Long Distance Synchronisation of Radio-Controlled Watches
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Long Distance Synchronisation of Radio-Controlled Watches

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Long Distance Synchronisation of Radio-Controlled Watches

I have a radio-controlled, Junghans Mega Solar Spektrum watch (018/1122.00).

I am visiting Victoria in British Columbia, Canada. On one occasion the watch failed to synchronise; on another occasion it synchronised with the US transmitter in Fort Collins, Colorado; but today, outside in the open air, it claimed to have synchronised with the EU transmitter near Frankfurt in Germany. This seems to me deeply improbable. Is it conceivable that this was the result of unusual atmospheric conditions, or was it just a bug in the software?

Re: Long Distance Synchronisation of Radio-Controlled Watches

Unusual atmospheric conditions... it's possible, just very unlikely.

PJR

Radio waves can bounce on the ionosphere and travel surprising distances so it is theoretically possible. The problem is Fort Collins and Mainflingen don't transmit on the same frequency.

I'm not familiar with that specific model but the R/C watches I have need to be set to receive the closest transmitter so as not to be confused by multiple receptions from different stations.

WWV in Fort Collins transmits on a frequency of 60KHZ. DCF77 in Mainflingen transmits on frequency of 77.5KHZ. So if the watch received Fort Collins it shouldn't be able to receive a different frequency unless the watch was adjusted.

Have you noticed similar anomalies in the UK? The transmitter at Althorn is also 60KHZ and if your watch is receiving both signals for Althorn and Mainflingen you'd notice the occasional switch in time.

It is also possible that your watch synchronized with station JJY in Japan which is also at 60KHZ.
    Eklipz likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I had my Casio Oceanus, which usually syncs with Ft. Collins, sync with the EU transmitter when I was in Maine one week.

I blame it on aliens.....
    James142 likes this.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

The Junghans is multiband, so it could in theory receive DCF77 without any special adjustment. The normal operational range of DCF77 is quoted as 2000km, though reception has been reported in Maryland, USA (6500km). Reception in Victoria, BC (8100km) would be impressive, but not impossible, thanks to the oddities of longwave radio propagation.

Quote Originally Posted by Nokie View Post
    I had my Casio Oceanus, which usually syncs with Ft. Collins, sync with the EU transmitter when I was in Maine one week.

I blame it on aliens.....
    It is possible for lw and vlf signals to propogate long distances over water.

Thanks for the responses. To answer PJR's points, the watch can synchronise with the transmitters in Frankfurt, Fort Collins and Japan (not Althorn in the UK) . It states clearly on the dial which transmitter it has synchronised with. On the occasion mentioned, it said 'EU'. Today (Edmonton, Alberta), it says it has synced with US transmitter. According to Google, the distance between Fort Collins and Edmonton is nearly 2000km, so even this is quite impressive.

My g-shock (Sydney, Australia) picks up the time signal from Japan. That must be 7500Km+ (I think!).
    Breitling, Oris, Chr.Ward, Citizen, Timex, Bulova, Casio, Luminox, Stowa & Seiko

Quote Originally Posted by rd0401 View Post
    My g-shock (Sydney, Australia) picks up the time signal from Japan. That must be 7500Km+ (I think!).
    How? I believe you, but my RC Citizens don't sync here.

Quote Originally Posted by William2 View Post
    Thanks for the responses. To answer PJR's points, the watch can synchronise with the transmitters in Frankfurt, Fort Collins and Japan (not Althorn in the UK) . It states clearly on the dial which transmitter it has synchronised with. On the occasion mentioned, it said 'EU'. Today (Edmonton, Alberta), it says it has synced with US transmitter. According to Google, the distance between Fort Collins and Edmonton is nearly 2000km, so even this is quite impressive.
    Edmonton-Fort Collins is no problem. I have had consistent syncs in Athabasca, another 150 km further north, and get "strong signal" results on my Citizens.

Places in BC could be more problematic due to the mountains. A few years ago I couldn't get a Citizen Skyhawk or Casio G-Shock Aviation Series to sync even once in the interior Okanagan Valley while staying in Kelowna.
    Sabresoft

Breitling Airwolf Raven | Certina
    DS2 PreciDrive | Christopher Ward C70 Brooklands COSC | Maurice Lacroix Miros Chrono Diver COSC | Sinn UX

Casio G-Shock GW3500B-1A | Casio Pro Trek PRW5100-1 | Citizen Attesa ATD53-3081 |
    Citizen Blue Angels World Time Chronograph AT | Citizen SS Skyhawk AT | Citizen Red Arrows Skyhawk AT |
    Citizen Satellite Wave-Air | Seiko Astron SAST005

Campanola Grand Complication AH4000-01X | Citizen Titanium Skyhawk | Independent Black ITA21-5141 |
    Timex IQ Flyback Chronograph T2N700ZL

αlpha Carbon | duBois Rotomatic | Maurice Lacroix Miros (Automatic) Diver

Parker 61 Fountain Pen | Parker 45 Brushed Stainless Fountain Pen, Ball Point & Pencil | Parker 45 Bronze & Gold Fountain Pen | Parker Sonnet Fountain Pen | Parker Insignia Ball Point & Pencil | Parker 75 Sterling Silver Ball Point & Pencil | Parker 50 Fountain Pen & Pencil | Parker Jotter x 2

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information