Just got a Samsung Galaxy Gear (smart watch) thoughts/owners...
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Just got a Samsung Galaxy Gear (smart watch) thoughts/owners...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Just got a Samsung Galaxy Gear (smart watch) thoughts/owners...

Just picked this up via T-Mobile for @$226 thanks to an accessory coupon. I have to say it's not bad so far. It is easy to pair (Note 3), works great as a BT handset, has a nice screen and even takes a decent picture and even 720p video (15 seconds max). So far out of the box at 91% charged after @8hrs it's at 39% after about 10 pictures, 3 videos and 6 phone calls along with using S-Voice to send text messages. It fits my 7.75" wrist losely with one notch to spare on the non-replaceable strap since ithas a camera on the backside and the speaker on the butterfly clasp. If you have an 8.5" wrist you're out of luck.

I'm pleased with it and the build quality so far but I still love my "dumb/mechanical/inaccurate" watches which have more "soul" than this... Although I openly await what the future holds for this and future iterations of smart watches.
    Here's some pics of it and taken with it (untouched):

Picture taken with it seen above:

Sent from an aircraft that never leaves the ground...
    brrrdn likes this.

Re: Just got a Samsung Galaxy Gear (smart watch) thoughts/owners...

It's not a watch.
    MPREZYA likes this.

I think this is a huge threat to the fashion watch industry. Ironically, quartz finds itself in the "crisis" position it created for mechanicals decades ago.

Nice mechanicals aren't going anywhere. People wear fine mechanical watches for entirely different reasons. No one is going to pass down a Galaxy Gear to their child.
    MPREZYA, mpalmer and mew88 like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Watchbreath View Post
    It's not a watch.
    I agree it's more of a BT accessory first and watch somewhere further down the line on the list.

Quote Originally Posted by Watchbreath View Post
    It's not a watch.
    What he says.......
    MPREZYA likes this.
    Any watches posted may be seen as gifts,borrowed or found property and not as personal property of Little Big Feather.

Quote Originally Posted by ThisSideUp View Post
    I think this is a huge threat to the fashion watch industry. Ironically, quartz finds itself in the "crisis" position it created for mechanicals decades ago.

Nice mechanicals aren't going anywhere. People wear fine mechanical watches for entirely different reasons. No one is going to pass down a Galaxy Gear to their child.
    I agree with that. I got it for when I flip my Note 3 in <@6months if HTC brings out a similar sized HTC One. That and not paying full price helped sway me.

This didn't do it for me. I didn't like the camera (think it's unnecessary), the stiff bracelet, and honestly, for a WIS, I think a big turnoff is the fact that this will become yet another piece of electronic equipment - constant updates coming out at the most inappropriate times, and obsolescence just around the corner - Galaxy Gear 4 will be out within a year, and this $299 watch will be worth a fraction of what you paid before you can count to 10.

That said, I am really looking forward to see what the future will bring to wearable electronics. Please, don't let my negative comments make you enjoy it any less. Sometimes it's ok to admit something is not for you, and the Galaxy Gear is just not for me. Enjoy it, and wear it in good health!
    MPREZYA likes this.

My issue with touch screen "watches" has always been battery life -- if you keep the screen on all day so as to use it as a watch without having to wake up the device each time you want to check the time, the battery never lasts.

It's more like what I called the 'T-Touch' when I sold them, a wrist instrument.
    Quote Originally Posted by MPREZYA View Post
    I agree it's more of a BT accessory first and watch somewhere further down the line on the list.

Quote Originally Posted by seoulseeker View Post
    My issue with touch screen "watches" has always been battery life -- if you keep the screen on all day so as to use it as a watch without having to wake up the device each time you want to check the time, the battery never lasts.
    The nice thing with this is it is an amoled display meaning the only part of the display pulling power is anything that isn't black. This is a charge every day watch for sure and what will make that difficult is the charge base is a clamshell that goes around the watch and makes contact with the spots on the underside. That is also how you initially pair the device which also makes it a theft deterrent in a way as you can't pair it again to another without it (afaik). I need buy something to impress others and I appreciate the opinions and comments as we're all about watches and this is where things are headed for mainstream watches.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information