Let's be honest with ourselves . . .
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: Let's be honest with ourselves . . .

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Off Topic post Let's be honest with ourselves . . .

do some of you guys exaggerate the accuracy of some of your automatic timepieces?

I often stumble across posts in which the poster praises the accuracy his latest piece.

For example, I've just read one poster claiming that his latest acquisition, the Seiko MM300, has gained only 2 seconds in the span of 3 months.

That, in my limited experience with automatic pieces, is incredible. But that leaves me wondering whether some folks tend to exaggerate somewhat
    in sharing their happiness over their latest piece.

Maybe the point of this post is to share some friendly banter and talk about the WIS-centric culture oriented around highly accurate timepieces.

Feel free to share your views.
    Just your average Japanese watch fan: Casio, Citizen, Seiko

View my collection **here**

View my feedback by clicking **here**

Your friendly neighborhood enabler,

Otto

Re: Let's be honest with ourselves . . .

Checked at 10 A. M. , my watch has been dead on for the past six months. Of course , it stopped there five and a half months ago.
    Rick

Incoming: Heuer Autavia 'Siffert'

I could be wrong, but isn't the MM300 a spring drive..?

If it is, then 2 seconds in 3 months isn't unheard of.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I think some of the accuracies reported come from users who know their watches very well and how fast/slow they are in certain resting positions.

By the end of the day, they check how late or how ahead the watch is and choose a resting position accordingly, to correct the inaccuracy.

I know my PO has a tendency to be fast (like 5 sec/day), but I never really bothered checking for "slow" positions.
    Kittysafe likes this.
    Omega Speedmaster Pro Panda
    Omega Planet Ocean 45.5
    Omega Seamaster DeVille ca. 1965
    Seiko SNXS79
    Hamilton Khaki Action Quartz

Banned

Those posters report the average. A movement doing -4/+3 does on average +1 sec a day. And if you find the correct position, you can get close to Zero on many good quality movements.

I see no point in measuring seconds per day here or there..
    Minutes +- is what matters. Tells me something is wrong, and the watch needs to get an appointment with my watch doctor!

I don't bother measuring: I have to reset the time on mine each time I pick em up to wear so kinda seems pointless.

This is what I think is going on with most of these reports of super accurate watches. Which tells you more about how the person has learned to manage the watch than how accurate the watch is. Accuracy per position would be far more useful. Or even accuracy on the wrist minus all "managing". But I am with Janne on accuracy.

Quote Originally Posted by Hutter View Post
    I think some of the accuracies reported come from users who know their watches very well and how fast/slow they are in certain resting positions.

By the end of the day, they check how late or how ahead the watch is and choose a resting position accordingly, to correct the inaccuracy.

I know my PO has a tendency to be fast (like 5 sec/day), but I never really bothered checking for "slow" positions.
    Dagaz Modded Seiko SKX007 | Benarus Moray III | Magrette Moana Pacific Diver 2011 | Hexa K500 | Prometheus S80 | Seiko SNAD53

Boron ??? | | Gruen ??? | Timex ???

Greetings from Albuquerque!

There may be a few fibs but most strike me as reasonable. What is frequently missing is all of the story. Many times the watch is stored in one position to achieve really accurate overall results. Offsetting one error with another is fine but that should be included in the story about ones watch acheiving .25 of the cosc stanard.
    Last edited by John MS; October 7th, 2012 at 23:16.
    Ottovonn and CitizenM like this.

Inactive

Quote Originally Posted by geoffbot View Post
    I don't bother measuring: I have to reset the time on mine each time I pick em up to wear so kinda seems pointless.
    +1
    (But resetting it most of the time..ie most of the time they're dead/depleted when I pick 'em up again.. sometimes one stays on wrist for a few days .. and they're accurate enough to not really need a reset most of the time.)

Dare I say, without offending the dudes who want to check/get it down to the last 500mS, ....there's better things to do in life......

....like looking for the next watch
    Or putting the next one on, when there are none on the horizon..
    Last edited by watchma; October 7th, 2012 at 23:30.
    Kittysafe likes this.

I don't give the accuracy of my watches that much mind time. The quartz's are always accurate and thus far, my B&M Capeland Flyback has been on the same minute I set it to (according to my cell phone - Hah!) since I got it in late August. As to how many seconds + or - on a dialy basis just isn't that important to me. Like Janne said, if my watch was off minutes, that would be a concern. Otherwise, it's really not.
    I am no longer active on WUS. If you would like to contact me, please feel free to email me: rbrylaw fifty five at yahoo

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread Information