The Journey or the Destination?
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: The Journey or the Destination?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

The Journey or the Destination?

I bought my first “nice” piece 20 years ago (Breitling Superocean 17045) and the odd piece here and there over the following 10 years.

2009 until 2016: bought nothing for me, some for the wife.

When I got back in to the watch hobby again about a year ago I found that my tastes had changed and decided to try a number of styles while narrowing it down to what I really liked.

Said and done, bought about 18 watches while selling/flipping 6 or so over the last 12 months. Most in the price range of $500-$2,500.

Now I think I am ready to somewhat consolidate and buy a couple of mid- to higher end pieces. (see my Exp vs GS vs VC thread)

At the same time I intend to keep 6-8 relatively affordable watches $500-$3,000) and keep buying and selling in this segment.

Now, I spoke to a buddy of mine the other day, and he took the opposite route, had his Breitling for 20 years and then went straight for the jugular with a PP Aquanaut.

That made me think / rethink my approach a bit.

Which route does most WIS take? Pros and Cons?

Re: The Journey or the Destination?

In the exact same place as you, even bought a breitling 25 years ago, took years off, came back a couple years ago, same price range. And now what. I’ve kind of exhausted the under 2500 range (I flipped WAAAY more than you did, lol). I’m ready for the next step, but it’s a big one: sea dweller. But I love the ones I have too. Will I still wear them if I make the jump? I think so? Part of me doesn’t want to move forward because this hobby was a lot easier when I was playing in the $500 pool, decisions weren’t that big of a deal. Now.... it’s definitly the journey though, it’s been fun the whole way, eventually I’ll man up and continue on :)
    Last edited by BevHillsTrainer; September 16th, 2018 at 23:44.
    Current Collection
    Aquadive BS300 & BS300 DLC Armida A1 Crepas ​Loggerhead Doxa 300 T-Graph professional Ennebi Fondale Gruppo Ardito Kraken Kaiser 9500m
    H2o Kalmar 2 8000m Oceanictime Helberg CH1 Marathon JSAR, JDD Orient ​Saturation Diver Prometheus ​Poseidon DLC Rolex Oyster Royal
    Seiko SUN019 ​Sinn U1 SDR Charmex Swiss Military 20,000ft UTS 4000m WCT 1000m Diver Zixen DSR-1000, DSR-1000 GMT

Right now I feel that the journey is the fun bit. I am learning a lot and get to try/wear quite a few different style pieces along the way.

I am afraid that I'd lose interest if reduced the collection down to a static 3-4 mid to high end pieces.

I could be wrong and then the cost of this hobby would skyrocket

When congratulating my buddy on his PP, I also jokingly said "now the only problem - you are done... nowhere to go from here"

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Both. When I really got into watches, I envisioned an “endgame” of 3-4 pieces. I’ve gone through 10 watches since then, 2 of which I know will be long term keepers and now I’m going for the grail. I’ve enjoyed owning the watches I’ve had and it allowed me to appreciate different price points, without which, I wouldn’t have had a thorough understanding of what I really want. Plus, it also adds to my experience and knowledge. I’m ready now to have my main watches finalized so I can enjoy them until I pass them on, but I will probably add much more affordable watches after that, to continue the pursuit of new watches and styles (and to get that new watch buzz).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Dan T. likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jorgenl View Post
    The journey or the destination?
    Not sure why these have to be polarized as mutually exclusive. I would say "yes" to both.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    timefleas and watchcrank like this.
    "I think I may make bold to say, that there is neither any other Mechanical or Mathematical thing in the World that is more beautiful or curious in texture than this my watch or Timekeeper for the Longitude..." ~John Harrison F.R.S., 1759

I quote Seinfeld a lot. Not that there's anything wrong with that...

Quote Originally Posted by Dan T. View Post
    Not sure why these have to be polarized as mutually exclusive. I would say "yes" to both.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Good point!

You clearly enjoyed the journey but I get the impression that you bud couldn’t be bothered with all that malarkey and jumped in the deep end. Though you chose different ways of getting there you both enjoyed the final result.

In addition to the above, I think a collection of only 3-4 pieces would be difficult for me to achieve since I have what I think is a few "forever pieces":

Breitling 17045 - my first, recently serviced and looking like new
    Sjöö Sandström Royal Steel Quattro - connection to the country where I grew up and probably difficult to sell for a decent price.
    Doxa Sub 300T Diving Star Poseidon - Current favorite and another connection to Sweden (Poseidon).
    Last edited by jorgenl; September 16th, 2018 at 20:57.

Quote Originally Posted by sticky View Post
    You clearly enjoyed the journey but I get the impression that you bud couldn’t be bothered with all that malarkey and jumped in the deep end. Though you chose different ways of getting there you both enjoyed the final result.
    Yep - I think you nailed it.

I envy the luxury minimalist who bonds with one constant companion wristwatch. Your buddy is smart....his "journey" was short and his "destination" galvanic.
    MIKE

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information