Is Kickstarter for watches <$500?
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Is Kickstarter for watches <$500?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Banned

Is Kickstarter for watches <$500?

I often browse kickstarter and I always see watches that are under $500. Most of these watches are using japanese automatic movement or swiss quartz movement i.e. Ronda.

Do you think a new watch brand with a great design, good quality and a more sophisticated movement such the ETA movement can do well on kickstarter? I would expect the watch price to be $850.

I plan on starting a KS campaign end of this year. I'm having a hard time deciding what type of movement I want to put in my watch -> Ronda or ETA. I think that the two types of movements targets to two different type of demographics, a person looking for a fashion product vs a person looking for a luxury product.

Re: Is Kickstarter for watches <$500?

I think it'll depend very much on the design of the watch and the perceived value... That being said, if you're thinking of offering a ETA movement for ~$850, the target audience will most likely be smaller than a Miyota powered watch at <$500...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not going to feed into any clichés about Kickstarter being about backers believing in your product. For a watch, most of the time you're not inventing a class of product that never existed before and needs to exist. That means the backers have to believe in *your ability to produce the product that they like and deliver.*

It then becomes about risk vs. reward.

Unlike some folks here, my money trees are pretty scrawny. Would I buy a $500 watch? Yes. Would I buy a $500 watch from someone who promises to deliver me a watch, but has never produced watches before? Uh... that's getting into VERY risky territory for me. The watch would have to be truly extraordinary and even then, that's a lot of money for me to tie up for months, even if I have absolute faith you could deliver. I don't think I could do it for a first time project, and would be very iffy on buying something that expensive site unseen (presuming the only tangible watch at the time of backing is a prototype) unless it's from a brand that has delivered awesome products several times already.

Now move that needle higher. $1000? $1500? Do you feel comfortable risking that much money with someone who has no requirement to deliver anything? KS is not fraud-free, nor do the best laid plans always come together.

I've been in on two projects that haven't failed yet, but they've faltered (non-watch related.) I'm out $50 worst case on those two. $50 is chump change I can rationalize away. A few hundred is not and >$500 is a painful monetary loss. Keeping the price in line with where enough people are willing to take the risk is a hard business decision.
    John MS likes this.
    Choose a job you love, and you'll never work a day in your life because that field isn't hiring.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Regarding the movement, if automatic, I wouldn't pay much (if any) more for an ETA 2824 or SW200 than a Miyota 9015 unless it was a Top or Chronometer grade. There's nothing particularly special or sophisticated about standard ETA movements.

Kickstarter isn't for any watch that I would care to buy. There are always better options from established brands if you know where to look.
    "The stuff that dreams are made of…" - RGM ‘801 EE Motor Barrel’

Quote Originally Posted by LassenKlar View Post
    I often browse kickstarter and I always see watches that are under $500. Most of these watches are using japanese automatic movement or swiss quartz movement i.e. Ronda.

Do you think a new watch brand with a great design, good quality and a more sophisticated movement such the ETA movement can do well on kickstarter? I would expect the watch price to be $850.

I plan on starting a KS campaign end of this year. I'm having a hard time deciding what type of movement I want to put in my watch -> Ronda or ETA. I think that the two types of movements targets to two different type of demographics, a person looking for a fashion product vs a person looking for a luxury product.
    Ronda and ETA aren't two 'types' of movement. As such "a more sophisticated movement such as the ETA movement" doesn't make much sense.

Are you trying to ask about Ronda quartz versus ETA automatic?
    Last edited by Bradjhomes; April 7th, 2015 at 11:17.
    Brad (@bradwatch)
    - appreciating fine affordable watches since 2011

When I think of all the watches I can already buy for $850 or less, I doubt there's anything a Kickstarted watch could offer that I can't already find done better for cheaper.

Would you buy a $1000+ watch from some dude(s) in a video made in China? Neither me.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Bradjhomes View Post
    Ronda and ETA aren't two 'types' of movement. As such "a more sophisticated movement such as the ETA movement" doesn't make much sense.

Are you trying to ask about Ronda quartz versus ETA automatic?
    Yes, I meant Ronda quartz versus ETA automatic.

Calgary, Canada via Marin County, California

Quote Originally Posted by LassenKlar View Post
    Yes, I meant Ronda quartz versus ETA automatic.
    And how would you secure a supply of ETA automatics when they are no longer available to manufacturers outside of Swatch Group? The only non-swatch companies still using ETA movements are those who's supply contracts haven't expired yet.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information