? for lawyers re: watch choice in public

Thread: ? for lawyers re: watch choice in public

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

? for lawyers re: watch choice in public

I'm a lawyer, and I spend a fair amount of time (for a civil litigator) in public (in court etc.)

I usually make a point to go pretty "conservative" for court appearances or when I'm in front of a jury, i.e., no cufflinks, no contrast collar shirts, no funky looking designer suits, no funky-lookin square-toed shoes, etc. (actually, the only one of those I wear to begin with are cufflinks . . . ). I have a conservative client base, and I think my audience expects a conservative look.

As I have been acquiring more and more watches (and they seem to be getting larger and larger in size) the problem becomes this: I don't really wanna wear some of these things in public for fear of being too "in your face" or "showy" (or even remotely so).

I'm kind of leaning towards dragging my old Seiko plain jane quartz (black face, on a folded (gasp!) oyster band) out of the back of the closet for public appearnaces.

Anyone else downgrade their hardware when they need to be in public?

Re: ? for lawyers re: watch choice in public

if i were you i would just wear a non date rolex sub, steel on steel. pretty conservitave, yet is a rgged utilitarian peice, and w/o the cyclops or date most people wont recognize it as a rolex.

I wore my Kobold SEAL on a Delaurian Stitchless Black Widow when I testified on a death-penalty case last week. The only one who commented on it was the DA, and he liked it a lot.
    Scott

Life is tough. It's tougher if you're stupid.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Mugnut View Post
    I'm a lawyer, and I spend a fair amount of time (for a civil litigator) in public (in court etc.)

I usually make a point to go pretty "conservative" for court appearances or when I'm in front of a jury, i.e., no cufflinks, no contrast collar shirts, no funky looking designer suits, no funky-lookin square-toed shoes, etc. (actually, the only one of those I wear to begin with are cufflinks . . . ). I have a conservative client base, and I think my audience expects a conservative look.

As I have been acquiring more and more watches (and they seem to be getting larger and larger in size) the problem becomes this: I don't really wanna wear some of these things in public for fear of being too "in your face" or "showy" (or even remotely so).

I'm kind of leaning towards dragging my old Seiko plain jane quartz (black face, on a folded (gasp!) oyster band) out of the back of the closet for public appearnaces.

Anyone else downgrade their hardware when they need to be in public?

I don't think you have anything to fear. Alot of even the cheapest quality watches people wear today have a large case size and are quite 'blingy" as some would like to refer to them. Given the amount of people who could actually spot a quality timepiece on your wrist and given your a lawyer you might actually find a person who can admire you and show you a little respect for the quality in your tastes. Pony up, wear the watch and show your clients you can get the job done. Sure wish I could wear my mech's to work!!

One of my "next" list watches is a Swiss Army Ambassador automatic...25 jewels.. has the date window. It may be a little "lower end", Im basing this on price, but its a great solid watch that is also a solid value. IMO they dont stand out... they just look great without being overwhelming. The word subtle comes to mind. From what Ive seen they can be had for $500-600.

Check it out...

In silver:
    http://www.princetonwatches.com/shop/24150.asp

In black:
    http://www.princetonwatches.com/shop/24148.asp

In blue:
    http://www.princetonwatches.com/shop/241072.asp

Good luck!
    - Nick

Cars or Watches... that is the question!

I'd think an attorney would want to wear a Frank Muller "Crazy Hours", great for billing...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Greetings from that Island they call Long!

I usually wear my Ball Engineer Master II Classic on a gator strap:

I'm getting a Ball Engineer Master II Moonglow to serve as my "going to court" white-dialed watch (on black gator strap), as I wait for the March shipment of Stowa Marine Originals:

This Limes Cartouche Klassic is the perfect white-dialed dress watch for court, but at just under 38mm, it was smaller than I like:

Surprisingly, this Sinn UX fits very well under cuffs. I just got it this week, so I'm going to give it a try with my suit next week:

(used with permission)

Rob
    Last edited by roberev; February 11th, 2007 at 00:50.

I have to testify fairly often as an "expert witness" [an accident reconstructionist (not a cop)] and I'm thinking of getting a Mickey Mouse watch to try to avoid the elitist image conferred by the word "expert".

Quote Originally Posted by artec View Post
    I have to testify fairly often as an "expert witness" [an accident reconstructionist (not a cop)] and I'm thinking of getting a Mickey Mouse watch to try to avoid the elitist image conferred by the word "expert".

LOL! Nice, I wonder if they have a "Bob the Builder" watch that might work for ya.

I spend a reasonable amount of time around British courts (on the goodies side) and taking into account the anal nature of the establishment I've noticed solicitors and barristers wearing everything from Timex to Rolex (one counterfeit) and plain to blingy but nobody gives a toss!
    If I ever cross the pond and get into bother with the authorities I don't care what my brief wears as long as he's bloody good.
    Wear what you like guys.
    Best regards
    Andy
    Rolex Sea-Dweller
    Breitling Chrono Avenger Titanium.
    Doxa Sub 750T Pro CC.
    Stowa Seatime.
    Aristo Dakar
    Mudman GW-9000-1JF
    PAW1300T-7VCR
    Gulfman G-9100-2ER
    GW-M5600-1ER