Jobs going EXTINCT: Watch repair? - Page 4
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Jobs going EXTINCT: Watch repair?

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Re: Jobs going EXTINCT: Watch repair?

I've been scouring Yelp! for reviews on qualified watch repair technicians whose skillsets go beyond replacing batteries. It seems that almost all of the reviewers are praising these people for their ability to swap batteries or change straps. It seems very few do the kinds of repairs we WIS demand. I propose that WIS take up the banner and start their own watch repair businesses. And set them around the NYC area so that I may become a regular customer.
    Bahoomba and flybynight70 like this.
    Just your average Japanese watch fan: Casio, Citizen, Seiko

View my collection **here**

View my feedback by clicking **here**

Your friendly neighborhood enabler,

Otto

The problem with that article is that it just focuses on their statistics and assumptions that "ALL PEOPLE" will start using their smartphones and other digital devices to tell time.

But that's the thing, watches aren't solely a tool. They are jewelry and fashion. You never know which directions trends in fashion will go, since it is all governed by human emotions. And human emotions can't be predicted by statistics alone.

Heck, look at Asia. Luxury watch business is booming alongside the mobile tech market. So based on that, I don't think the watch repair profession outlook will be that bleak.
    scottjc and flybynight70 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyhead123 View Post
    I think watch repairmen to postal clerks is a bit of a stretch though. The APC is a relatively simple machine, and I suspect in a couple of generations we will be digital enough of a society to pull it off. But mechanical watches are backwards. It's an old technology and if anything, I would expect less people to understand it in the future. Mechanical watches are like coal fire trains and horses for transportation. Quaint reminders of the past for those with the nostalgia and money to indulge. But it's going backwards in terms of advances in technology.
    I agree with what you're saying. I'm not personally trying to compare watch repairmen to postal clerks, but (and I should have been more clear earlier) I'm questioning the validity of the article when it appears to be so shortsighted about a nationally-available service like the USPS.

Assuming the anecdotes about current watch repair shops being swamped with work are true—and I'm sure they are—then I, too, don't agree with the article's speculation.

I'd say that at least two of its six choices aren't correct, so I'm not going to bother with reading about the other four.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by BarracksSi View Post
    I agree with what you're saying. I'm not personally trying to compare watch repairmen to postal clerks, but (and I should have been more clear earlier) I'm questioning the validity of the article when it appears to be so shortsighted about a nationally-available service like the USPS.

Assuming the anecdotes about current watch repair shops being swamped with work are true—and I'm sure they are—then I, too, don't agree with the article's speculation.

I'd say that at least two of its six choices aren't correct, so I'm not going to bother with reading about the other four.
    Ah. Point taken.
    Current Collection - | Ball | Bvlgari | Casio | Citizen | Credor | Girard-Perregaux | Graham | Gübelin | Hamilton | Jaeger-LeCoultre | Longines | Minase | Mühle Glashütte | NOMOS Glashütte | Omega | Rolex | Seiko | Undone | Vacheron Constantin | Victorinox Swiss Army |
    Mulling Over - | Minase Horizon | Reservoir |

Looking at this and comparing 2001 with 2013 statistics its plain for anybody to see that the industry is flourishing, not at all dying.
    The Swiss Watch Industry - Facts and figures

Some other interesting reads>

https://www.credit-suisse.com/media/...nstudie-en.pdf

http://www.ifma-net.ch/public_html/d...esentation.pdf

http://www.fhs.ch/statistics/watchmaking_2013.pdf

More and more people across the world are getting the chance of buying a decent watch, partly due rising number of the so called "middle class" in the developing world and partly because it's easier to go on the internet and easily find, compare and source a watch....places like WUS and many others that popularize watches more and more. A big number and proportion of these are mechanical watches and of course they require "fixing" at some point. And because of more and more complications & complexity this means the industry is not only getting more lucrative numbers wise but also better figures (more $$ per repair).

I would easily compare it to the modernization of vehicles, cars, going from carburetors to multi-point injection and many other features. Back then everybody thought cars will be running forever without issues but the truth is nowadays we went from tens or lower hundred $ repair bills to sometimes many thousands due to the added complexity.

Same for watches, it will become as I've said more and more lucrative, if anything, MORE people will have jobs due to this and indeed there are not enough out there.

And to respond specifically to the stupid statement that people check time on their phone...yea, some do, normally it's the same people that would have not gotten/worn a watch in the first place for whatever reason.

Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 134
Size:  36.5 KB
    Last edited by Dan83bz; June 20th, 2014 at 21:51.
    JDM FTW

My 2 ultimate grails are VFM and TOTC.
    A good read is like medicine for the brain.

Quote Originally Posted by BarracksSi View Post

Assuming the anecdotes about current watch repair shops being swamped with work are true
    Which part do you believe to be anecdotal ?
    JDM FTW

I see any kind of repair to shrink in today's throw-away world.

Quote Originally Posted by ctt1760 View Post
    I see any kind of repair to shrink in today's throw-away world.
    Who's throwing away luxury/premium watches?

On the other hand, smartphones and other gadgets displaying time that people claim will replace watches are exactly that, throw-away stuff that you use for a few years and then move on.

Quality mechanical watches are for life or even multiple lifetimes. Gadgets are not.
    JDM FTW

Quote Originally Posted by Dan83bz View Post
    Which part do you believe to be anecdotal ?
    Posts in this thread from Der Amf, PlanoTX, and PedroD, for example. The stats you posted confirmed their thoughts, too.

And I was one of those people who stopped wearing a watch because I could always check my phone for the time. When it became less practical at work to carry a phone around (actually, more like "frowned upon", because it really isn't necessary at my job), I started wearing watches again.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottovonn View Post
    I've been scouring Yelp! for reviews on qualified watch repair technicians whose skillsets go beyond replacing batteries. It seems that almost all of the reviewers are praising these people for their ability to swap batteries or change straps. It seems very few do the kinds of repairs we WIS demand. I propose that WIS take up the banner and start their own watch repair businesses. And set them around the NYC area so that I may become a regular customer.

So agreed, fellow New Yorker. Most of those Yelp! reviews equate getting a battery changed to "watch repair." Two different animals.

Secondly, I have yet to see the evidence that actual watch repair jobs are giving way to machines. When? Where? Who recently had their Omega Seamaster fixed by a robot? I await proof.

And for heaven's sake - someone teach me watch repair, watch building, you name it. The world is getting in short of supply of actual craftsmen, and I can't think of a better away to spend my later years. I'm SO serious about this. And let's face it: Any business is based on its audience, and if more people learn, see, and covet quality wristwatches, the more the industry will flourish - either that, or the new machine-made low-cost Swatch auto movement will catch on, more watches will be built that way, and the next quartz revolution will take place - only bigger.

It's all up to us; education is the key to anything.
    Ottovonn and flybynight70 like this.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread Information