Le Coultre
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Jimmie M

Thread: Le Coultre

Le Coultre

I have an opportunity to buy a Le Coultre watch. My understanding is that it was made in the US (possibly by Longines?) Does it have any affiliation with Jaeger Le Coultre? Can you comment on the quality of this timepiece, its resale value etc?

Seiko, Cartier Moderator Athram's Avatar

Re: Le Coultre

It is the same company as Jaeger LeCoultre. LeCoultre became Jaeger LeCoultre after the surname name of the man, Edmond Jaeger, who gave them the task of making ultra thin pocket watches in 1903.

Vintage LeCoultre watches are high quality and are usually quite collectible and generally hold their value fairly well. However parts and repairs can be very expensive, especially if you send the watch to JLC themselves.

The association with Longines is that during the 50s LeCoultre timepieces were distributed in North American by the Longines-Wittnauer Group.
    Last edited by Athram; September 4th, 2012 at 04:29.

From Wikipedia:

LeCoultre in North America

Watches sold in North America were sold under the LeCoultre name from 1932 to approximately 1985. After that the Jaeger-LeCoultre name was adopted uniformly worldwide. According to factory records, the last movement to be used in an American LeCoultre watch shipped out of Le Sentier in 1976.
    There is substantial confusion over the use of LeCoultre name for the North American market. Some collectors and misinformed dealers make the erroneous claim that the American LeCoultre has nothing to do with Jaeger-LeCoultre Switzerland. The confusion stems from the fact that, in the 1950s, the North American distributor of LeCoultre watches was the Longines-Wittnauer Group, which was also responsible for the distribution of Vacheron Constantin timepieces. Collectors have confused this distribution channel with the manufacture of the watches. Outside the actual distribution channel, the LeCoultre product, at the manufacturing level, had nothing to do with either Longines, Wittnauer or Vacheron Constantin — with one exception of the "Galaxy", an upmarket mysterious dial diamond watch. According to Zaf Basha, p. 192, Galaxy is a collaboration between Vacheron & Constantin and LeCoultre for the American market. It has got LeCoultre in the front and Vacheron & Constantin — LeCoultre stamped on the case. In addition, the LeCoultre trademark was owned by the Société Anonyme de la Fabrique D'Horlogerie LeCoultre & Cie, Le Sentier. The LeCoultre trademark expired and was replaced by the Jaeger-LeCoultre trademark in 1985.[3]
    Rotation: IWC Portuguese 5001-09 7-Day; Glashütte Original PanoReserve; Rolex Oyster 6480 (1955); TAG Heuer 2000 Professional
    Sold: Seiko MarineMaster SBDX001; Omega Seamaster Professional; Steinhart Nav.B-Uhr II B-Type; Wilson Pilot with Sea-Gull ST36
    Older: Tissot Visodate Heritage 1957; Sea-Gull 819.315; Citizen Promaster Navitach JQ8020-52L; Casio DBC-61 Databank Digital (first watch)
    Daily Wear: Apple Watch Series 4 Hermes 40mm
    My Wife's: Cartier Tank Solo W5200005; Apple Watch Series 4 GPS 40mm

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Banned

In other words, a Jaeger leCoultre movement cased in the US to lessen the Import Duties.
    The movements are usually marked "Unadjusted" which is not correct, but sgain, the Duty tariff was lower tor such movements.

Quality? JLC quality of that era
    Resale? I find that they used more interesting cases in the US at that time than in traditional Switzerland.
    Value depends on the case. Personally ( Yes, I am looking for a nice, interesting one) the same as JLC.
    Last edited by Janne; September 4th, 2012 at 05:47.

Cool Re: Le Coultre

Here's a nice one I inherited from my granduncle. His gold retirement watch for late 70s.

Janne likes this.

Thread Information