A lesson in watch snobbery
Like Tree402Likes

Thread: A lesson in watch snobbery

Page 1 of 24 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

A lesson in watch snobbery

Hi all,

Just wanted to share a funny little story with you I experienced the other week.

I was away for work and found myself in a shopping centre where the lure of watch shopping got the better of me.. I popped into a Rolex AD and the gentlemen in there enquired about my watch (On this day was a cheap Dan Henry 1964). Upon learning this his tone changed completely and was unwilling to assist me further (He conveniently didn’t have what I was looking for either..)

I ended up purchasing a 38mm Zenith El Primero from another AD in the shopping centre and I desperately wish I had returned to Rolex so he could comment further. He still probably would’ve told me it’s not Rolex quality but the movement was good enough for your Daytona for a number of years!

Worth bearing in mind that I am only 24 and this does affect how some people treat you in terms of a customer. Has anyone else experienced this when shopping in AD’s? Doesn’t particularly bother me but made me chuckle.

Name:  1AD135E3-A6F3-46EB-94D7-C569785A9945.jpeg
Views: 341
Size:  3.27 MB

I was treated well in Shreve, Crump, and Lowe in Boston MA, while dressed pretty shabby.

Granted, I'm 50, grey hair, and was wearing a Sinn 556A, but I fully expected to be ignored.

Instead, an attentive young guy inquired if I needed assistance, backed off when I said I was just browsing, and then was helpful and at least acted engaged when I asked to try on a couple of lower-end watches.
    Watches are life. Live to Watch, Watch to Live. Do you even Watch, bro?

Re: A lesson in watch snobbery

Many moons ago I called into a jewellers dressed to kill (before I became a full time slob) to try some Rolex on. The salesman nearly fell over himself offering me and the SO a cup of tea/coffee. So effusive was he that a woman in the shop who was buying a gold chain wondered out loud how she could get service like that.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I saw car dealer snobbery a few times. I'm a reasonably scruffy person - I like to wear t-shirts and shorts, I have long hair. I like Jaguars, a couple of times I've seen a slightly skeptical look when a sales person I haven't met before sees me wandering around and asks if I want help. Service desk newbies too - when they key in my license plate and the model pops up.

Quote Originally Posted by system11 View Post
    I saw car dealer snobbery a few times. I'm a reasonably scruffy person - I like to wear t-shirts and shorts, I have long hair. I like Jaguars, a couple of times I've seen a slightly skeptical look when a sales person I haven't met before sees me wandering around and asks if I want help. Service desk newbies too - when they key in my license plate and the model pops up.
    I love this. I’m fortunate enough to have a nice German saloon as a company car and often get looks of confusion when getting into it myself.

Quote Originally Posted by mconlonx View Post
    I was treated well in Shreve, Crump, and Lowe in Boston MA, while dressed pretty shabby.

Granted, I'm 50, grey hair, and was wearing a Sinn 556A, but I fully expected to be ignored.

Instead, an attentive young guy inquired if I needed assistance, backed off when I said I was just browsing, and then was helpful and at least acted engaged when I asked to try on a couple of lower-end watches.

Maybe it’s just the British! We are a funny bunch sometimes.
    Simon likes this.

I've been treated pretty well at AD's even though I *look* "young". I even had on an el cheapo beater once. People here in Orange County and San Diego, CA are all over the board in terms of wealth and how they dress, so it's not good to assume too much. The car dealership in LA was different though. First salesman I got was a snob who acted like a stereotype and had no class. Seemed like a newbie who thought he was big business and didn't really want to help me. A seasoned guy, much older steps in and with a much nicer attitude. I bought a car there that day and the commission didn't go to the snob.
    Last edited by heywatchit!!; August 1st, 2019 at 18:04.
    Thomas Miko likes this.

I have a buddy who bought a new Mercedes S500 while wearing cargo shorts and flip flops.

A good salesman will treat everyone like they're a millionaire, because you never know.

watchuseek double post

Never shopped for such a high end watch, but I have experienced exactly what you are talking about at gun shows before. I like the old military stuff, which is odd for a kid at 19 years of age, and I look younger than that. Give you an idea I was recently at a show and saw this guy carrying around a US model of 1917 on one shoulder and some sort of south American Mauser on the other. I politely ask him about his 1917, he hands it to me. (however I could tell he was thinking some idiot kid played a video game and wants a real gun, even though I have shot competitively and am knowledgeable on those things). I look it over (really nice gun, early production Winchester), and ask him a little about it, and then how much he wants. He says $750 (too high for a rifle with questionable bore, he had not cleaned it), takes his gun and walks off. fast forward 5 minutes, I tell dad about this rifle, and dad caught him an isle over looks it over, determined what I had and bargains the guy down to $550. Gets it home, cleans the bore and it was perfect. Frustrated to this day, I found the deal, but due to my age I was not taken seriously, even though I had more than enough money in my pocket to pay his asking price. It happens more than it should.
    brandon\, rcsub, 71 TRUCK and 1 others like this.

Page 1 of 24 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information