Keeping an automatic wound when not wearing it?

Thread: Keeping an automatic wound when not wearing it?

Keeping an automatic wound when not wearing it?

The strap on my Accutron Gemini broke about a week ago so it's not in use while I wait for a replacement strap to come in the mail. Should I just let the watch sit unused or should I wind the crown every day to keep it running?

If I should keep it running how many turns of the crown should I do every day to ensure that it keeps ticking?

Thanks!!

Re: Keeping an automatic wound when not wearing it?

I would say winding the crown daily is your best bet [although if your automatic winds itself down and doesnt move for a few days it's not going to hurt anything...you'll just have to re-set it...no harm done].

Based on the movement I would say anywhere from 15-25 turns of the crown per day... autos have a safety feature that will prevent the mainspring from being over wound...
    Cheers!
    Craig M.
    Somerville, MA
    The Escapement Watch Blog
    The Escapement on Twitter

“If only I had known, I should have become a watchmaker.” - Albert Einstein

Watches:
    Breitling Super Avenger Chronograph . Rolex Rebberg Trench Watch . Tag Heuer F1 Chrono . Tissot T-Touch . Tissot T-Race . Million Smart Flying Tourbillon . Zodiac Dragon Wing . Invicta Skeleton 3379 . Invicta Pro Diver 8926 . Scooby-Doo Chrono [A7750] . Alpha "Sea" . Alpha Jump Hour . Vostok CK-1 Orange . Poljot 2614.2H Movement . Gruen Quartz 'Soviet' . G-Shock GW300A-1V / G9000-8V 'Stormtrooper' . Timex Perpetual Calender . Vintage Helbros [Felsa 690 Mvt] ....Among others

Go Yankees!

All my watches (auto & hand wind) sleep in the watch box 'till I wear them. Then it's wind, set and go.

-Dave

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I would recommend winding an automatic watch just enough to get it well started (10 -15 turns), and then wear it or place in a winder.

In some automatics the stems aren't as solidly supported and flex more than a hand wound when rotated. I learned the hard way when a stem broke from hand winding too frequently.

The old Seiko auto chronographs had no provision to be started by winding and needed to be rotated to get them going. I'd imagine there were no broken stems.

It doesn't hurt an automatic to wind down when not in use.

Thread Information