Jomashop Service Question/Advice
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Jomashop Service Question/Advice

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Jomashop Service Question/Advice

I have an Oris Diver 65 that I bought a year ago from Jomashop. It ran well the first nine months, kept great time, etc. For the past three months, however, its been slowly winding down and stopping. The autowind works, clearly, but doesn't work well. It USED TO BE that even wearing it a few hours a day was plenty to keep it running; now, even if I give it a good hand-wind and wear it all day, every day, it will stop over night after a few days of wear. If I am super-active, for example if I go jogging, I get more life out of it, so there is SOME winding going on. Just not enough.

Evidently, this is a known problem with the Selitta SW-200 movement. (Also by way of comparison, I own two other automatics that runs just fine day after day under exactly the same conditions. Also, if I wind it by hand and set it on a table I get 40 hours of power, so its not the mainspring.)

The watch does seem to be magnetized, it moves a compas needle substantially. I took it to a local watchmaker who said he put it on a demagnetizer, but it still moves the needle. He also took off the back (!) and said everything looks ok.

SO, my options are: 1) return it to Jomashop and ask them to service it. Or (2) find a reliable place and pay for the service myself. Two watchmakers said they'd just give it a full refurbish, which seems a lot for essentially a new watch, and will be a few hundred.

Thoughts on what to do? On the one hand, having Jomashop do this saves me money. On the other hand, I worry they will send it to someone who will do a crappy job; send it back and tell me there's nothing wrong; or otherwise I'm just without my daily wear watch for God-only-knows how long. Is it worth it to pay for this myself and have more control?

Thoughts/advice appreciated, and if anyone thinks they know what's wrong with the watch, I'm all ears!

(ps as a side question, local watchmaker took back off, said rotor was spinning fine, put back on again. Do I now need to panic that the watch isn't waterproof anymore? I researched this question on WUS, see varying answers, so I will panic unless I hear otherwise.)
    Last edited by Aviron; March 19th, 2019 at 17:29.

Re: Jomashop Service Question/Advice

Use a watchmaker of your choice. Do yourself a favor. Trust me.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Thoughts on what to do? On the one hand, having Jomashop do this saves me money. On the other hand, I worry they will send it to someone who will do a crappy job; send it back and tell me there's nothing wrong; or otherwise I'm just without my daily wear watch for God-only-knows how long. Is it worth it to pay for this myself and have more control?

Thoughts/advice appreciated, and if anyone thinks they know what's wrong with the watch, I'm all ears!
    Please take the time to search for and read through prior threads on Jomashop and their warranty. You will find plenty of opinions for and against their warranty. That information will help with a decision that only you can make.

That the watch has apparently experienced a gradual decline in winding efficiency may indicate it was under lubricated at the factory. For whatever it is worth I have 2 Oris Pointer Date watches with Sellita movements. After 3-4 years ownership they still wind and run just fine.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I have used Jomashop many times in the past and those that needed work I took advantage of their warranty and set them back to them for servicing.

That is what their warranty is for IMHO.

They always did an excellent job in correcting the problem and making it right, at least for me.

But it does take a few weeks or more for them to turn it around, just as an FYI.

Good luck.
    brandon\ likes this.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

This is when you take the money you saved buying at Jomashop and pay a competent watchmaker to service the watch. You played the gray market roulette and lost this time. You'll still probably come out ahead of buying from an AD.

Do NOT trust the service at Jomashop. They are in business to SELL watches cheaply. They do that by not offering decent service options. Don't make an inconvenient situation a losing situation. Chances are, you'll get the watch back and STILL have to pay someone to fix it.

BTW, I buy gray market all the time. Sure it sucks to have to pay for a service, but that's just the price of doing business with a gray market dealer. Don't be fooled by their "warranty service".
    jenyang and brandon\ like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Nokie View Post
    I have used Jomashop many times in the past and those that needed work I took advantage of their warranty and set them back to them for servicing.

That is what their warranty is for IMHO.

They always did an excellent job in correcting the problem and making it right, at least for me.

But it does take a few weeks or more for them to turn it around, just as an FYI.

Good luck.
    Interesting. You've had more than one serviced by them? I personally wouldn't trust them to service the watch, but I'm not doubting your experience. Any more details on what you had done?
    Ducati_Fiend likes this.

Personally I would send it to Jomashop to see if they can fix it for free. If they scratch it or create other problems, chances are I was prepared to send it to a qualified watchmaker anyway, so they can "undo the damage." I'm not suggesting Jomashop is careless with repairs, but they are in the business of selling watches in volume. They are certainly much less interested in providing service at their cost for the watches they sell. Conversely, I doubt they would be careless about servicing watches and possibly tarnishing their reputation.
    My only experience with Jomashop service repair was positive. They fixed a Hamilton under their warranty and all was good (although it took a bit longer than I had hoped). But I had other watches to wear, and frankly I wasn't so attached to that watch. If, on the other hand, my high-end watch needed service under warranty (think Zenith or Blancpain or Breguet, etc.), I would not send those back to Jomashop. I would simply "bite the bullet" and have the manufacturer do the service.
    It all comes back to "it's up to you."

If it was me I'd send it to Jomashop and give them the opportunity to do the right thing (assuming it's still under their warranty). And yes, now that the caseback has come off, you should assume it is not water resistant until it is re-tested.
    fish70 likes this.

Many people suggest that buying graymarket with an in-house warranty is similar to buying at a discount with no warranty--take a chance, and if there is a problem, take it to someone local you can trust. Nokie has had good experience with Jomas' service, so there is obviously some room for debate. Based on what I have read in general I might just take it local, but I do trust Nokie enough to give pause for thought--you have to weigh both sides carefully. One issue, though, is that most warranties are voided if a watch under such a warranty is tampered with in any way, including the simple opening of the caseback--I don't know about the specifics of the Jomas warranty, but I would be cautious in that regard.

Moderator Public Forum soaking.fused's Avatar

There has been some great posts and info shared in this thread. Ultimately, it’s your call on where to have serviced. At that dollar value, I personally may give JS a chance at the service.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information