Just went to a Tourneau
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Just went to a Tourneau

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Just went to a Tourneau

Actually two of them, the one on Madison Ave and the big Time Machine store.

I was dressed casually (vans, hoodie, jeans) and were greeted by multiple people I'm both stores. I tried on a few Bremont's, Longines, and Breitlings while looking in amazement at the Patek area.

Didn't get to the haggling part as it was a side trip.

Was offered the tourneau financing which gives 6-12 month no interest and 10% store credit for a future purchase/servicing.

Walked out wishing I had more money to spend.

Seiko, Cartier Moderator Athram's Avatar

Re: Just went to a Tourneau

Quote Originally Posted by waldoh View Post
    I was dressed casually (vans, hoodie, jeans)
    I'm surprised you even got in the door. Part of the fun of going to expensive watch shops is looking at people dressed like that not being let in by the door guard!

Though maybe in the US it's done differently.
    Dave0944 likes this.

A lot of people who are willing to spend an unholy amount of money dress casually in the US, especially among the younger set. You typical dot com/google/facebook billionaire wont bother to own a suit or even a nice shirt.

I have lived in the UK and I have to agree that the culture is different there. Dress is a little more formal and subdued lest you get called a chav. Saks or Bergdorf's wont stop you at the door for wearing the wrong clothes (unlike Harrods')

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I'll be at the Time Machine Saturday helping a friend find a new watch. I won't let him buy there though.
    Fordham-NY likes this.

Most of the ppl I've seen at Torneau in CA are in t-shirt and shorts including myself :)

They've always been nice to me, but their pricing is something I can never accept.

Quote Originally Posted by Athram View Post
    I'm surprised you even got in the door. Part of the fun of going to expensive watch shops is looking at people dressed like that not being let in by the door guard!

ahh, this is one of the great differences between the US and Europe. Europe is essentially still a classist society where one tends to be judged by one's dress or perceived status, whereas in the US its much less classist or heiarchical, where the great unwashed proles mix with the dot com zillionaires and you can't figure out who's who. I reckon this stems from Europe's long history of the ruling class whereas the Americas were settled by immigrants seeking a better life. Long live the Proles!

I've been to tourneu time machine, as well as a smaller tourneu I made a stop into as a side trip as well. Unlike the insulting attitude I received at the Roosevelt field mall one on long island, where a Salesman told me he's not allowed to take watches out to show people, the sales staff in NYC were a lot more willing to talk to me. Was a bit dressed up though.
    ..............Rolex
    Omega
    Breitling TAG Heuer
    Seiko Citizen G-Shock

Quote Originally Posted by Athram View Post

NYC is def fine. You can wear Crocs if you like. There are a lot tourists on vacation visit NYC. Most of them dress casual visiting stores.

Born in South Korea - Canadian citizen - Living in Philly Suburb

So, in UK I guess this guy won't get into the shop just because he wears shorts and flipflops?

Fordham-NY likes this.
    Chronic flipper...

JMO
    US is VERY casual, too casual in my opinion...people push the limit on looking like slobs even in nice establishments. But as stated it may have no direct correlation to how much money they actually have...

Personally the whole dot com young ppl with money is utter b.s...I'm sure there are some in Silicone valley but from personal experience being in my late 20s and just now having my career take off as well as observing the same thing with my friends, family and acquaintances, great wealth at a young age doesn't come unless you are just unusually lucky or are spending mommy and daddies money. It comes from time, hard work and a successful career or business venture...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by JMO; October 12th, 2012 at 00:42.
    It puts the watch on its wrist or it gets the hose.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information