Kickstarter 'Luxury' Watches
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Kickstarter 'Luxury' Watches

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Lightbulb Kickstarter 'Luxury' Watches

I don't mean to generalise but the marketing for these type of watches seems to be geared towards people who have no knowledge about moments, and quality materials and just jump at the idea of a cheap luxury watch. More and more seem to be funded each day.

I can't believe the endorsements these kickstarters have from professional publications. What kind of luxury watch has a Japanese quartz movement and is made in China?

Am I generalising too much here? Are there any good kickstarter luxury watches that aren't just marketing and actually have some quality behind it?
    chuasam likes this.

Re: Kickstarter 'Luxury' Watches

A lot of fashion watches are marketed as luxury watches. If people like the watch, and it works, I don't see how it really matters. Just because I enjoy nicer watches doesn't mean that some folks won't be very happy with something a lot cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by Likestheshiny View Post
    A lot of fashion watches are marketed as luxury watches. If people like the watch, and it works, I don't see how it really matters. Just because I enjoy nicer watches doesn't mean that some folks won't be very happy with something a lot cheaper.
    well yeah but the way these
    companies are marketing these watches is like their watches are
    comparable in quality to Rolex and Omega. When they're not. I think it's a bit misleading advertisement. Most people will think oh I'm getting a watch like a Rolex for $200 what a steal.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I️ cannot see buying a watch from Kickstarter. I️ look at buying a watch like buying new technology...I️ want to know that there is some history and the bugs have been worked out before I️ spend my money on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by WaxPython View Post
    well yeah but the way these
    companies are marketing these watches is like their watches are
    comparable in quality to Rolex and Omega. When they're not. I think it's a bit misleading advertisement. Most people will think oh I'm getting a watch like a Rolex for $200 what a steal.
    Do you have an example of a watch maker saying their products are comparable in quality to those from Omega and Rolex? I have yet to see such an advertisement.
    Gary123, drhr and kepa like this.

Vapaus did a kickstarter and has been generally well received. Not luxury though.

Anglo Irish likes this.
    "Nothing happens until something moves." -Albert Einstein
    Damasko | Hamilton | Longines | Mido | Orient | Oris | Rolex | Timex

Quote Originally Posted by John MS View Post
    Do you have an example of a watch maker saying their products are comparable in quality to those from Omega and Rolex? I have yet to see such an advertisement.
    Perhaps he is talking about Monta. In several places/blogs/interviews it is stated that the vendor that produces the watch in Switzerland also produces watches much more expensive.

The matter is that I like their offerings. I bought the Oceanking at the original price and I was very happy about it finishing an built cuality.

Recently I used the discount given to me when they lowered the price of the Oceanking to buy one of their field watches. The Triumph.

Here you have, an entry level luxury and new brand, with zero history, but with quality products that I happen to like.

Enviado desde mi Moto G (5) Plus mediante Tapatalk
    Puckbw11 likes this.

"Endorsements" would be an exaggeration. "Brief mention." Or "we wrote a PR and called it a sponsored post."
    mleok likes this.
    The truth is rarely pure and never simple.

Oscar Wilde, The Importance of Being Earnest

Quote Originally Posted by WaxPython View Post
    I don't mean to generalise but the marketing for these type of watches seems to be geared towards people who have no knowledge about moments, and quality materials and just jump at the idea of a cheap luxury watch. More and more seem to be funded each day.

I can't believe the endorsements these kickstarters have from professional publications. What kind of luxury watch has a Japanese quartz movement and is made in China?

Am I generalising too much here? Are there any good kickstarter luxury watches that aren't just marketing and actually have some quality behind it?
    ZRC (established luxury tool watch French brand with history) has a kickstarter campaign. Their watches are very much a matter of taste. But I had hands on one; very high quality... but not for me.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ktic?ref=email

Though they are trying to fund a polar Expedition; not a watch. Basically you get a limited edition watch, and they give proceeds to fund some polar explorer's recreational dive ;)
    Last edited by SethThomas; November 11th, 2017 at 17:32.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Stark View Post
    Vapaus did a kickstarter and has been generally well received. Not luxury though.

Was gonna mention them. Luxury or not would be a matter of definition. It's pretty much a $1k piece, and that'd qualify for the masses. Here, of course...not so much.
    The truth is rarely pure and never simple.

Oscar Wilde, The Importance of Being Earnest

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information