Kinetics & auto relay.

Thread: Kinetics & auto relay.

Kinetics & auto relay.

I used to have a Seiko kinetic that i was quite fond of but sold it when my collection grew to the point that it became obvious that it wasn't going to get enough wrist time to stay fully charged. But am i right in assuming that a kinetic with auto-relay could be worn only occasionally, without losing charge?

Re: Kinetics & auto relay.

Seiko makes a machine to induce a charge via an inductor on their kinetics. Seiko kinetics and Eta Autoquartz can both be charged on winders -- but Seikos only charge in one direction (anticlockwise I believe).

And you can pull out the crown and stop the watch to conserve the charge. Kinetics from Seiko will last months and Autoquartz from Eta will last several years if they start fully charged.

But I am not familiar with the term 'auto-relay'.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Quote Originally Posted by Eeeb View Post
    But I am not familiar with the term 'auto-relay'.
    Auto-relay is where, apparently, the mechanism 'goes to sleep' after a period of inactivity and 'wakes up' when the watch is moved, with time-keeping unaffected. As far as i know there are a few calibers, the later ones incorporating a perpetual calendar. I'd like to know if they really do function reliably like Seiko says they do, saving power for up to 4 years?

Kinetic Auto Relay | SEIKO WATCH CORPORATION

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by GlennO View Post
    Auto-relay is where, apparently, the mechanism 'goes to sleep' after a period of inactivity and 'wakes up' when the watch is moved, with time-keeping unaffected. As far as i know there are a few calibers, the later ones incorporating a perpetual calendar. I'd like to know if they really do function reliably like Seiko says they do, saving power for up to 4 years?

Kinetic Auto Relay | SEIKO WATCH CORPORATION
    I wish Seiko had kept using the auto relay technology. It would be the icing on the BFK cake.

I always assumed that the Auto Relay function was something that was standard on all Seiko kinetics nowdays. But it sounds like they've dropped it as a function in their watches, or only have it on some of their kinetics? Sounds like a useful feature to me.
    Cheers,
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by GlennO View Post
    I used to have a Seiko kinetic that i was quite fond of but sold it when my collection grew to the point that it became obvious that it wasn't going to get enough wrist time to stay fully charged. But am i right in assuming that a kinetic with auto-relay could be worn only occasionally, without losing charge?
    A kinetic can go to sleep for many months without losing the memory, depending on how fully charged it is and how new the cell is. What period of time are you talking about? If you aren't wearing the watch for over half a year you might want to consider whether you really want.

As mentioned Seiko markets an inductive charger that can be used to keep your kinetics charged. There are a couple of guys on the SCWF that successfully used a toothbrush inductive charger to keep a kinetic fully powered. You might check that forum for details.
    Last edited by John MS; December 6th, 2010 at 15:34.

I have a Seiko kinetic with auto relay and although it gets fairly limited wrist time, as little as only a few hours some months, it always wakes itself up and sets perfect time for me. It's over three years old now and using it as I do I still haven't seen the low charge indicator. I think auto relay is a great idea for dressier watches that get limited wrist time, just pick it up, put it on and there's the correct time set for you.

Thread Information