Lack of comfort: the ultimate and eventual downfall of big watches?
Like Tree177Likes

Thread: Lack of comfort: the ultimate and eventual downfall of big watches?

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Lack of comfort: the ultimate and eventual downfall of big watches?

Hi folks. I've been wearing a 46mm watch that weighs ~200g (almost half a pound!). While I love the look of the watch (got nothing against the clown look; I get why big watches could look good), I think lack of comfort might be the uultimate and eventual downfall of the big watch trend. I size my watches a bit loose so as to prevent my hand going numb when my wrist expands. That means the watch could shift around length-wise. I find that the heavier a watch is, the more likely the watch will slip down to my wrist when my arm is in the vertical/down position. When that happens, I can't flex my wrist back and forth without being restricted by the watch. (Not that I need to flex my wrist regularly when I have my arm down, but the resrestricted feeling doesn't feel good.) What makes it worse with big watches is that the heavy weight makes the watch dig into my hand, and the large diameter of the case, large width of the bracelet, and big crown ensure maximum movement restriction and digging into the hand respectively, while a 36mm light weight watch with smaller everything does less of all those things. Lesson learned. If comfort is king as someone else mentioned in another thread, big/heavy watches can't last, unless they could be made light weight and have expansion spring on bracelet to allow snug fit on the arm without the watch falling down to the wrist.
    John MS, Toothbras, UKMike and 2 others like this.

Re: Lack of comfort: the ultimate and eventual downfall of big watches?

I applaud you for your honesty.
    Sooooo, what 36mm. you gonna get?
    rdoder, Stellite and falcon4311 like this.
    Any watches posted may be seen as gifts,borrowed or found property and not as personal property of Little Big Feather.

Quote Originally Posted by little big feather View Post
    I applaud you for your honesty.
    Sooooo, what 36mm. you gonna get?
    I don't have a watch to purchase in mind yet, waiting to see if any watch sings to me. Nowadays I'm more of a watch wearer and a forum participant than a watch buyer! I have some smaller, lighter watches that I rotate to when the big watch feeling gets to be too much. The most comfortable watch that I have might be the vintage Tudor from my Dad. It's got folded links and folded end-links, which might make the watch lighter? It's not my lightest watch (my Seiko dress watch on leather strap is lighter, probably due to the leather strap), but the Tudor is small, surprisingly light, and feels very evenly distributed in weight (as opposed to feeling case-heavy and the case side weighing down on the wrist). The unfortunate thing is that I'm too cheapskate to pay $300 to service the Tudor, so I don't really wear it.

In a way, luxury watch companies like Rolex that offer more traditionally sized options are selling more comfortable watches than other more trendy brands, so props for that!
    Last edited by rdoder; April 3rd, 2015 at 13:21.
    little big feather likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Oh I wish this were so, but there are many many people who still want big and bigger. When I stoped by the AD just to look around there are people stacked up looking at PAMs, POs and Breitlings. I tried on the new ExpII and commented that it was a tad too large for me, and the salesman laughed noting that most people said it was still too small.
    rdoder and UKMike like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Seaswirl View Post
    I tried on the new ExpII and commented that it was a tad too large for me, and the salesman laughed
    You should have grabbed a Panerai Egiziano and beat him up with it to teach him a lesson about oversized watches.

If this were the case, women would have stopped wearing high heels a thousand years ago.....And Bras for that matter, and girdles.....

Banned

Ok, so here is a true story that happened to me a year or so ago at my AD. I was wavering between the black/blue GMT and a SubC. My AD tells me that there is another regular that is coming to see the Blue/Black GMT. At the time I was wearing my Deepblue Depthmaster 3000 which is 49mm diameter and 19mm thick. I bought it primarily to test if I liked a watch that big and see if I could ever wear the Rolex DeepSea. So as I am comparing the SubC and GMT, the other guys walks in with no watch on his wrist. He is a little taller than me but our wrist size looks to be the same at 7.5". He sees me trying on the GMT and says that it is a tiny watch and he won't buy it. I say, 40mm is not tiny. He then looks at my Depthmaster 3000 and says, that's more like it. After he leaves, I ask my AD what he owns and the guy apparently has one of every Daytona ever made. He also had just bought a gold skydweller. So he had the nerve to say that the GMT was tiny, but yet owns upwards of 20 daytonas. WTF. Because of people like this, I don't think the big watch fad is going to be over any time soon.
    rdoder and Seaswirl like this.

And there is the issue of the crown digging into your hand and the inability to get the watch under a shirt cuff.
    rdoder, RickF. and UKMike like this.

I have an 8 1/2 wrist, so large watches (save a few that are just too big) work for me. Just acquired an EcoZilla and its working for me.
    Could it be the smaller the wrist size, the higher the degree of uncomfortability a large watch delivers? Thats my take on the issue.
    But I also have watches that are in the 42,44 mm sizes.
    So IMO it's a judgement call.

X traindriver Art
    rdoder and kgtardiff like this.

I don't think so. Many (mainly younger) people who wear oversized watches have never worn a much smaller lighter watch and would not be aware of the comfort advantages. Also, I suspect that many are also accustomed to the weight on the wrist and falsely equate it with watch quality.

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread Information