Likes and Dislikes about different configurations?

Thread: Likes and Dislikes about different configurations?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Likes and Dislikes about different configurations?

I'm curious about what different things about watches people strongly prefer or try to avoid. This is not a thread meant to bash any style or brand, so please be polite if you have critiques.

For me, I have an aversion to date windows located near the four o'clock position. I think it looks unbalanced. I prefer the date to be at 3 o'clock, or at least in the 6 o'clock spot. I also don't like leather straps on dive watches. I know that lots of people don't dive or even swim with their dive watches, but it still spoils the look for me when they don't have a bracelet or rubber strap.

But hey, I realize that lots of people like these configurations, so please do not take any offense. Like I said I'm just curious about what attributes people shy away from.

Re: Likes and Dislikes about different configurations?

I don't much care for tank or tonneau shaped cases.
    Contrary to popular opinion, there IS such a thing as TOO BIG, i.e. 48mm x 18mm monstrosities and such.
    For me, a watch pretty much HAS to hack.
    I don't care for titanium, prefer the solid weight of ss.
    "Time is the school in which we learn. Time is the fire in which we burn."

Quote Originally Posted by Tragic View Post
    Pardon my ignorance, but I have seen this "hacking" ability referred to several times now, but I still don't have a clue as to what that means? Is it the feature where you can change the date without disturbing the time setting?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.K View Post
    Pardon my ignorance, but I have seen this "hacking" ability referred to several times now, but I still don't have a clue as to what that means? Is it the feature where you can change the date without disturbing the time setting?
    "Hacking" refers to the second hand stopping when the crown is in time setting position so as to synch with a precise time such as an atomic clock.
    Most manual winders and common Seiko and Miyota mvmnts. lack this.
    "Time is the school in which we learn. Time is the fire in which we burn."

I prefer dive watches. I used to wear mine with bracelets only - and thought all other options were "substandard". However, I find myself now preferring to wear my watches with a zulu strap.
    Scott

Life is tough. It's tougher if you're stupid.

Banned

I don't much care for chronos that are not positioned at the normal 6, 9, and 12. Not exactly sure why but they just don't do it for me. Also the HUGE watches as well. I have a whole whopping 6.5" wrist so they look like I have a tire strapped onto my wrist .

Quote Originally Posted by Tragic View Post
    I don't much care for tank or tonneau shaped cases.
    Contrary to popular opinion, there IS such a thing as TOO BIG, i.e. 48mm x 18mm monstrosities and such.
    I don't care for titanium, prefer the solid weight of ss.
    Pretty much agree. I personally can't warm up to a tank/tonneau style watch just can't never will. I do agree some watches are too big for certain wrists and I definitely like the weight of SS just lets you know know its there. Hack feature is a non-issue though.

I'm just doing dislikes, my likes would take a long time I think. Don't imagine most of these would be deal-breakers on their own, just depends on the watch I guess...

Hands that don't reach markers
    Hands hard to differentiate from each other
    Teenie date windows
    Teenie crowns on autos/mechanicals
    Forced nomenclature (squeezing a '3' in instead of just omitting it)
    Faux carbon fiber
    Suppressed seconds counters
    Large cases with small lug width
    Too much writing on the dial
    Coin edge bezels
    Plastic bezels
    Really thick cases
    Blatant rip-offs of other watches
    Integrated bracelets
    Fixed bezels that should rotate
    Divers with bad lume
    Watches I want but can't afford
    Last edited by J.D.; March 24th, 2007 at 08:01.

I like everything that does not belong to one of the following serious dislikes:

Shapes: Square or rectangular watches. Tonneaus. (But do I like the special shape of the Schaumburg "Ellomatic".)

General styles: Though complicated or skeletonized watches are fascinating to own, I do not really like to wear them, because I like to get the current time at a glance. Same applies to overly busy dials, e.g. Breitling Montbrillant Datora or the Breitling Navitimer Cosmonaute.

I do not like watches without a permanent seconds indication, e.g. Sinn 756/757 - because I like to know at a glance if the watch is running or not.

Too big is: everything over 44 mm diameter, or 51 mm lug to lug.
    Last edited by cnmark; March 24th, 2007 at 10:27.

Quote Originally Posted by TimeAndAgain View Post
    I'm curious about what different things about watches people strongly prefer or try to avoid. This is not a thread meant to bash any style or brand, so please be polite if you have critiques.
    Huge watches, especially if the movement inside is obviously quite small for the case which suggests that the watch is big for the sake of being big (and therefore fashion-driven) although I understand that watches are essentially jewellery and really, it's all in "the look".

Overly busy dials. Breitling is capable of doing complex dials neatly but is there any reason to put "D A T E" next to the date window, as they do from time to time

Stuff that looks like an auto engine part strapped to your wrist, like the new Zenith Defy XTREME, or watches that are weird for the sake of it (Azimuth parking meter frinstance).

I see what you mean about diver's watches which feature a leather rather than rubber strap, but you should probably extend your logic to the helium release valve (at least the leather strap can be enjoyed on a daily basis!).

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information