Just bought: Omega Speedmaster Pro --- movement replaced?

Thread: Just bought: Omega Speedmaster Pro --- movement replaced?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Just bought: Omega Speedmaster Pro --- movement replaced?

Hey there all, been lurking for awhile now, and just bought an Omega Speedmaster Pro on eBay:

ebay link

(Reference Number 38705031)

The seller says it has an automatic movement, but everything I've read said this should be manual. Do you think this was replaced? Or the seller doesn't know what he's talking about? Based on his username and past auctions he's a watch dealer.

Thanks!
    Jeremy

Last edited by jrmynorcal; December 18th, 2012 at 21:52.

Re: Just bought: Omega Speedmaster Pro --- movement replaced?

Based on the photos in the ebay listing provided, it looks genuine... Discrepancies between the listing and facts are; hand-wind, not automatic and hesalite crystal, not sapphire. Otherwise, it looks good to me. Nice pick-up!
    For me, every day is a new thing. I approach each project with a new insecurity, almost like the first project I ever did, and I get the sweats. I go in and start working. I'm not sure where I'm going - if I knew where I was going, I wouldn't do it. Frank Gehry

I would not have bought the watch if I had doubts. As previously poster said, there are discrepancies in relation to movement description and crystal. The Professional is a manual movement with a hesalite crystal, whereas the watch that you have purchased appears to be neither.
    Currently: Omega Speedmaster Professional 145.012 | Omega Speedmaster Date | 1952 Omega Constellation cal.354 | Rolex Datejust 16200 | Cartier Tank Francaise | Orient Star World-Time | Seiko SKX007K2 | Seiko SKX781K2 Orange Monster | De Reiter Automatic

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the comments, I emailed the seller and he said:

We are so sorry for this misunderstanding! There was a mistake in the listing and the watch is NOT an automatic movement. It is a mechanical/manual wind movement. Sorry for the mistake and thank your for your purchase and your understanding. Will ship today and delivered tomorrow.

Calgary, Canada via Marin County, California

I wouldn't worry about it. I see similar mistakes lots of times when sellers with multiple item cut and paste their ads. Inevitably, part of the ad doesn't get updated properly and you get a discrepancy between the description and the reality. Ideally you want to make sure you ask for clarification before you bid... a good lesson for the future.

They probably have a few templates for selling things that they copy and paste between and they forgot some things.

That said, take the watch to a good local watchmaker (if you're near Santa Clara I highly recommend the Tick Tock Shop) and have them compare the serial number on the movement to the one on the case.

For my Speedy, they match. If you're looking at the case from the back, with the crown and pushers to your left, the serial number on the case should be on the lug where 4:00 would be if the back had a dial. The one on the movement is on the outside edge, at 1:30. It may be in other places, but that's a good place to start.
    Nomos Zürich Weltzeit • Omega Speedmaster Pro • Sinn UX

Oh no...looks like you got a Dud!!! Let me buy it off you for 1,200 so you can make profit :)

Seriously...Looks good as the seller admitted the mistake in the listing. He also has a decent ebay rating so i wouldn't worry too much. The only thing that would bother me though is how low it sold for. Speedy pros are usually close -/+ 2k range and you got one for the price of a Speedy reduced automatic...if everything turns out ok then you've scored a great deal!!!

Looks like a good buy. Well done.

Great deal, this should have sold for 2k+.

Post pics when u receive watch.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

Good find, very good find indeed!

If I could get such a good looking speedy pro for that kind of money here in Europe I would jump on it! Unfortunately in my neck of the woods even the speedy reduced rarely goes for less than $2000 and the pro is usually 3K+

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information