Laminating a watch crystal?
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Laminating a watch crystal?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Laminating a watch crystal?

I've got a watch with a flat mineral crystal, no cyclops, and the crystal is flawless. I was thinking that, to KEEP it that way, it might be possible to glue a flat sapphire crystal on top of it?

I don't mind if the sapphire sticks up a little, as it does on the Lunar Pilot (initially i was sort of puzzled by the LP, but have gotten used to it now).

Is there a certain type of adhesive which would be good for this? Should dry completely transparent and with no bubbles.

Just a thought experiment

Re: Laminating a watch crystal?

I'm making this all up, I have no experience here, but: Wouldn't it be easier and better to just buff the mineral crystal if damaged, and to replace it if not fixed by buffing? I'd imagine whatever laminate you put on would be less durable than the crystal you're covering.
    A. Lange & Söhne 1815 Annual Calendar | Glashütte Original Senator Observer | Rolex GMT-II 116710 BLNR | Panerai 00524 Flyback | Tudor Pelagos | Magrette Dual Time

So laminate is the wrong word. But there is a company that got its start taking helicopter blade film and adapting it to phone screens. It's called Invisible Shield and I believe you can still buy it in sheets. It's pretty darn clear for a self-healing film.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Why not just buy a sapphire crystal of the correct size and have a watchmaker swap the crystals?
    MZhammer, JacobC and ffritz like this.
    Powered by 1.21 Gigawatts

You "laminate" floors not a watch.

You can search on Amazon for watch screen protector. I have a few on my Casio G-Shock squares.
    drdas007 likes this.

Patek Philippe Calatrava 5119J; Vacheron Constantin Overseas; Jaeger-LeCoultre Grande Reverso Duo; Rolex Submariner 114060; Omega Seamaster 300; Montblanc Heritage Dual Time; Tudor Black Bay.

Armida A12; Borealis Estoril; Bulova Accutron II Alpha, Moonwatch; Casio GMW-B5000D, GW-5000, GST-W310; Certina DS-2; Coach Fulton; Hamilton Khaki Field; Helson Skindiver; Orient 60th Anniversary; Seagull Tourbillon, 1963 Air Force; Seiko SNA089P, SUN025P1; Steinhart OVM; Swatch Body and Soul, Heracles, Sistem51, Uncle Charly; Victorinox Alliance, Infantry Vintage.

Quote Originally Posted by mleok View Post
    You can search on Amazon for watch screen protector. I have a few on my Casio G-Shock squares.
    Brilliant! I was thinking about a product like the Gorilla Glass screen protector on my iPhone; it was a breeze to install, tough as nails and the edges are nicely rounded. If someone made a product like that in a 40mm round, that would be perfect. Turns out Amazon is infested with them. Dunno if they are Gorilla Glass or rounded, but if I wanted to do what the OP suggests they would be perfect.
    It rubs it's skin with the lotion, or else it gets the hose again!
    I love the smell of carbamide in the morning, it smells like VICTORY.
    That ain't a double, I just like to stutter.

Quote Originally Posted by MX793 View Post
    Why not just buy a sapphire crystal of the correct size and have a watchmaker swap the crystals?
    ..or wait until the glass is actually scratched up and then do the swap?

Quote Originally Posted by ffritz View Post
    ..or wait until the glass is actually scratched up and then do the swap?
    Because I wanted something which could be done without dismantling the watch..."An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure"

Quote Originally Posted by Ron521 View Post
    I've got a watch with a flat mineral crystal, no cyclops, and the crystal is flawless. I was thinking that, to KEEP it that way, it might be possible to glue a flat sapphire crystal on top of it?

I don't mind if the sapphire sticks up a little, as it does on the Lunar Pilot (initially i was sort of puzzled by the LP, but have gotten used to it now).

Is there a certain type of adhesive which would be good for this? Should dry completely transparent and with no bubbles.

Just a thought experiment
    Seiko did something similar to that with Sapphlex crystals. I understand there were long term adhesion problems and Seiko now uses sapphire. I'm sure you could affix a sapphire crystal much like cyclops magnifiers are attached. But getting a correct size with an edge that blends with the existing crystal and centering it will be a challenge. The risk is a mod that degrades the appearance of your watch. The screen saver materials sound promising but they too will ultimately show wear.

You may want to wait and polish the damage once it becomes annoying.
    ffritz likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information