Jobs going EXTINCT: Watch repair?
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Jobs going EXTINCT: Watch repair?

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Jobs going EXTINCT: Watch repair?

That's what the article said: Not so sure about this forecast. You?

Career That's Slipping Away #6Watch Repairers

Likelihood of Computerization: 99 percent
    If you've heard the expression "runs like clockwork," you should have an idea what people in this profession are all about. According to the U.S. Department of Labor, watch repairers repair, clean, and adjust mechanisms of all sorts of timing instruments, including watches and clocks.
    Bleak Outlook Factor: Watch repair is a time-honored tradition, but as people rely more on devices like computers or mobile phones for the time we might see this profession shrink.
    "It's become increasingly common for people to check their phones for the time," says Miranda, although he doesn't expect to see the end of watches any time soon. "People will still buy and wear watches - but more so now as jewelry. If someone is interested in working in watch repair, they'd be wise to combine that skill with jewelry making or jewelry repair," he suggests.
    Time is almost up for this once-thriving profession. Only 100 new jobs in this career are projected from 2012-2022, a growth rate of 2 percent.*
    "Be thine own palace, or the world's thy jail." _ John Donne

Re: Jobs going EXTINCT: Watch repair?

Well 2% growth isn't extinction, is it?!
    flybynight70 likes this.

I'd agree that if I were to go into watchmaking as a profession - I'd likely combine it with a couple of other related areas.

That said, there is and always will be a very important human element in watch repairs.
    Omega Seamaster Professional Planet Ocean 8500 Omega Speedmaster Professional 3572.50 Maurice Lacroix Pontos Day/Date Casio G-Shock DW-9052 TAG Heuer Formula 1 Lavina Manual Wind (Vintage 1940s) Swiss Military 6-512.15 Titanium

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Well, mechanical watches are very niche industry. Most of watch repairmen mostly replace bateries in quartz watches. Very small % actually works on mechanical watches.
    It doesn't matter how much the watch costs, it only matters if it makes your heart tick.

Inactive

And yet the two watchmakers I have used recently are swamped with work.
    Bahoomba and falcon4311 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by RejZoR View Post
    Well, mechanical watches are very niche industry. Most of watch repairmen mostly replace bateries in quartz watches.
    In the State of Washington, they would be called Watch repairpersons.
    Sigh.

Anyway I agree, I think it's those who are just replacing batteries that will die out.
    If anything, with resurgence in popularity of mechanical watches, those who can ACTUALLY repair watches will have even more work.
    Watchnik and scottjc like this.
    "Be thine own palace, or the world's thy jail." _ John Donne

lvt

Quote Originally Posted by Chronopolis View Post
    Anyway I agree, I think it's those who are just replacing batteries that will die out.
    If anything, with resurgence in popularity of mechanical watches, those who can ACTUALLY repair watches will have even more work.

I'm not 100% sure, most of mechanical watches sold in the world market today are affordable watches e.g Seiko, Seagull, Shanghai... not to forget thousands of mushroom brands that appear then disappear, the majority of those watches are not worth repairing at all.

Replacing batteries apparently isn't a good job either, what I saw most often in the streets are usually solar powered or Eco-drive watches.
    Ball - Casio (G-shock) - HMT - Longines - Parnis - Seagull - Steinhart - Tissot - Victorinox - Yema

Portrait painters
    Buggy whip manufacturers
    Abbatoirs
    jsw41 likes this.
    Nomos Zürich Weltzeit • Omega Speedmaster Pro • Sinn UX

Everyone I know in the business is buried in work. Buried. Only 100 new jobs open? That's not so bad seeing as how there are only 40 people going for the 100 jobs.

Banned

I had read that both Lange and GO had expanded their watchmaker's schools this past year.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread Information