Let's have an honest discussion.
Like Tree9Likes
  • 6 Post By Torrid
  • 3 Post By fastward

Thread: Let's have an honest discussion.

Banned

Off Topic post Let's have an honest discussion.

I think we are all basically adults here, so as an adult asking other adults a question, are we capable of handling a little conflict?

I've been a member of many forums both car and watch related, WUS being the first watch forum I had ever joined. I noticed something different about this place compared to others and it isn't the same. Something has changed around here. The problem as I see it is the method of conflict resolution. An example:

Forum X. New member joins and has a poor attitude and feels the need to attack established members making an utter fool of themselves. Established members make fun of new member for being a poorly informed person with a strong opinion. New member either starts playing nice or ups the ante. Established members then bomb the new member with hilarious jokes and pictures until they sulk away and stop bothering the site.

WUS, similar scenario. This time when the older member uses the fight fire with fire technique to separate the men from the boys, he receives an infraction or ban and the opposite effect happens. The rampant poor behavior snowballs.

I know I am taking a large risk here, but here is the honest question. Do we really need this overbearing moderation technique that can't handle small bickering and insults? Many members I once knew are long gone or go to other venues to voice their true options. There was once a very large knowledge base and it is now slowly shrinking.
    TNWatchNerd, lexvil, ABoen and 3 others like this.

Re: Let's have an honest discussion.

If you disagree with me, then you are drinking koolaid and are a troll. FACT.
    Torrid, wuyeah and CGSshorty like this.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by fastward View Post
    If you disagree with me, then you are drinking koolaid and are a troll. FACT.
    That's probably true.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I dunno. This place is probably a bit more strict but not to the degree you can't have an intelligent argument. When it gets ridiculous, threads get shut down and relentlessly stupid people get banned. Pretty normal. I've been on other forums like your X example where if you don't think like the group you get plastered and moderation just lets the good ol idiots run the forum. You need a balance I suppose.

We have moderators?
    Owner of a bunch of cool watches.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dienekes View Post
    I dunno. This place is probably a bit more strict but not to the degree you can't have an intelligent argument. When it gets ridiculous, threads get shut down and relentlessly stupid people get banned. Pretty normal. I've been on other forums like your X example where if you don't think like the group you get plastered and moderation just lets the good ol idiots run the forum. You need a balance I suppose.
    I agree a balance is important, but most should be able to somewhat self police. Obviously in example X if the new member isn't attacking other members and those members decide to beat the new member into submission, proper action needs to be taken.

I agree Torrid, the problem seems simple to me...as long as there is no blood, let em fight it out :) I've also noted that some WIS's have thin skin, it's either transmitted from Invicta contact...possibly Micro brands....jury still out.

In all seriousness, I think too many members may speak harsher with their keyboard...than they would in real life. The site has become clicky...kinda like High school, and the "mob mentality" is let loose on some poor soul. Many members have small means to purchase a watch, they are proud to display it & expect support from fellow WIS's...instead get their head bashed in (at times).

We all need to remember it's a hobby, one we all share & enjoy.
    "Picking the lesser of 2 evils...is still evil"

Doxa 800TI Pro & 600T Pro & DivingStar
    Damasko DA45 & DA36 & DC56
    Muhle Glasutte SAR
    Citizen PMT56-27"Tough" & PMU56-23"Ray Mears"
    Marathon GSAR
    --Helson Shark Diver40
    Omega SMP & 120m Baby Ploprof & AT 2500 & AT Railmaster
    Tutima DI300 & Pilot FX--Oris BC Regulator--Aquadive BS100 Bronze
    Halios Tropik B green
    --Hamilton Navy Diver
    Jorg Schauer Kleine Durowe & Kulisse Ed. 12

I get what you're saying, but I think it's because WUS is supposed to be a family friendly site. We don't know who is using the site, or how old they are. So if someone makes an inappropriate comment, I'm sure they get whatever punishment the mods feel necessary so that it doesn't happen again. It's all just to keep this place nice for everyone.

Hello Torrid, you are a well established member of WUS and I am certain that you are aware of our policy of commenting on moderation.
    If you feel that you have been treated unfairly please take it up in private with the member of the team.

Thanks and thread closed.
    Enjoying a life far better than I deserve...

Thread Information