Kinetics downside?
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Donf

Thread: Kinetics downside?

Kinetics downside?

What are the negatives to a kinetic quartz Seiko? Does the battery eventually need replaced? I know mechanical watches can last a real long time. How does a kinetic watch hold up?
    Thanks in advance for knowledgeable answers.
    You can pursue freedom or free things. You choose.

Re: Kinetics downside?

Well, a kinetic is kind of the best of both worlds - quartz accuracy and a mechanical method of recharge. Oh, and it's kind of the worst of both worlds too, needs serviced for the mechanical part once in a while and the battery does eventually need replaced (so do the seals of course).

I had one years ago, the batteries (they called them a 'capacitor' or some other term that made it sound like it wasn't a battery Looked like a battery. Held an electrical charge alot like a battery. Powered the watch like one as well) went bad after a year or two which was a common complaint. They claim it's been resolved. The bracelet was pretty poor quality for a Seiko as well. It did have a sapphlex crystal (Hardlex on the back but who cares) however. In my experience then they aren't particuarly better at "holding up" than any other watch. I personally wouldn't buy another one (heck, I didn't think it was worth a new battery!)

If I wanted maximum freedom from service woes I would look at an Eco-drive instead.
    Last edited by Donf; July 31st, 2014 at 00:12.
    cabfrank likes this.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Banned

I had bought a total of 4. Two for wife and two for me. All went bad inside of 2 to 3 years max. I would think they would have it figured out by now though.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

The current generation uses a Lithium-Ion capacitor, which looks very much like a regular button battery. I expect that like a rechargeable battery, these have a finite lifespan, and will eventually need to be replaced. For me, my main gripe is that it's not always easy to keep the watch fully charged, as it can't be wound using a winder, or recharged under the sun. There was a Seiko induction charger for kinetic watches, but that was discontinued, and the remaining stock is very pricey.

If you must get a Seiko Kinetic, I would consider getting the Direct Drive models, where the power reserve can be built up by winding the crown. Having said that, I currently have a Sportura Kinetic GMT, and it arrived from the store with almost a full charge, and I have been able to keep it fully charged even though I don't wear it too regularly, so perhaps the winding efficiency has been improved in the newer models.

Patek Philippe Calatrava 5119J; Vacheron Constantin Overseas; Jaeger-LeCoultre Grande Reverso Duo; Rolex Submariner 114060; Omega Seamaster 300; Montblanc Heritage Dual Time; Tudor Black Bay.

Armida A12; Borealis Estoril; Bulova Accutron II Alpha, Moonwatch; Casio GMW-B5000D, GW-5000, GST-W310; Certina DS-2; Coach Fulton; Hamilton Khaki Field; Helson Skindiver; Orient 60th Anniversary; Seagull Tourbillon, 1963 Air Force; Seiko SNA089P, SUN025P1; Steinhart OVM; Swatch Body and Soul, Heracles, Sistem51, Uncle Charly; Victorinox Alliance, Infantry Vintage.

I own two one of them for 10 years now, ZERO problems. Granted, it was back at the day a 1k kinetic so it was top of the line.
    Still capacitor on versions above 2004 or so does not need replacements for around 20 years.

Nothing wrong with them...

My Blog http://www.horologiaprima.com
    One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art! (O.Wilde)

Banned

I just did a Google search and let's just say along with my FOUR failed kinetics there are tons of issues on the net regarding kinetics. I won't be trying another.

Quote Originally Posted by Stellite View Post
    I just did a Google search and let's just say along with my FOUR failed kinetics there are tons of issues on the net regarding kinetics. I won't be trying another.
    Nor will I.

VIEW MY SALES FEEDBACK>>>>HERE

/¯¯l¯¯¯l¯¯[_\__\]
    l¯¯ l¯¯¯l¯¯¯L-_O|||||||O_
    ¯()_)¯¯¯¯¯¯()_)¯¯¯¯¯()_)

I am not trying to criticize anyone's kinetic here, but I completely agree with the Eco-Drive preference.
    Quote Originally Posted by Donf View Post
    Well, a kinetic is kind of the best of both worlds - quartz accuracy and a mechanical method of recharge. Oh, and it's kind of the worst of both worlds too, needs serviced for the mechanical part once in a while and the battery does eventually need replaced (so do the seals of course).

I had one years ago, the batteries (they called them a 'capacitor' or some other term that made it sound like it wasn't a battery Looked like a battery. Held an electrical charge alot like a battery. Powered the watch like one as well) went bad after a year or two which was a common complaint. They claim it's been resolved. The bracelet was pretty poor quality for a Seiko as well. It did have a sapphlex crystal (Hardlex on the back but who cares) however. In my experience then they aren't particuarly better at "holding up" than any other watch. I personally wouldn't buy another one (heck, I didn't think it was worth a new battery!)

If I wanted maximum freedom from service woes I would look at an Eco-drive instead.

Banned

My mid 90's aqua land economic drive diver still runs today.

My brothers lasted about 8 years....He did not wear it for about 5-6 months, then it wouldn't work.
    He was told it was because he let it sit for too long. He said the capacitor was pretty expensive, bought another watch.
    Any watches posted may be seen as gifts,borrowed or found property and not as personal property of Little Big Feather.

Thread Information