Is it just me?
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: Is it just me?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Is it just me?

I'm sorry but is it just me that gets annoyed with people that snap up limited edition runs just to sell for a rediculous profit?

I was keen on purchasing the Undone X Snoopy watch but by the time I got there all 300 were sold out! Sold for £360 now you see people that have only just received them and decided "it's just not for me" so have put them up for sale for like £750

Clearly had no interest in keeping the watch and looking to make a quick buck... Really frustrates me

Rant over!!

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk
    FarmKid, 41Mets, wtma and 2 others like this.

Re: Is it just me?

Ha...I hear you. I was looking at the same watch. For 360 itís a novelty. For 750 itís a reality check: ďwhat the heck was I thinking, wanting a Snoopy watch?Ē Then I move on with my day.
    slcbbrown likes this.
    "Honey, when I die, sell my watches for what they're worth, and not what I told you I paid for them."

Wait it out. Prices will come back down once the "I want that and will pay twice what it's worth to have it" crowd has been sated.
    Powered by 1.21 Gigawatts

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

It's dog eat dog out there. If you want to play, you gots to pay. You need to be up early with the F5 button because there are thousands out there around the world, armed with the same market information as you, and the demand for brand is as high as at any point in history. These aren't watches any more; they're tradeable assets.
    LosAngelesTimer, Simon and Mr Auto like this.

It really does stink, thankfully, there are thousands of other watches to explore and discover. I was moderately curious about the Snoopy as well. Now I am really into Bulova Accutrons (including Accutron Clocks which)!! Also, I am keeping an eye out for a gold colored vintage JLC Memovox to be my dress watch and replace my Hamilton Thin-o-matic.

Quote Originally Posted by MX793 View Post
    Wait it out. Prices will come back down once the "I want that and will pay twice what it's worth to have it" crowd has been sated.
    They've got more money that at any time ever, and they like to spend it because there's absolutely no point in saving it. Save a global correction which will hurt buyers far more than the market premium, there is no end to it. Hodinkee's next limited-edition Flik-Flak or Rado (it doesn't matter what the watch actually is, it could be anything) will trade at a healthy premium as the wealthier latecomers arrive to collect their co-branded product.

Get a Timex Snoopy instead, bit of history with the brand as well!!

Undone watches................
    " I am easily impressed by the best" - Winston Churchill.

"One cannot but admire the cold-bravery and enterprise of these Italians"
    Admiral Cunningham, referring to the frogmen of the M.A.S in WW2.

The same stuff is happening with Rolex. I was looking at like 150 new Hulk submariners on Chrono24 and they are all priced north of 15k. The other day, Christopher Ward had a clearance sale and most of that stock was snapped up quickly and then offered for sale on EBay. Iím of the opinion that if I canít pay retail for a watch, it isnít worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    JacobC and Simon like this.

They're called scalpers, and I can see how it might bother you, but ultimately, there are actually some benefits that come out from scalping.

For the early responders, there's the economic benefit of the quick scalp. What they do with their cash is theirs to decide. Also, many scalpers at WUS use the proceeds to buy up, which I think is a benefit for all of us.

For those slow out of the gate and who missed the opportunity, other benefits include appreciation for the LE in question, a greater desire to have it, or perhaps the possibility of avoiding a very expensive mistake. (For example, I almost got that blue Alpinist - I'm SO GLAD that I didn't because Hodinkee's photos were EGREGIOUSLY misleading. They depicted a matte blue dial and bead blasted case, but it's a sunburst dial with polished/brushed case).

Just wait it out. Sometimes these things are hit with a high price when they come back on to the secondary market but as the excitement wanes, the price tends to drop. For example, Apollo 11's fiftieth anniversary has done wonders for the SMP and it shows, but things will normalize again. And that's the beauty of predictive analytics: most people think in linear fashion, but that's not how it works. There's a diminishing return in virtually everything around us, so when you see price bubbles, know that it isn't sustainable, and that a statistical reversion to the mean is coming.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    "I think I may make bold to say, that there is neither any other Mechanical or Mathematical thing in the World that is more beautiful or curious in texture than this my watch or Timekeeper for the Longitude..." ~John Harrison F.R.S., 1759

Quote Originally Posted by Trojanbybirth View Post
    The same stuff is happening with Rolex. I was looking at like 150 new Hulk submariners on Chrono24 and they are all priced north of 15k.
    The GMT on Jubilee and Fibe Hunnit C are screaming north of $30,000 like a banshee, out-of-control Nascar V8 deep into five figures on the last few laps, and the crank is still holding together... just. When the market finally explodes, the biggest problem won't be finding an AD with one in stock, it'll be figuring out where the next meal is coming from.

People don't like it, and some take the mick, but even to buy watches you like, you need a market mindset. The market doesn't care who you are, investor, speculator, flipper, price arbitrator or watch lover; the price is the same.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information