WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

A little frustrated with the hobby and a little service this week

2K views 44 replies 36 participants last post by  blue777 
#1 ·
With that said I'm going to reinforce my belief in people by doing something special. If you get a message from me trust me, it's real. I'm going to pass on some gifts. Sure I could sell them but to make me feel better and hopefully someone else I'm going to give them away.

Hope this works, it'll make me feel good and hopefully someone else.

Michael

#2 ·
Hope your frustration passes.

Reactions: mharris660
#7 ·
Sorry to hear about your frustrations, but knowing you made someone's day/week/month/year can impact in positive ways one cannot quantify.

#9 ·
A very generous offer sir.

As my dear old mum used to say 'It's nice to be nice'.

But it please don't get carried away, whatever is driving your frustration will hopefully pass in the very near future and it would be terrible if you gave away a watch (particularly sentimental) that you regret.

#11 ·
I recently just kick started my love for watches after taking a long time out, and in fact it was very bad timing. I just purchased a watch a month ago, the first purchase I have made since 2008. Then a week after I was effected by a resource action at my work, having had worked for this company for almost thirty years, I have now been deemed expendable, a few years from the minimum retirement age and unfortunately the prospects of employment in my industry are slim when companies are looking to find college grads coming in at entry level. I love watches but in my economic situation I can now only be a spectator.

#17 ·
Sorry to hear you're in a bummed out state, Michael. It'll take time, but you'll be back on track soon. Image is fuzzy, but if that's your Boxster (??) maybe thrash it around a bit to take out any remaining frustrations?

#18 ·
Hobbies should be enjoyable, and it can be infuriating when they're not. I've certainly been there with this one a few times. In all instances, it just took some time and reflection before I could return with the same or newly found passion. Hoping that's all it requires for you, Michael, and that the time spent is brief.

Rob - I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Good luck in finding the right next position. I'm sure you're thinking about all the resources available to you, but I wonder if anyone on WUS has connections in your industry. Might be a small possibility but, who knows, a thread in the cafe could turn up some ideas/leads.

#21 ·
Thanks everyone! Yeah, it's my car and the last time I "thrashed it around" it scared me. 147 mph and a little pee came out. I know what I'm going to do with a few watches will make someone feel very good and in the end I'll feel pretty good about it. I was going to sell a few anyway as I didn't really wear them. It is my hope that it will add a little joy into some other people's collection. I have a few that I'm going to pass around. Some fun, some collectible, some people just love.

#22 ·
Check out the pay it forward thread. I am not telling you to do anything and it would just be down right crazy to give away some of your peices. However, Mav stared a pay it forward thread and I was lucky enough to be the first person to borrow Double Red, a Steinhart Vintage Red. Gave me an excuse to do some little nice things. I bought a couple of straps for people and gave away a blue Marshall. Frankly I spent about as much money's as a couple nice dinners but it really made me feel pretty good. Also, if you just punch a wall and have to replace it, it will probably cost the same in repairs.

Keep eps your head up.

#24 ·
Reading through the thread I've already seen excellent comments that reflect what I wanted to say - that many times we need an opportunity to step back and reflect on things - in this case the hobby we all share. Doing something nice for others is a great way to step back and make them feel good, and hopefully that good karma will channel itself back to you and rejuvenate your passion. Kudos to you for the path you've chosen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#31 ·
Keep a few for your kids ! Im sure they will appreciate it as im sure you have before this.........or maybe when you do begin to re appreciate this hobby after your sojourn....you can take em back from them and not feel guilty ;-)

#32 · (Edited)
Sounds like a few of us are going through a tough time. Just keep your heads up, things always improve sooner or later. FWIW I was the top sales rep in my company last year (even won a Rolex!) and things were going great. Then we merged with another company and I was cut loose a week before Christmas. It took a bit of searching but finally found a job that is better in every aspect than my previous one. It was rough for a while because I'm the sole source of income for my household, guessing a few of your are probably in the same boat. Scary but also great motivation to get out there and start networking. It's cliche, but I believe everything happens for a reason. Good luck gents!

#34 ·
Dude, great news and congrats. Way to rally and find an even better gig. From what I can tell from your posts, you stayed positive throughout and even joked about it. I'm sure your attitude played apart in the great outcome. Barracki, hang in there. Most of us are a merger or downsizing away from being in the same boat. I've no doubt you'll come out of this just fine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.