The joy of the non-hacking watch - Page 5
Like Tree70Likes

Thread: The joy of the non-hacking watch

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Re: The joy of the non-hacking watch

I have long since gotten over my obsession with hacking watches. I now own three with non-hacking movements, and am pleased to say that doesn't bother me at all. I am also looking at the Vacheron Constantin Overseas, with a new in house movement made specifically for the model. And it is non-hacking! That did surprise me a little, but definitely something that I am totally OK with.

Plenty of excellent watches that do not have hacking movements. My three are: Patek Philippe Gondolo manual wind, Omega Speedmaster 1861 manual wind, and Zenith El Primero automatic chronograph. Three of my favorite watches.

Cheers,
    Carl
    Those who possess a sense of entitlement are seldom satis​fied.

I've learned to relax too, except when I'm wearing this:

Name:  IMG_1873 - Copy.JPG
Views: 34
Size:  254.7 KB

Non-hacking does not bother me, but I like to know how well my watch is running. So I set my non-hacking watch, and make note of how it relates to "real time" as denoted by some online tool. So if when I set my watch, I'm 15 seconds ahead of "real time," that's all I need to know to keep track of the accuracy of my watch.
    Weetabix likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

If you have a hacking watch, you can also choose to match seconds exactly, or choose to be sloppy on seconds. With a non-hacking watch, you only have one choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Slm643 View Post
    OK... I got the part about seeing the sundial.. I think you should elaborate on that story.... And quickly, were people impaled tripping over them before Lume?

Sent from my K92 using Tapatalk
    No, you can tell the time by how weak the lume is.
    BarracksSi likes this.
    Hack a wife's watch, keep her happy for a week, teach her to hack her own watch, keep her happy for life!
    Wife replies: ...teach her to hack her own watch, she doesn't need you anymore! 8^o
    What's the positional variation on a pendulum clock?
    Be annoying. The world needs more noyings.

Quote Originally Posted by ExpiredWatchdog View Post
    No, you can tell the time by how week the lume is.
    Hahaha

Sent from my K92 using Tapatalk

Sponsor Timeless Luxury Watches's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MJD999 View Post
    I admit that I am stupidly obsessive about certain aspects of watches. With a hacking watch that will include a continual attempt to ensure the time is exactly correct and the second hand position is a true reflection of the position of the minute hand between the minute markers, including accommodating the tiny amount of lag that sometimes exists between the hand position when set and the watch movement catching up to it.

I got my first non-hacking watch a couple of months ago (Seiko SKX007) and it’s a really refreshing reminder that outside of work approximate time is all you need. Just take 5 seconds to set and (if you know your watch well enough) don’t bother to do so for another week. A couple of minutes one way or another is not going to change your life, and your phone is right there if you really need the accuracy. Maybe on a more general scale it’s a reminder to relax about a lot of things.
    I agree, and I have the same thought about no-dates. Give me a nice no-date, non-hacking watch, particularly a hand wound, and that's a watch I never worry about dying. I just set it whenever I need it and go.
    Actium likes this.

Cool Watch!

Quote Originally Posted by ffritz View Post
    One-hand watches are a nightmare to set precisely. And personally, I can't read them at a glance either. Despite what the producers want me to belive, they are the exact opposite of a relaxing watch to me.

The watch that absolutely does the trick for me is the no-date, no-seconds, no-frills Maranez Layan. No fiddling when you set it, built like a tank, super easy to read.

Attachment 14106943
    Slm643 likes this.

Like most, I prefer that watches (hacking or not) that run even with or slightly fast as compared to NIST. I find that I am more tolerant of a watch that runs slightly slow if is of the non-hacking type.

With a hacking seconds hand I try to be accurate about setting the time, but with a non-hacking movement I just set it to the next minute. It's kind of funny because I agree that it's nice to feel like I'm doing something with a little less effort, though when I think about it the effort saved is actually very minimal. It's a little faster to set but not by much; I still have to wait till the seconds hand hits 12 so I can set the minute hand accurately. It's also a bit weird to be off-sync with my co-workers by ~40 secs sometimes when I rotate in a non-hacking beater, as we do follow a schedule. I still prefer hacking, at least that way I have a choice about how accurately I want to my watch.
    Weetabix likes this.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information