Life was better before WUS (not really)
Like Tree63Likes

Thread: Life was better before WUS (not really)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Life was better before WUS (not really)

Today I am wearing the watch I got as a 2009 wedding gift, a Tag Heuer Carrera Automatic. Prior to joining WUS, I wore this watch everyday . I just knew that I had to wear this automatic watch everyday to keep it running. I thought it was cool that it didn't need a battery. I chose it at the Bloomingdale's watch section because I thought a dressier understated watch would be better for professional settings. I simply wore it everyday and enjoyed it immensely..

But then I joined WUS after reading about Horween leather watch straps in a men's magazine site. I soon discovered the wonderful world of watches and my current love of dive watches. I learned about in house movements, accuracy, alignment, preventing scratching, what ugly hands are, power reserve, and every little nuance we obsess with here. I think about watches all the time, but I also became very picky and anal about every little thing about my watches.

But going back to my humble wedding gift Tag now I appreciate it more. The date wheel matches the dial, Everything is aligned. It can be serviced anywhere basically. The indices are cool. at 39mm it's a great size. It has scratches from everyday wear, but I don't care. They are my scratches. It could be refinished, but I am OK with its marks.

Post WUS I learned some think Tag Heuer is an overpriced fashion brand. But I'm even fine with that. I'm so happy I joined WUS, as I've learned so much about watches. But just a tiny part of me longs for the carefree days when I didn't even notice if my watch was running fast or slow or if it scratched or if the end links fit nicely or if this or that.

But in the end, I'm better for my new watch knowledge, I've met great people here and learned that obsessing over every detail of a watch is fun. I'm also glad I chose a pretty decent watch before I knew what a SEL is or what COSC specs are.

Re: Life was better before WUS (not really)

Not sure I would go so far as to call Tag a fashion brand lol. They have made some questionable decisions at times (but really, who hasn't?)......but Tag has also offered some watches that would be respected by any level of watch enthusiast.

Do not over think it. Wear what you like.
    Do something exceptionally mediocre today

Yeah, I agree. I wouldn't consider TAG to be a fashion brand.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Actually my point is I don't care whether it is or not. What I'm trying to say is I appreciate my watch even more now knowing more about watches. Also, I'm not calling my Tag that, some WUSers do but that's totally fine too is what I'm trying to say.

Tag is not a fashion brand, and your watch is pretty nice.

I have a Formula 1 that some would call overpriced - especially for being quartz. I love it. And it might be my watch most people notice.

Honestly, what good does it do to think something is overpriced after money was already spent on it? Just enjoy it and don't care about others think.
    liwang22, LadyTime and AcesN8ightz like this.

I hear you, its like the Matrix - I've taken the red pill and theres no going back. Until, last year, i thought my two Movado watches were the shiznit. I used to get compliments on them all the time. I don't think I've worn either since I have joined this forum. I will never get rid of either, as both have a huge amount of sentimental value, but I'm not in to them nearly as much.

As a side note, I don't think Ive gotten a compliment on a watch that I've purchased from the forum since I've joined.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    liwang22 and kpc001 like this.
    Using Tapatalk

It seems like most people reading this are not getting the point of my post. I don't think my watch is overpriced nor do I care what category it may fall under. My point is: I used to not care about sapphire, whether or not the bracelet links were truly three pieces or not, lume quality, etc... My thread is not about Tag at all. It about this hobby and how it's good but sometimes over complicated but still great. Forget that my wedding watch happens to be a Tag. I love it and I love it even more knowing it has good qualities that watch nerds like us care about.
    kpc001 and LadyTime like this.

Life for me was much better before WUS. Before I joined 10 years ago I had more hair and less pains.
    BDIC and liwang22 like this.

Nice !

I've just joined this month, but already looking at my small collection in a different light, even with the small amount of new information I've gathered has been amazing for me as well.
    liwang22 likes this.

I'm with the OP on this one. Sometimes I long for the days when I just thought a watch was nice without knowing why. Although I no longer have my original Movado and Tag Professional Quartz (and don't really miss them), it was easier. To quote the OP "It's about this hobby and how it's good but sometimes over complicated but still great". Yeah, I miss the days when I didn't over scrutinize everyone's wrist. People think I'm weird and creepy now lmfao.
    liwang22 and ShaggyDog like this.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information