Kinetic Conundrum.
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Kinetic Conundrum.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Kinetic Conundrum.

OK. I don't know much about Kinetics, I'm mostly an Auto man. But I do have an interesting and unique limited edition Accutron from 2001 that has just come back from repair with new capacitor (MT 920, I think.)
    Name:  space 21.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  6.4 KB

So here is my question. There has been a great deal of debate about charging methods and how conventional Watch Winders will not work, but Accutron insists that it will on this particular watch (much to the amazement / disbelief of many on this forum)

So my question is why not?

General consensus is that the gearing on the rotor is to 'stiff'to be turned without considerable momentum and will not spin as the auto winder slowly turns. But if I gently hold the watch and turn it very slowly the rotor will move...hang...and then flip round, as if encountering some magnetic resistance. Is this how they all work? If so does this mean the winder should in fact work? Or is the problem more one of the speed of rotor travel rather than whether it move or not ?

Does anyone have any insight or idea how many turns a day it would need - I'm thinking the max – 1850 on the winder I'm looking at.

And how about direction. Again Bulova said it “should” charge inboth directions – but honestly, based on past conversations with them – if they told me the sun was coming up in the morning I would wait and see.

Any help or comment, thanks.

Re: Kinetic Conundrum.

I think the only way to find out if a watch winder will charge your watch is to try. Experiment with various turn settings. It sounds promising. Or use an inductive charger.

Winder will not wind up my 3 Seiko Kinetic, but the electric candle charger works great. I have the 6 candle version, so theoretically I could get 3 more kinetics.....not likely.
    mharris660 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by yankeexpress View Post
    Winder will not wind up my 3 Seiko Kinetic, but the electric candle charger works great. I have the 6 candle version, so theoretically I could get 3 more kinetics.....not likely.
    I'm down to one kinetic but it's hard to keep going. I don't wear it enough. The chargers never worked for it. It's some special edition dive watch, gold colored back. Now sell me that Galapagos Shock!!!

Name:  DSC_4284webA.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  417.8 KB
    yankeexpress likes this.

I could hand wind via crown my Seiko Kinetic Direct Drive. As I slow down in winding speed, the winding/power reserve indicator shows that the charging is less and less until no charging is registered. So it seems the speed of winding needs to be at some minimum for charging to occur.

I wear all four of my kinetics enough every week to keep them topped up, so no need for winder or charger.

Kinetics don’t normally wind on a winder but if you think yours would I’d give it a bash before I tried an induction charger.

Quote Originally Posted by rdoder View Post
    I could hand wind via crown my Seiko Kinetic Direct Drive. As I slow down in winding speed, the winding/power reserve indicator shows that the charging is less and less until no charging is registered. So it seems the speed of winding needs to be at some minimum for charging to occur.

I wear all four of my kinetics enough every week to keep them topped up, so no need for winder or charger.
    Thanks - im getting close to a solution. As I said in OP "If I gently hold the watch and turn it very slowly the rotor will move...hang...and then flip round, as if encountering some magnetic resistance."

So does anyone know if other kinetics exhibit this same 'jerky" rotor movement or is it smooth?
    rdoder likes this.

^ When I try to swing the rotor of my Kinetic GMT (Indicator), I could see through the transparent caseback that the rotor does not swing as freely as an Automatic's movement's rotor (so there is more resistance for sure), but I don't see jerky rotor movement. Don't know if that's because different kinetic movements show different kind of movement.

I think the resistance comes from the fact that the micro-rotor spins at a high rate, and I guess there is some magnetic resistance when that micro-rotor spins against the generating coil block? I read somewhere that the micro-rotor spins at high RPM, so a little bit of rotation from the oscillating weight translates to high-speed spinning of the micro-rotor.

watchopenia: Glow in the dark........ Seiko Kinetic SQ50 :

Name:  Seiko-Kinetic-drive-system-500x393.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  60.9 KB

https://twitter.com/teconnectivity/s...26227794608129 :

Name:  BnbyfGkCIAAdn2w.png
Views: 74
Size:  106.7 KB

The rotor charging train may also be hindered by 18 year old lubricant and built up dust.

Quote Originally Posted by John MS View Post
    The rotor charging train may also be hindered by 18 year old lubricant and built up dust.
    No. This watch has behaved like this since day 1. I have no doubt the design is intentional. It's as if there is 4 evenly spaced charging coils for each rotation.

I am going to try a winder but result data is hindered because
    A. No power reserve indicator
    B. Manual says 2 to 3 months use on a full charge, so I may not know the result for some time.

The watch has a charging port on the back. I'm going to see if I can measure a voltage. ???

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information