A little assistance with picking a new watch

Thread: A little assistance with picking a new watch

A little assistance with picking a new watch

Howdy everyone. I'm currently debating on my very first automatic purchase, thus far, I've narrowed it down to two watches, the Seiko Monster and the Orient Mako (I'm just 19, so I can't really afford anything beyond rugged Japanese watches at the moment). I know that the Mako isn't ISO rated for diving whereas the Monster is. Not that I'm a diver or anything like that, but I may want to use it for scuba diving in the future. All help and comments will be duly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Re: A little assistance with picking a new watch

I have owned both, but the Mako was traded away and my pair of black/orange monsters remain.

The Mako is a bit more traditional in shape, that is really the only pro it has over the monsters. I am sure others will have more, but I am a long time Monster fan. To me the Mako is more of a desk diver, I found the bezel rather stubborn and the lume to be passable, but nothing stellar.

The Monster is unconventional, but one heck of a dive watch. Drilled lugs at 20mm, high quality bracelet with diver extension, ISO rating, lume that will spoil you for a long time, robust movement, and easy turning bezel w/ guards.

The black monster was my first automatic, and it has been nothing but a gem. The downside is that it has made me a dive watch snob, why spend more money for a watch that delivers so much less.
    Not as clumsy or as random as a cell phone. An elegant timepiece for a more civilized time.

If you're deciding between those two, definitely the Seiko Monster. I used to own both, and I really regret selling my Seiko Monster. The Seiko Monster has excellent lume while the Orient Mako has decent lume. If you get a Seiko Monster, it should hold its price very well in case you need to sell it. However, the Orient Mako has great accuracy (mine was +6 secs per day, which a lot of other people are reporting as well), a cleaner look, and a cheaper price. You can't go wrong with either as a beginner's watch, especially for its price.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the comments gents:thanks, I'll probably settle on the Monster, it oozes manliness. Just one last dum-dum question. I've heard that the Monster is going out of production, can anyone verify this? If so, I'd better snap one up pronto.

Welcome~

Dr. Nickel,

How about Vostok Amphibia?

The monsters are great, i have two, one orange the other black. i wear my orange one with different nato straps which is fun, especially the orange or red natos. makes the watch look completely different for very little coin, and it's the only watch that anyone has ever commented on- even my 45 Planet Ocean seems to go unnoticed (fine by me...)

They regularly pop up on the forums for sale used but mint, it'll save you fifty bucks or so. My black monster has the metal bracelet, which now that I own one, I could easily live without. The rubber and nato's are more fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Seele View Post
    Dr. Nickel,

How about Vostok Amphibia?
    I like the looks of the Amphibia, nice clean and uncluttered, thanks for the suggestion mate! :thanks

Thread Information