Just a rant about the terrible service I received today which left my watch damaged!
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Just a rant about the terrible service I received today which left my watch damaged!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Just a rant about the terrible service I received today which left my watch damaged!

So I received my long awaited new Seiko Monster yesterday and I love it!
    I have a tiny wrist size (6") so I went out to get the bracelet resized today.

I took it to one of those mall watch guys. You know when you look at someone and sort of get a bad feeling they're about to do a terrible job?
    Well I had that feeling. But I justified leaving it with him anyway because as anybody would assume, working there would mean that experience and proper workmanship is required, and hell he has probably done a million of these things. So I handed my watch over to him despite my gut feeling.

I came back at the time he wanted, and received my watch back to try on and see if it was the appropriate size. It wasn't so I handed it back to him and he told me to come back a little later again whilst he takes out another link or two.

Once again, I returned and he gave me my watch. He said "Go for a walk, see how you like the fit and come back and let me know". So I thought that was a good idea and went for a walk with the watch on my wrist.
    While on my walk, I decided to inspect the watch, specifically the bracelet more closely.
    That's when I noticed.

Firstly, there were scratches all over my shiny new links. Dents too. The links were put on in a way that it was unbalanced and didn't follow through with the tapered design. He just put any link anywhere. The pins were missing their sleeves and poking out in all directions, they were all in the wrong places. It was a horrific sight and I wasn't sure what to do next.

I took the watch back to him and told him about the pins (he was very busy) so I didn't get a chance to talk to him properly. He said he would fix the pins and for me to come back for the third time. I went back once more and tried on the watch, it seemed fine this time. He quickly put the remainder links in the watch box and said "Don't worry about paying, I've spent too much of your time already".

I didn't say anything and just walked off. (I'm not really the type of guy who likes to confront people, especially the type of person he was; easily frustrated and arrogant).

I decided to stop by another watch repairer and service centre in the mall. I told them my story and asked for an opinion on how the previous person treated my watch. They were ASTOUNDED by how terrible the condition was considering it was a brand new watch beforehand without a single flaw. They pointed out the many things that weren't done properly and were wrong with it and demanded I went back and confronted him about the job he did. I should have gone with these guys in the first place!

Anyway, I got up my courage and went over to him and explained why I wasn't happy. He acted all like it was my fault and I shouldn't be unhappy because he didn't charge me in the first place. I explained that he has actually devalued and ruined the condition of my watch etc. He started getting angry. Anyway, I gave him my watch and he said he would send it off to a watch repairer to fix it (buff, etc) and give me a call when it was done, then we exchanged details.

I then went home and gave the head office a call and told them about my experience. They were a lot more helpful. They said if it wasn't returned back to me in a new condition, then they would replace the watch, which sounds about right. Regardless, I probably will be asking for a replacement because he lost my pins and because they are buffing it, it would probably leave inconsistencies throughout the bracelet. I really like my possessions to be perfect as would any wus-phile.

I am just shaken by the whole event and even more so because of the way he acted towards me when it's my right as a customer to have my items returned to me in the condition I had it previously. Really ruined my day, I'm flying over to California tomorrow for a holiday with my girlfriend and now I wont even have my monster to wear over there which I was super excited about.

Re: Just a rant about the terrible service I received today which left my watch damaged!

I'm sorry you had to experience all that.

Where I live there are lots of jewelry stores with watch repair signs affixed to the windows. I was sure that for many of these "watchmakers," their skills amount to changing the battery in a quartz watch or polishing out minor scratches. So, I thought there'd be no problem with having a bracelet adjusted every now and then.

About a year ago, I visited my local "watch guy" to have my Seiko MM300's bracelet adjusted. At the time I had no idea how to adjust the bracelet myself so I let the expert handle things. I went home with my new watch on the wrist. When I gave my watch a good look over to marvel at its awesomeness, I noticed that the pins were popping out of the bracelet. I realized then that he hadn't inserted the collars into the pins to secure the bracelet links. If I didn't spot that, I'm sure that the bracelet would have come undone soon during something as routine as my commute to work. I've since learned how to adjust bracelets myself thanks to the good folks of WUS, and I'm glad I did.

The moral of the story is this: don't entrust your valuable timepiece to some random hack job, even if it's something as mundane and supposedly simple as having a bracelet adjusted.
    Last edited by Ottovonn; February 13th, 2013 at 05:47.
    insphere, CitizenM and CCCP like this.
    Just your average Japanese watch fan: Casio, Citizen, Seiko

View my collection **here**

View my feedback by clicking **here**

Your friendly neighborhood enabler,

Otto

WnS

Re: Just a rant about the terrible service I received today which left my watch damaged!

That really sucks man, ever since I had a falling out with a local mall watchmaker - I've bought the tools to size my own watches. This guy knew how to size bracelets; but he was smug, money gouging and sometimes scratched a few links on his dodgy old work table.

Search eBay - the tools are often cheaper than the cost of one resizing.
    Last edited by WnS; February 13th, 2013 at 05:50.
    I'm content with my watch collection

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by WnS View Post
    Search eBay - the tools are often cheaper than the cost of one resizing.
    Yeah I think I'll do it myself from now on. I can trust myself to do a decent job at least!

Lol! I am sorry, I am laughing because I made the same mistake with a cheapo Chinese watch, and a mall kiosk busted it. Luckily it was a $30 watch, and I learned NEVER to darken the doors of those idiot shacks, EVER. They have no idea what they are doing, and don't know anything about watches. Always go to a jeweler, or trusted watchmaker. Even for simple things.
    I will never forget I was at one of those rinkydink places wearing my Sub, looking at the crap they had for sale. The guy asked to look at it, so I let him. He laughed and said, fake huh? I just replied, nope why? He said, see how if you look really close you can see it ticking about eight times per second? That means its fake, real ones sweep.
    It was all I could do to not just tell the guy what a blivering snivellig moron he was.
    I just walked away and laughed.
    Hard lesson learned, Im sorry it had to be with your Monster, that really sucks.
    Those places are a joke, stick with chain jewelers or reputable watch makers for ANYTHING. I learned the hard way too. Luckily it was a $30 chinese piece of junk that was lost and not an important piece.
    Last edited by Patsbox7; February 13th, 2013 at 06:05.
    insphere likes this.

Same here. These places should not be doing business. Can't even open a caseback without scratching the hell out of it. Puts in the wrong battery. Jams the caseback in the wrong orientation.

I taught myself how to do many of my own watch repairs and sizing a long time ago. With a little internet research and some practise you can do ten times the job that you would get at those kiosk watch rip off artists. They go through staff like I go through...na, never mind. You will save yourself a lot of aggravation if you do it yourself.

VIEW MY SALES FEEDBACK>>>>HERE

/¯¯l¯¯¯l¯¯[_\__\]
    l¯¯ l¯¯¯l¯¯¯L-_O|||||||O_
    ¯()_)¯¯¯¯¯¯()_)¯¯¯¯¯()_)

Cheers guys. Making me feel a bit better knowing that y'all have shared similar experiences. Just kicking myself that I made such a stupid mistake in the first place.

I got one of these on TheBay for 4 bucks shipped, and it works like a charm. It's already paid for itself 5 times over just adjusting two watches.

CCCP, ShaggyDog and DM71 like this.

Mall kiosks are good for swapping batteries and changing straps. And I specifically mean straps. I would never use a mall kiosk watch-shop for bracelets or anything else besides batteries or straps for that matter.
    Last edited by Monocrom; February 13th, 2013 at 06:31. Reason: Site acting up yet again.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity here and there. Not the other way around." ~ John Cleese.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information