The loneliness of WIS'dom
Like Tree70Likes

Thread: The loneliness of WIS'dom

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Last week I went to a corporate training. 2 states worth of high level banking sales reps. Management, high profile trainers, I thought I was going to be in Watch Nirvana. What I found was disappointing. Yes I brought a watch for every day, 3, and 2 more for each evening. Tissot Le Locle (White face on Black Alligator strap), Rolex Sub, Seiko Premier Auto, 1 for each day. Gshock 8900 (panda), and Seiko Monster 1 for each night. I am sure most of you understand. I know I would feel naked if I did not have a couple of watches to change to.

Their where a few other people that changed watches daily, however the only other self professed "watch guy" was more of a low end quartz guy. Kenneth Cole, Fossil, etc. Trying to talk in depth about watches, movements, history, and the like, It was obvious that he had no clue, and did not care. And that is cool, to each their own. (I did point him towards WUS in hopes of having him change his ways)

As for the rest, a Planet Ocean on one of the managers, a Date Just on another, the highest paid guy in the room was wearing a $3000.00 suit and a middle of the road Jean Marcel one day, and a......Michelle the next. I shuddered a little inside when I wrote that. The rest of the room was a random amount of Movado, Bulova, ESQ, and even some bare wrists. One of the trainers, when I jokingly asked what that monstrous hunk of metal on his wrist was, lifted his sleeve and said "Er Invicta?? I don't know about watches, my wife bought it for me" I gave him a pass and told him it was interesting.

It just reminded me that WIS are few and far between in the wild. So glad to have this group to know that my obsession, well not normal, is shared.
    Mark355, AmbSteve, pjw and 1 others like this.

Re: The loneliness of WIS'dom

So true........I was contacted by a high level sales trainer a few months ago, who offered to provide an hour sales training session to my team for free. Of course the catch was that he was holding a full day session in my city and hoped some of my people would want to pay for the full day session. The point of his session was to tell us of course, that if we followed his training, we'd be able to live his lifestyle, which he claimed included houses in Hawaii, Switzerland, and The Bahamas. Cars of the highest end. An amazing wardrobe, high end jewelry, well you get the picture. And he was indeed dressed very well, in an Armani suit, with very expensive Italian leather shoes. But what was strapped to his wrist? An ESQ by Movado. When I asked him why he didn't wear a higher end watch, he said this was a gift from his wife, and he knew nothing about watches. Kind of blew the image he was trying to sell out the window.

In the wild, even among successful people, WIS sightings are rare.........
    I am no longer active on WUS. If you would like to contact me, please feel free to email me: rbrylaw fifty five at yahoo

Loneliness of wearing and enjoying watches??? Wow...kinda heavy. I've had fun both online and offline with the watch hobby and managed to interest a few in the hobby. And found a few people who also collected watches. One secretary had close to 100 watches and enjoyed them all. Now that is a wis!

It is condescending comments about people who enjoy "low end quartz" or "low end watches" that can give non collectors the impression watch collectors are elitists.
    Last edited by John MS; March 25th, 2013 at 01:49.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

CCJ

The rarity makes discovery of a fellow WIS all the more rewarding!
    * Ω Omega Speedmaster 3570.50 * Scurfa Diver One * Butler J80 Pilot Chronograph * Stowa Flieger 40 *

In my experience I always seem to find the best watches on the least likely wrists. Any attempt to stereotype people from certain professions or because of style of dress usually ends up in underwhelming wristwatches. Earlier today at the mall a custodian was sporting a Seamaster. I've seen Rolex wearing waiters, a carpenter with an IWC. And 9 times out of 10 the person I expect to find a nice timepiece on has a Timex or at best a fashion brand.
    ClockFreak and CCCP like this.

Quote Originally Posted by CCJ View Post
    The rarity makes discovery of a fellow WIS all the more rewarding!
    I agree. But, unfortunately, that has become extremely rare in this day and age IMO.

Interestingly, I was at a mathematics conference in Toronto last summer, and I saw a Breguet Type XX on an academic sibling of mine, and a Breguet Marine Automatic Big Date on a postdoc.

Patek Philippe Calatrava 5119J; Vacheron Constantin Overseas; Jaeger-LeCoultre Grande Reverso Duo; Rolex Submariner 114060; Omega Seamaster 300; Montblanc Heritage Dual Time; Tudor Black Bay.

Armida A12; Borealis Estoril; Bulova Accutron II Alpha, Moonwatch; Casio GMW-B5000D, GW-5000, GST-W310; Certina DS-2; Coach Fulton; Hamilton Khaki Field; Helson Skindiver; Orient 60th Anniversary; Seagull Tourbillon, 1963 Air Force; Seiko SNA089P, SUN025P1; Steinhart OVM; Swatch Body and Soul, Heracles, Sistem51, Uncle Charly; Victorinox Alliance, Infantry Vintage.

I like it.

It'd be annoying to have everyone know what kind of watch I'm wearing (a la Rolex).

This is exactly why I ditched my Submariner and went back to Omega. I'd rather a WIS notice my Planet Ocean than 20% of the people I encounter at work make a comment about my Rolex. No one recognizes my Omega watches, but when they do, they're "in the know." Everyone and their mother had something to say about my Rolex.

"Is that a Rolie?"
    "Wow, are you wearing a Rolex? I didn't know you made that much money. HOW MUCH DID YOU PAY FOR THAT?"

I'd rather fly under the radar and wear interesting watches that only this community of watch idiot-savants will comment on.

Great story. It just goes to show how special we are. We should all pat ourselves on the back and treat ourselves to another watch to celebrate...
    "The stuff that dreams are made of…" - RGM ‘801 EE Motor Barrel’

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread Information