Likely to have been scammed, pls HELP......
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Likely to have been scammed, pls HELP......

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Likely to have been scammed, pls HELP......

[FONT=arial]Hi guys,

Am posting this way too late (as some may say) but pls read on and i hope to get some feedback though i think all hope is lost.

So, back in Sept 2012 i chanced upon an AP grail on the 'bay (at what now seems to be a 'too good to be true' price) and so i bit the bullet after negotiating with the seller and gotten a copy of all related docs and proof of pictures for the timepiece. Unfortunately for me, i dealt via a wire transfer and outside of the 'bay and all seemed well and fine at the point as we maintained frequent contact and i got the shipping details once all funds cleared.

However, the wait for the item seemed never ending from thereons as apparently the shipping faced problems and was travelling to all other locations but mine so i had the seller look into it. Mind you, he was still maintaining contact with me throughout this process which took approximately 1 month plus. So he then informed me that after visiting the post office and making a report of this issue, the watch was en route back to him in Spain for him to then re-route it onwards to me. Then came the silence which had me worried as i kept up with the emails to check on the status. So, approximately 1 week after, i received an email from what seemed to be his wife stating that he was involved in an altercation with a postal officer and was subsequently detained and put in jail and from what she mentioned it was going to be for a duration of 3 months or so (according to the timeline, it was supposed to be till Dec 2012). I was relieved to hear from him/her at that point but to be on a safe side, i mentioned in my reply to her of how unfortunately the turn of events are and hoped for a refund of the money i paid to her husband while this was being sorted; and that was the last i heard from either of them.

So while i feel and kinda know that the money is gone for good, i hope to still get some much appreciated advise from fellow forumers on what can be done to validate the situation or pursue further with the authorities in Spain about this. I have all the banking details(removed due to sensitivity as noted by a fellow forumer) of the person if it helps but all other details are as shown below -

*mod edited out*

Really would appreciate all the input i can get on what steps that i can take and if there's any spanish forumers, appreciate if you could chime in.

Thanks a lot,
    Gareth
    Last edited by geoffbot; February 20th, 2013 at 13:26.

Likely to have been scammed but is there anyway i can get any form of reprieve?

Posting personal details like this is not cool. I hope for your sake that you haven't been scammed and get a resolution, but this is personal information that you don't have him the right to share.
    It sounds dodgy to me. Have you opened up an eBay dispute or is it too late for that?
    Brad (@bradwatch)
    - appreciating fine affordable watches since 2011

Re: Likely to have been scammed but is there anyway i can get any form of reprieve?

Hi Brad,

I totally understand as i've been following various forums for a long time as well, however, i'm at my wits end and hope to be able to get some much appreciated and needed help by posting the details up as the person has basically been non responsive since end Sept 2012. Having given him much leeway and considering the supposed predicament he was in, i waited and waited to no avail. Thus, i'm hoping you guys can point me to a right direction with regards to either reporting it to perhaps the local spanish authorities or probably other alternatives.

Also, the sum that we're talking about is substantial to say the least and i'm still hoping that it's not a scam case but i'm lost for actions. Like i mentioned, unfortunately i made the deal outside of ebay so it's no help there and way overdue nonetheless.
    440saw likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Likely to have been scammed but is there anyway i can get any form of reprieve?

I understand, but if you have all this information then surely police/authorities are the way to go rather than a watch forum? Just google for Spanish fraud police and go from there.
    I hope you get your money back, I really do.
    Brad (@bradwatch)
    - appreciating fine affordable watches since 2011

Re: Likely to have been scammed but is there anyway i can get any form of reprieve?

I did try but didn't find a proper avenue to have it reported and have read that making such a report in Spain can be a long drawn process and the last thing i want is for this to be drowned out before it's being attended to that is why i'm reaching out via the forums to see whether i can get some assistance or a reference for a more direct response.

I agree that you should remove all of the sellers personal details in your first post.

It is probably too late now but you should definitely have opened a case. I think that you have 45 days from the day of purchase, so if it hadn't arrived on day 44 I would have opened a case. Of course the watch could have arrived a few days later and you could have just closed the case as it being resolved, but it would have started the process of getting a resolution. To just sit there and wait almost indefinitely for it to arrive is by far the worst thing to do. Also you should also insist on payment by Paypal, especially for larger amounts, again you can open a case if there is a problem.

So what can you do now? Try again to report it to the Spanish authorities. Contact Ebay again and explain the whole situation. It might be too late for you to open a case but it might prevent others from getting scammed if that is the case. Sadly there are a lot of lessons to be learnt from the mistakes you made in this transaction and not opening a dispute much sooner. You lost out because of you just sat back and didn't do anything.

Well, you almost certainly did get scammed, and eBay won't help you because you skirted their system and evaded their fees. Your only recourse, and it will be unlikely to recover your foolish loss, is to seek legal action both domestically and in Spain. Inasmuch as you were attempting to buy an AP, even at a too-good-to-be-true price, it is probably worth some effort and research on your part. Sorry this happened to you but you participated fully in your loss.
    Over a half century of "just the right amount of odd."

Hmm, I see a libel case on its way if for any reason his daft story is true and/or the watch finally comes. I lost a watch or two via geepay, luckily not very dear ones, but found that the customs relations between the US and Italy are just awful. One got stuck in the customs office in Milan and it became so difficult to get anything out of the situation that I abandoned it. First I thought the seller had ripped me off, but no, sadly just horrid customs.

Cheerio, how much is involved?? I may be able to talk to someone who can help.

Cheers

He obviously has an Ebay account what was his feedback like? Does he have other items still being sold? If so you might be able to ruin a couple of sales to get his attention :p
    Ω Omega Speedmaster Professional 3572.50
    Seiko Orange Monster

Your first mistake was in referring to eBay as The Bay. Secondly, don't post personal information on public forums. Thirdly, always check seller feedback and be sure it's not their first big item sold.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information