Is it just me, or is this seller (from the infamous auction site) out of line?
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: Is it just me, or is this seller (from the infamous auction site) out of line?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Is it just me, or is this seller (from the infamous auction site) out of line?

So I just received the Tissot Janeiro I'd ordered from Albania, which was a gamble because the photos were either too bright from the flash or too dark from a dark room. I could tell from the photos that there were some scratches around the bezel, but that was all that was revealed. The watch description was "PERFECT," and the listing had described the watch as having "light use signs," so I thought maybe the scratches weren't going to be too bad and the watch would be in pretty good condition when it arrived.

When it finally did arrive there were scratches all around the case, dings on the bezel, sponge-like indentations all around the side of the case, the back display crystal either has a very deep scratch or crack, and there are two nicks on the acrylic crystal. The movement is in good shape and keeps good time, but overall I'm very dissatisfied with the watch and the deception of the seller to describe it as "PERFECT" and as "light use signs."

I took immediate action and contacted the seller and started an eBay case (unknowingly by clicking the 'item not as described' icon). I told him that I wanted to return the watch because it's not as described, but I do not intend to spend the $50 to expedite it back to Albania. He demands that I send it expedited so he 'won't loose any time' with the watch, as he expects to sell it for more money. He then goes on to lecture me and tell me that if I expect a used watch to be perfect, then I should buy from a boutique! The whole problem is that he listed it as in "PERFECT" condition "as in looks, time keeping, and performance."

So we're now in a battle and waiting for eBay to decide who should pay the return shipping. Is it preposterous for me to not want to pay the expediting shipping costs? or would you feel the same way?
    -Shaunie_007

Re: Is it just me, or is this seller (from the infamous auction site) out of line?

i honestly think to buy a watch from Albania was the biggest mistake ! actually you were lucky to receive a watch in any condition - sorry for your disappointment

Re: Is it just me, or is this seller (from the infamous auction site) out of line?

We buy you books.. We send you to school.. And what do you do...
    You buy watches from Albania...
    Donf, JohnF, Fi33pop and 15 others like this.
    Any watches posted may be seen as gifts,borrowed or found property and not as personal property of Little Big Feather.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

WONDERFUL SWISS MADE WRISTWATCH.AN AMAZING TISSOT JANEIRO WATCH.
    WONDERFUL WORKING CONDITIONS WATCH.
    CHRONOGRAPH-TACHYMETER-TELEMETER
    MINIMAL WEAR SIGNS.
    PERFECT IN EVERYTHING,AS LOOKING AND AS WORKING.
    ALL ORIGINAL AND GENUINE. (UNTOUCHED)
    NO WORDS NEEDED TO DESCRIBE THIS WONDERFUL WATCH JUST
    LOOK AT THE PICTURES.
    GOOD LUCK TO ALL FOR THIS FANTASTIC WATCH

He did kinda over do the decription. BUT IT"S EBAY!!! The pictures are horrible and he only has 151 transactions from Albania. You really were a sucker- sorry but that is a sale I wouldn't go near.
    He doesn't specify what kind of shipping but states that you are responsible. Expidite it back, cheap lesson really - you could have gotten stuck with the watch or a fake.
    GregAM likes this.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The seller may have been trying it on or he may genuinely think that the watch is "perfect". Either way I think you did right as it was not as described.

This is exactly why I would rather pony up the $$ and buy from an AD or at least reputable seller. But yeah you're in the right in this situation and seller is taking the p**s.

First, I will assume he did send you the watch pictured. If that is the case I will tell you what should happen and what will happen. What should: all your complaints are cosmetic in nature, IMHO you did not do due diligence, you knew the pictures were poor and you should have ask for better ones and if they did not comply then either buy it and take your chance or not buy it, the latter is more prudent. It clearly says returns are accepted and BUYER PAYS RETURN SHIPPING and the shipping method he asks for is no more costly than what he charged to ship it to you, this seems reasonable to me. Sent via a slower method which may takes much longer than you probably anticipate the seller is without the watch or money. I just see a lack of doing your part prior to sale so you took your chance and lost. What will happen, eBay will bend over backwards to work it out, possibly eat the return shipping fees and all will be well except your loss of time, this assumes you are a good eBayer in their eyes, this isn't just feedback since sellers can no longer leave negative feedback so every eBayer that only buys has 100% feedback. eBay has more insight into how good or bad you are since they track no-pays and returns at a higher rate than the norm etc. Puffery in ANY ad especially eBay ads is to be expected, further watch grading is subjective in the end you have to use what is objective and that is pictures. BTW you have to be really careful when English is not the sellers first language since they may not understand the "normal" meaning of a word or phrase, it was obvious there was an issues (language or hyperbole) in the listing since "perfect" and even "minimal wear marks" are contradictory.
    Last edited by ilitig8; November 2nd, 2013 at 20:44.
    Shaunie_007 likes this.

Send it back, eat the shipping costs, and consider it the best $50 lesson of your life.

And stay away from eBay if you are the sort of person that thinks it's a good idea to buy used watches from Albania.

Quote Originally Posted by hoppes-no9 View Post
    Send it back, eat the shipping costs, and consider it the best $50 lesson of your life.

And stay away from eBay if you are the sort of person that thinks it's a good idea to buy used watches from Albania.
    I agree. It sounds like you may have expected this anyway, but went through with the sale in the hopes that things would turn out more positive. You said it was "a gamble," and you can't win them all. Don't buy anything photographed in dimly lighted conditions from Albania.

Quote Originally Posted by ilitig8 View Post
    First, I will assume he did send you the watch pictured. If that is the case I will tell you what should happen and what will happen. What should: all your complaints are cosmetic in nature, IMHO you did not do due diligence, you knew the pictures were poor and you should have ask for better ones and if they did not comply then either buy it and take your chance or not buy it, the latter is more prudent. It clearly says returns are accepted and BUYER PAYS RETURN SHIPPING and the shipping method he asks for is no more costly than what he charged to ship it to you, this seems reasonable to me. Sent via a slower method which may takes much longer than you probably anticipate the seller is without the watch or money. I just see a lack of doing your part prior to sale so you took your chance and lost. What will happen, eBay will bend over backwards to work it out, possibly eat the return shipping fees and all will be well except your loss of time, this assumes you are a good eBayer in their eyes, this isn't just feedback since sellers can no longer leave negative feedback so every eBayer that only buys has 100% feedback. eBay has more insight into how good or bad you are since they track no-pays and returns at a higher rate than the norm etc. Puffery in ANY ad especially eBay ads is to be expected, further watch grading is subjective in the end you have to use what is objective and that is pictures. BTW you have to be really careful when English is not the sellers first language since they may not understand the "normal" meaning of a word or phrase, it was obvious there was an issues (language or hyperbole) in the listing since "perfect" and even "minimal wear marks" are contradictory.
    I agree wholeheartedly that I could have done more before the sale and shouldn't have been so optimistic, but my lesson is learned and I will consider eating the shipping fees due to lack of diligence on my part, and should have more compassion due to the fact that English is not his first language. Thanks for the insight guys, I was pretty outraged when all this happened and wasn't too sure I was 100% right in my feelings.
    -Shaunie_007

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information