Leather Watch Pads

Thread: Leather Watch Pads

Leather Watch Pads

I'm looking for a leather watch pad to lay my watches; don't like the hassle of wrapping them around pillows in a watch box. I was thinking of the pads they use in jewelry stores to display watches or the foldable types that the sales rep uses to give the customer a hands-on view. Ideal size would be 12-13" x 12-13" and the leather would be a smooth calfskin or full grain in black or white. Price should be less than $30. I was considering mouse pads (too small) or fabricating one by stretching a skin over a masonite panel, but I'm sure there are WUS members that have a better solution / source. Thanks in advance!

Re: Leather Watch Pads

How about some type of rubber mat or material from a hardware store

I use a velvet covered pad that was advertised as a pad for jewelry. Very inexpensive (under $10) can be found on eBay or various jeweler supply websites.
    -Jarrod

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by DIRTY_S30 View Post
    How about some type of rubber mat or material from a hardware store
    The rubber mat could be used on the underside of the panel to grip the desktop surface.

Quote Originally Posted by watch-man7777 View Post
    I use a velvet covered pad that was advertised as a pad for jewelry. Very inexpensive (under $10) can be found on eBay or various jeweler supply websites.
    I prefer to stick with leather. Velvet collects too much dust. As for leather pads, I've only seen faux leather on eBay.

How about a bench mat?

A Bergeon 2746 Bench Mat is about $40 and a Horotec "Bergeon Copy" Bench Mat with Self-Adhesive Back is about $20. I use a AF Switzerland Bench Mat and it was about $16.

You can see them on the page here.
    Cheers,
    Gerry

Ball Hydrocarbon GMT I, Citizen Navihawk, Casio PAW1300-3V, IWC Aquatimer Chronograph, Rolex GMT-Master II, O&W ID3066, Seiko AGS Flightmaster, Baume & Mercier World Timer, Zenith Stratos Striking Tenth Felix Baumgartner

That's an interesting suggestion. I was thinking of a pad primarily for display purposes, though a bench mat could serve double duty for repairs. Regarding the AF Switzerland Bench Mat, does the top surface have a soft vinyl / faux leather feel to it? Or is it more of a hard plastic often found on mouse pads?

Quote Originally Posted by sf15 View Post
    I'm looking for a leather watch pad to lay my watches; don't like the hassle of wrapping them around pillows in a watch box. I was thinking of the pads they use in jewelry stores to display watches or the foldable types that the sales rep uses to give the customer a hands-on view. Ideal size would be 12-13" x 12-13" and the leather would be a smooth calfskin or full grain in black or white. Price should be less than $30. I was considering mouse pads (too small) or fabricating one by stretching a skin over a masonite panel, but I'm sure there are WUS members that have a better solution / source. Thanks in advance!
    Display pads like the one you mentioned can be purchased from jewlery and watch supply houses. My concern with that solution is that the watch top and sides are still unprotected. I think it's inevitable that something will get dropped on or banged into those watches whether stored on a dresser or in a drawer. A 12 watch leather case doesn't take up all that much room and looks good as well.

Quote Originally Posted by sf15 View Post
    That's an interesting suggestion. I was thinking of a pad primarily for display purposes, though a bench mat could serve double duty for repairs. Regarding the AF Switzerland Bench Mat, does the top surface have a soft vinyl / faux leather feel to it? Or is it more of a hard plastic often found on mouse pads?
    It feels fairly soft - but thin - to me. You may want to try one of the slightly higher cost ones.
    Cheers,
    Gerry

Ball Hydrocarbon GMT I, Citizen Navihawk, Casio PAW1300-3V, IWC Aquatimer Chronograph, Rolex GMT-Master II, O&W ID3066, Seiko AGS Flightmaster, Baume & Mercier World Timer, Zenith Stratos Striking Tenth Felix Baumgartner

Quote Originally Posted by John MS View Post
    Display pads like the one you mentioned can be purchased from jewlery and watch supply houses. My concern with that solution is that the watch top and sides are still unprotected. I think it's inevitable that something will get dropped on or banged into those watches whether stored on a dresser or in a drawer. A 12 watch leather case doesn't take up all that much room and looks good as well.
    The pad will be stationary on a desktop surface so no requirement for a tray or case. Take a look at 0:13 in the Buick ad. Bonus points for anyone that can identify the watch models!

Quote Originally Posted by k7lro View Post
    It feels fairly soft - but thin - to me. You may want to try one of the slightly higher cost ones.
    Thanks for the info.

Any other suggestions or experiences with watch pads?

Thread Information