost up for this once-thriving profession. Only 100 new jobs in this career are projected from 2012-2022, a growth rate of 2 percent.*
    Sounds intriguing. Can I get a link to the full list of jobs going down hill?

Quote Originally Posted by Chronopolis View Post
    In the State of Washington, they would be called Watch repairpersons.
    Sigh.

Anyway I agree, I think it's those who are just replacing batteries that will die out.
    If anything, with resurgence in popularity of mechanical watches, those who can ACTUALLY repair watches will have even more work.
    Yup. The problem is that it takes a long time to train a watchmaker, so the supply is not as elastic as the demand. This leads to shortages and higher prices, which we have already seen.

The reduced respect of the young for the three-dimensional world makes recruiting a new generation of watchmakers more difficult.

Rick "expecting routine service to become not difficult to obtain" Denney
    Zenith: Captain Chronograph 03.2110.400*; Cartier: Santos 100 XL Concord: Mariner, C1 Big-Date, C1 v.2 Chronograph; Ebel: Chronosport 1134901, Tekton 9137L83*, Type E 9137C41* (*=COSC)
    Ebel: 1911 BTR 9137L73* and 9139L71*, 1911 1120L41*, 1911 Senior 9080241, Brasilias 9120M41 (2), Aquatica 500 9120K61, Classic Hexagon GMT 9301F61, Classic 100 LE 9120R41; Baume & Mercier: Capeland World-Timer
    Heuer: Carrera 1964 Re-Edition CS3110; Maurice Lacroix: Masterpiece MP6439; "Seagull": 1963 Reissue cal. ST19; Seiko: Black Monster SRP307; Poljot: Sturmanskie cal. 3133; Tissot: T-Touch Lew and Huey: Acciona
    Vintage: JLC: ref. 2953, ca. 1946; Longines: Flagship cal 285; Zodiac: SST cal. 86, Aerospace GMT cal. 72; Favre-Leuba: cal. 253; Tianjin: Dong Feng cal. ST5; Elgin: Gr. 152 (1898), Gr. 384 (1919); Ebel: ca. 1962 ref. 9214955
    WUS: ST5 Project Watches (Black and Blue), F72.2014.DG3804 (Gray and Cream); Swatch: Sistem 51 Blue; TNT: Rattrapante cal. Rochat 7750+RAT-1

disruption in the watch repair industry will follow swatch's decision to cut supplies of ETA movements and parts by end 2015.

Quote Originally Posted by WnS View Post
    Was on Yahoo. Can't find it now.
    "Be thine own palace, or the world's thy jail." _ John Donne

Quote Originally Posted by WnS View Post
    Here's the full article: Jobs that may be slipping away...
    WnS likes this.
    Citizen: Eco-Drive BV1080-18A Longines: Legend Diver (No Date) Melbourne Watch Company: Flinders ☆ Obris Morgan: Branco, Predate Oris: Great Barrier Reef LE ☆ Stowa: Antea 390, Antea Poland LE, Flieger 2011 LE, Marine Original LE IITudor: Heritage Black Bay

That article mentions postal clerks. Around here, I've always seen a line of customers at the post office -- indeed, at any post office I've visited within DC or its suburbs. I also will never expect the customers to be able to handle the self-service machines, judging by the incompetency they've displayed whenever I've seen them try.

IMO, there will always be a need for postal clerks. It's unfortunate that their availability is being reduced, however.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread Information