LIMES Pharo Cartouche automatic review
Like Tree6Likes
  • 6 Post By Stannos

Thread: LIMES Pharo Cartouche automatic review

Smile LIMES Pharo Cartouche automatic review

Hello all, first post from me. I have been interested in watches for a long time, but not known a great deal. I finally got the opportunity to buy something reasonable (though still relatively very affordable in the scheme of things).

I had been interested in e.g. Raymond Weil 'classic' affairs, but once I started researching online a whole new world opened before my eyes! So, over the last few weeks I have been through a steep learning curve. Until recently I had never heard of Sea Gull, ETA 2824-2 or Glashutte Original Senator Moonphase.

I discovered a bewildering array of opportunities.. and potential second mortgages. So, my crude criteria were:

* budget probably <£1000.
    * 'classic'/'dress' (in loose sense of these terms).
    * smaller than Jodrell Bank.
    * stylish/ understated/ not routine high street/ not too bling.
    * mechanical, pref automatic.

I decided to look at German mechanicals, which took me to Archimede and Ickler, hence to Limes (Lee-Mez). I looked at the 'German watch shop' and liked the styles. What limited information out there was generally favourable, and came in within budget.

I'm generally wary about buying from the interweb at the best of times, but particularly so when paying £100s and from outside UK. The first issue I had was with the website- a bit pants. Hard to tell from the piccies. I was also worried that 40.5 mm for the cartouche might be like a pizza on my 6.5" wrists. Ideally I would have liked GO or even Nomos, but I have to eat.

I liked the whole Pharo range (Chyros too actually, but 43 mm seemed excessive), and was torn between Roman numerals vs Arabic, but chose the above as Roman numerals is 41.5 mm, hand wound, and no date. After a couple of queries with the Icklers (very helpful) I decided to go for it, and having gone to the bank to wire (!) the money waited with trepidation for 6 days before delivery.

I had been concerned that it might be too big/ shiny/ font on case might be too Liberace. However, when I opened the box I was overjoyed to see something that was so clearly excellent quality, classy and understated. The size is perfect. The guilloche patternation very subtle, the font very discrete, and the subtly blue Breguet hands seemed exquisite. Details such as the coin edge casing are just right. Time will tell if the Sellita SW200 movement is accurate and reliable, but no complaints so far.

Unless I were to spend huge amounts more, I doubt I could have done any better. Thank you Limes for your lack of marketing and advertising and the low key website: without such factors I could have paid twice the price and still been a happy chappy!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: LIMES Pharo Cartouche automatic review

Welcome to the forum, and congratulations! One of the most well-chosen buys I remember seeing in an introductory, first luxury watch purchase thread.

Very nice watch, wear it in the best of health.
    Caveat lector

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I've been pronouncing it like the fruit this whole time

BTW - Nice watch!

Very nice looking. That's one thing I love about this site; I doubt I'd have ever found these watches, and this is very much the kind of watch I find interesting.

Welcome to the forums! That's an enlightened choice. Enjoy!
    "The stuff that dreams are made of…" - RGM ‘801 EE Motor Barrel’

Thread Information