Just wish to share of an unexpected gift!
Like Tree113Likes

Thread: Just wish to share of an unexpected gift!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Wink Just wish to share of an unexpected gift!

I work for a major construction company in the Cleveland market, where we also have offices in North Carolina, South Carolina and Virginia. Been with the mentioned company for 36 years, and happen to be a second generation employee as well. Our president, and owner of the company, happens to be a bit of a watch collector himself, but not as extreme as I. I believe his collection consists of a Rolex GMT Master II, I think there maybe a Cellini in the mix, IWC Portuguese, Cartier Roadster and an Omega Seamaster Bond. Well, a couple of months ago, he wanted me to adjust his Rolex GMT for his wrist size, and he knew I was a bit of a collector. It was a simple task to make the adjustment he wanted, and I mentioned about his Omega. Of our conversation, I told him that I once owned the exact same Omega, but traded it for a Fortis B42 chrono. I added, that I deeply regretted doing that trade.
    Well, fast forward to today, I was working in my office this afternoon, and then my extreme Boss (...mentioned President and owner of our company) came in my office with a little boutique bag. I though to myself, okay, what does he want me to adjust now. Looked in the small bag, and saw an Omega red service clutch. He looked at me, and said "it is yours, and it it just came back from service." I looked at him, and I became speechless. He added, "I know you love watches, and I want you to have it." I reminded him, that his the exact same Omega I traded fourteen years ago. I literally began to cry with overwhelming enjoyment of his gracious jester. I had to hug him, and it was a moment I will never forget.

...of the picture, I needed to take off the Bond bracelet in order to remove a link, hence the sailcloth strap as a temporary shoe. My question to you guys, I need to find a great bottle of Scotch for my Boss?...

Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 123
Size:  2.38 MB
    Last edited by anrex; 1 Week Ago at 04:19.
    “A man with one watch knows what time it is; a man with two watches is never quite sure.” - Lee Segall

Re: Just wish to share of an unexpected gift!

Yes you do!

And congrats!

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
    anrex likes this.

Very cool

Watches are wonderful gifts
    anrex likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

God-tier boss skills right there. I bet you earned it after three decades of loyal service.

If you're asking "should you" get him some scotch, well, maybe just let his gift settle in without any hint of quid pro quo. It's just my opinion, but I always feel a kind gesture is better left unreciprocated, at least in the immediate sense. The warm glow of giving, so to speak, can be unintentionally undercut by getting something ostensibly in return for an unsolicited gift, even where given in the very best of intentions and most assuredly deserved.

But, if you're dead set on giving him something, and you're just wondering which bottle of scotch, I can't say enough good things about Macallan Fine Oak 15 years or older so long as your boss likes Speyside scotch!
    anrex, AUTOmaniak, Viseguy and 9 others like this.

Wow that's a really nice gesture.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    anrex likes this.

What an awesome story! Your boss knows how to look after his workers. You’re lucky.
    anrex likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by FullFlavorPike View Post
    God-tier boss skills right there. I bet you earned it after three decades of loyal service.

If you're asking "should you" get him some scotch, well, maybe just let his gift settle in without any hint of quid pro quo. It's just my opinion, but I always feel a kind gesture is better left unreciprocated, at least in the immediate sense. The warm glow of giving, so to speak, can be unintentionally undercut by getting something ostensibly in return for an unsolicited gift, even where given in the very best of intentions and most assuredly deserved.
    This is really good advice. Ive often felt the same way but have never been able to articulate it like this
    FullFlavorPike and rfortson like this.

Quote Originally Posted by anrex View Post
    My question to you guys, I need to find a great bottle of Scotch for my Boss?...
    If he is a peat guy that likes the smokyness, get him the Lagavulin 30.
    If he is the smooth savory type Macallan 25

Iv've had both, and dang they are good.

Name:  lagavulin-1976-30-year-old-with-presentation-box-2033-p.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  334.7 KB
    Name:  macob.25yo.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  107.5 KB
    anrex and TwentiethCenturyFox like this.
    Core Collection:
    H. Moser & Cie Venture Small Seconds 2327-0402, Omega Aqua Terra 231.53.39.21.06.002, JLC Reverso Flyback Chrono 255.182, JLC Reverso Grande Taille 270.3.62, Rolex OP 1966 1002, Ulysee Nardin Perpetual GMT 321-22, Longines Conquest 1959, Hamilton Electric Spectra 1957, Citizen AQ 4020–54Y, Bulova Accutron Astronaut

What a great boss, who obviously appreciates what you do, and who you are.

You must also be a great employee so Kudos to you for earning such respect.

You don't have to provide a gift, but a nice hand written thank you card with a personal message would be a nice touch.

Maybe you could even attach it to the scotch that way it becomes part of the thank you rather than a reciprocal gift.

I second the Macallan 25 and Lagavulin.

Both great choices, although I lean towards the Macallan myself...

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar_917 View Post
    ^^ tells the truth on Internet forums
    So many watches, So little time...
    So many watches, so little time...

The Macallan 25 is the safer bet, for sure, but oh man, that Lagavulin 30! That said, @FullFlavorPike has nailed the etiquette as far as returning the favor goes. However ... you might consider sending a handwritten thank-you note within the next week or so. Pour it on in the note, pour the Scotch later.
    Various, uh, watches....

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information