jumping seconds vs low beat ?

Thread: jumping seconds vs low beat ?

jumping seconds vs low beat ?

Greetings,

the spec 'jumping seconds' or so called 'deadbeat seconds' are by some people called as a complication. I watched some videos about it and honestly, didn't understand what is a difference between this deadbeats and a low beat vintage caliber. In the videos of the deadbeat seconds the second hand was moving like its jumping which looks similar to low beat calibers like venus 170 or landeron 32 with ~ 18,000 beats per hour.

Are those Jumping seconds because of lower beats in this case like 3600 beats per hour so 1 beat per second and it goes from one to another seconds? Or is just random beats but kinda combined?How do we differentiate the jumping seconds from non sweeping seconds? Just the manufacturers? Or is there visually and ticking-wise some difference which I didn't recognize? And final, do you think 'jumping seconds ' is a complication?
    Last edited by Emre; August 28th, 2012 at 00:57.

Re: jumping seconds vs low beat ?

Its a separate mechanism

See this Habring2 Foudrouyante
    It beats a traditional 8 beats per second, but has the deadbeat seconds complication

Seize the day - every second counts! The Habring² Foudroyante.MPG - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by zyk1on View Post
    Greetings,

the spec 'jumping seconds' or so called 'deadbeat seconds' are by some people called as a complication. I watched some videos about it and honestly, didn't understand what is a difference between this deadbeats and a low beat vintage caliber. In the videos of the deadbeat seconds the second hand was moving like its jumping which looks similar to low beat calibers like venus 170 or landeron 32 with ~ 18,000 beats per hour.

Are those Jumping seconds because of lower beats in this case like 3600 beats per hour so 1 beat per second and it goes from one to another seconds? Or is just random beats but kinda combined?How do we differentiate the jumping seconds from non sweeping seconds? Just the manufacturers? Or is there visually and ticking-wise some difference which I didn't recognize? And final, do you think 'jumping seconds ' is a complication?

Re: jumping seconds vs low beat ?

18k bph is still moves the second hand 5 times per second. I've had plenty of vintage watches that beat about that rate and they all look reasonably smooth, it looks nothing like jumping seconds/ dead beat seconds. These days jumping seconds are mostly in quartz watches. A mechanical watch with dead beat seconds can(theoretically) have any bph because there is usually an extra complication to store the energy and move the second hand once per second.

Thread Information