Size:  236.9 KBName:  pocketwatch4.jpg
Views: 1092
Size:  229.4 KBName:  pocketwatch5.jpg
Views: 1022
Size:  217.4 KBName:  pocketwatch6.jpg
Views: 1038
Size:  218.5 KB

Hi,

I wonder if anyone can help? I recently inherited the above Waltham pocket watch which was presented to my great Grandfather in 1896 (and is engraved as so). Internet research has revealed that the watch serial number corresponds with 1893 manufacture, and it is of slightly above average grade being a Riverside. Sadly, it is not currently in working order (probably due to me playing with it as a small child when it was in my Grandad's box of "stuff"!)

The queries I have are to do with the watch case. It has the mark of A.L D, along with the sun, moon and star trade mark. Firstly, my research indicates that it should have just one of the grade marks, not all three. Is this unusual, or am I just confused? Secondly, the serial number on the outer and inner plates is 61. This seems a very small number to me, especially when Dennison was established in Birmingham in the 1870's. Is it that they only put part serial numbers on? The outside of the case is engraved with great Grandad's initials, so is that specially engraved cases had seperate serial numbers? Or is it, somehow, one of the earlier cases made? I am sure that someone out there will be able to enlighten me, and I would really appreciate your knowledge!

Kind regards,

Clare.

Re: A.L.D watch case on 1893 Waltham

You've got a gold filled case there and it is a Dennison case. That is about all you can tell. Case serial numbers were never recorded by the maker and as a result are useless for ID.
    The watch can be ID'd by movement serial number and the inscription on the case so it's likely original. Sometimes you'll see hallmarks on solid gold or silver cases that can date the case but here I don't think it's possible.
    Watches were cased up separately at the jeweler in most situations so the only way to ID American watches is by using the movement maker's records. As you see there is always a slight delay between manufacture and casing.

http://www.nawcc-info.org/WalthamDB/LookupSN.asp
    Last edited by Ray MacDonald; January 5th, 2013 at 01:41.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Re: A.L.D watch case on 1893 Waltham

Thanks for that knowledge, Ray. What a shame the case serial numbers weren't recorded! You're correct that there don't seem to be any date hallmarks on the case itself.

I appreciate your time,

Clare.

Thread Information