Larger vintage watches?
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Larger vintage watches?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Larger vintage watches?

I'd love to pick up a nice vintage piece or two, but with my mammoth wrists and general size those older smaller watches just look ridiculous. Are there any nice vintage watches in the 40mm+ range? ...

No.. is an acceptable answer.

Re: Larger vintage watches?

A vintage Blancpain Fifty Fathoms comes immediately to mind

Kindest Regards,
    Portauto
    Rotation: IWC Portuguese 5001-09 7-Day; Glashütte Original PanoReserve; Rolex Oyster 6480 (1955); TAG Heuer 2000 Professional
    Sold: Seiko MarineMaster SBDX001; Omega Seamaster Professional; Steinhart Nav.B-Uhr II B-Type; Wilson Pilot with Sea-Gull ST36
    Older: Tissot Visodate Heritage 1957; Sea-Gull 819.315; Citizen Promaster Navitach JQ8020-52L; Casio DBC-61 Databank Digital (first watch)
    Daily Wear: Apple Watch Series 4 Hermes 40mm
    My Wife's: Cartier Tank Solo W5200005; Apple Watch Series 4 GPS 40mm

Maybe some of the vintage chronos would meet your needs. Not a lot of 1940s vintage that would, unfortunately.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

v76

There are quite a few watches from the '70s, especially C-case ones (more often chronographs than not) which might be 40mm or more in dia.
    Collection:
    A few of this and some of the other ...

"I worked my way up from nothing to a state of extreme poverty" - Groucho Marx

Vostok Amphibias come in at 39/40 mm, even the old ones.

Not all of them have silly dials with tanks or paratroopers

Calgary, Canada via Marin County, California

Sure. A vintage Omega Speedmaster Professional (manual wind "moon watch" or "pre-moon") will fit the bill nicely. It's timeless, looks better on the wrist than pictures of the watch would lead you to believe, and it's 42mm. Get one.... you'll love it. The manual wind "Professional" is larger than the automatic versions.

I have a 1969 Speedy Pro (the year of Armstrong & Aldrin's landing), pre-moon version (before they changed the back and started calling it the "moon watch" for marketing value). It was my holy grail, and everything that I've added to my collection since is gravy. Aside from the fact the hands and markers no longer glow, the watch looks almost like it came out of the box.

Here's a pic of my '69 with the standard bracelet from that year as well as an Omega Kevlar strap from a Speedmaster X33. These watches look amazing with everything from black and brown leather straps to NATO straps (I sometimes wear it with a Bond strap).

Name:  S_c_watches_003.jpg
Views: 2569
Size:  54.2 KB

Name:  S_speedykevlar_2.jpg
Views: 1456
Size:  17.8 KB
    Last edited by BrentYYC; February 7th, 2012 at 03:21.
    Doboji and CCJ like this.

Banned

If you want to go really in tune with the current fashion for XL sized watches, maybe 55mm would suit you?

And it will not lose in value either. Could be your best watch investment!!

v76

Two large vintage Zeniths from the 1970s ...

(borrowed images)

Both of them well over 40mm (in the 43-44mm range).
    Collection:
    A few of this and some of the other ...

"I worked my way up from nothing to a state of extreme poverty" - Groucho Marx

Quote Originally Posted by BrentYYC View Post
    Sure. A vintage Omega Speedmaster Professional (manual wind "moon watch" or "pre-moon") will fit the bill nicely. It's timeless, looks better on the wrist than pictures of the watch would lead you to believe, and it's 42mm. Get one.... you'll love it. The manual wind "Professional" is larger than the automatic versions.

I have a 1969 Speedy Pro (the year of Armstrong & Aldrin's landing), pre-moon version (before they changed the back and started calling it the "moon watch" for marketing value). It was my holy grail, and everything that I've added to my collection since is gravy. Aside from the fact the hands and markers no longer glow, the watch looks almost like it came out of the box.

Here's a pic of my '69 with the standard bracelet from that year as well as an Omega Kevlar strap from a Speedmaster X33. These watches look amazing with everything from black and brown leather straps to NATO straps (I sometimes wear it with a Bond strap).

Name:  S_c_watches_003.jpg
Views: 2569
Size:  54.2 KB

Name:  S_speedykevlar_2.jpg
Views: 1456
Size:  17.8 KB
    NICE!... Now that's an Omega I could see myself wearing, and much more in a reasonable price range.

Banned

If you like Omegas, and do not mind Quartz movements ( in fact, it has two):

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information