Lending a friend a watch, Do you do it?

Thread: Lending a friend a watch, Do you do it?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Lending a friend a watch, Do you do it?

Has anyone lent a friend a watch to try it out to or because they needed one for an occasion or any other reason?

I ask because i lent a close friend my seiko 5 (snk805) so he could see if he likes the auto movement, and the cloth strap that it came with.
    generally its my daily watch but i have plenty of others to wear so i told him to keep it for as long as he liked.
    Now he has decided that yes, he really likes the strap, and the auto, and the watch full stop. I told him that they are pretty cheap and he can get one on the bay for around $80. but he is pretty short on cash at the moment and was hoping he could just buy mine off me, especially since i had mentioned that i was planning on getting another anyway so that i could try my hand at modding it a little. He seemed rather hurt when i told him that i really wasn't willing to sell my watch, that wasn't the point in my lending it to him. I ended up telling him to hold onto it until he could afford one of his own.
    So now i feel bad for trying to do a good WISlike (thats a word right?) thing. But im just not willing to part with my watch, another one wouldn't be the same

Anyone else have experiences loaning their watches out to people?

Ozy

Re: Lending a friend a watch, Do you do it?

I just give my mates watches. Lending them seems, illogical...

I don't lend watches to friends. As illustrated in your example, I don't want them to get attached to it or have to be responsible for any damages that may occur. I treat my underwear the same way.

However, if it's a "throw away" watch or pair of undies, then I wouldn't care.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

lvt

I wouldn't recommend lending a valuable watch (I mean both sentimental and financial values) to a person who doesn't have a good knowledge in mechanical watch, there are many ways to harm an auto movement.
    Ball - Casio (G-shock) - HMT - Longines - Parnis - Seagull - Steinhart - Tissot - Victorinox - Yema

I just have one friend who borrows some of my watches from time to time. He almost bought one but fell short of cash before we could seal the deal. Hmm...its pretty similar to the OP's situation . I think I'll ask him to return it now .
    Are you watching closely?
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My blog:
    http://watchesindia.blogspot.com/
    Instagram: @crazystrobist

actually i'm giving it to my mate. i know he really want and need it, but because of some situation and other consideration, he abort the buying. i just givin' it. i thought it will be the most valuable watch he owned. though for a couple years from now he may bought some fancy and expensive watches, he'll never forget watch i gave to him.

It is hard for me to fathom the rationale in lending someone a watch. If the person is a WIS (watch aficionado), then he or she will definitely have his or her own watches. If the person is not a WIS, then he or she can hie to the local discount store and pick up a quartz watch for around $20. Lending a watch that costs hundreds or even thousands of dollars to someone who does not appreciate fine watches is an invitation to trouble. Non-WIS people would think nothing of returning a Rolex or Omega with scratches or dings. If you don't want to be mortified, then don't offer to lend a watch!

I have never lent any of my friends or family one of my watches. Only because no one has ever asked me.

Quote Originally Posted by 2wheelsmoker View Post
    I don't lend watches to friends. As illustrated in your example, I don't want them to get attached to it or have to be responsible for any damages that may occur. I treat my underwear the same way.

However, if it's a "throw away" watch or pair of undies, then I wouldn't care.
    Hahahah.

"You know you're not in high finance, considering second-hand underpants"

Quote Originally Posted by GraVity76 View Post
    Has anyone lent a friend a watch to try it out to or because they needed one for an occasion or any other reason?

I ask because i lent a close friend my seiko 5 (snk805) so he could see if he likes the auto movement, and the cloth strap that it came with.
    generally its my daily watch but i have plenty of others to wear so i told him to keep it for as long as he liked.
    Now he has decided that yes, he really likes the strap, and the auto, and the watch full stop. I told him that they are pretty cheap and he can get one on the bay for around $80. but he is pretty short on cash at the moment and was hoping he could just buy mine off me, especially since i had mentioned that i was planning on getting another anyway so that i could try my hand at modding it a little. He seemed rather hurt when i told him that i really wasn't willing to sell my watch, that wasn't the point in my lending it to him. I ended up telling him to hold onto it until he could afford one of his own.
    So now i feel bad for trying to do a good WISlike (thats a word right?) thing. But im just not willing to part with my watch, another one wouldn't be the same

Anyone else have experiences loaning their watches out to people?
    Sounds like you and your friend have very different views on what friendship means. That said, I would lend a friend a watch, just as I would a belt or other similar article if the situation came up. Thinking about it I have probably given a lot more watches as gifts than lent them. My brother-in-law had his watch die so on the spot I gave him a Casio that wasn't seeing much wrist time.
    Last edited by John MS; March 17th, 2010 at 14:39.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information