Long live mall watches - Page 5
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Long live mall watches

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
Results 41 to 50 of 50
  1. #41
    Member ck1109's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    1,004

    Re: Long live mall watches

    Quote Originally Posted by mleok View Post
    It has to do with the fact that Vegas will always have people who were lucky at the casino, and are just looking to spurge and celebrate, and therefore have no desire to bargain.
    Wasn't my experience actually. Folks at Tourneau and Roman Times were willing to negotiate including free shipping + no sales tax offers.

    Even at Hour Passion, the guy seemed to willing to talk about the Longines Master Moonphase. Probably had it in the display for too long?

  2. #42
    Member mleok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    La Jolla, CA
    Posts
    18,589

    Re: Long live mall watches

    Quote Originally Posted by ck1109 View Post
    Wasn't my experience actually. Folks at Tourneau and Roman Times were willing to negotiate including free shipping + no sales tax offers.

    Even at Hour Passion, the guy seemed to willing to talk about the Longines Master Moonphase. Probably had it in the display for too long?
    If it's being shipped out of state, then there shouldn't be any sales tax anyway, so it really sounds like a free shipping offer, which is about a $25 discount.


    Patek Philippe Calatrava 5119J; Vacheron Constantin Overseas; Jaeger-LeCoultre Grande Reverso Duo; Rolex Submariner 114060; Omega Seamaster 300; Montblanc Heritage Dual Time; Tudor Black Bay, Black Bay GMT.

    Armida A12; Borealis Estoril; Bulova Accutron II Alpha, Moonwatch; Casio GMW-B5000D, GW-5000, GST-W310; Coach Fulton; Hamilton Khaki Field; Helson Skindiver; Ming 17.06; Orient 60th Anniversary; Seagull Tourbillon, 1963 Air Force; Seiko SNA089P, SUN025P1; Steinhart OVM; Swatch Body and Soul, Heracles, Uncle Charly; Victorinox Alliance, Infantry Vintage.

  3. #43
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    The Bald Prairie, Canuckistan
    Posts
    1,666

    Re: Long live mall watches

    Quote Originally Posted by The Dark Knight View Post
    There was a store in the Aria that sold "mid-tier" Swatch brand watches that I've never seen in the USA before, like Mido and Certina. There's also a high-end Swatch Brand chain that someone mentioned in this thread. Weird thing is I've walked into that store and they sell Omegas, seems like that would be in direct competition against their own Omega boutiques. The saleslady was surprised I knew of Glashutte Original.
    Yup, I saw all those. Did you go to the Cartier store there? My "favourite" was the Harry Winston store in the Arias mall. I am a reasonably well dressed guy. Harry Winston's door is locked. There are two doormen inside. Being a Canadian company I'll say they looked like ex-JTF, but you could as easily say ex-SAS or Seal. They don't even get up from their chairs, just look at me and one shakes his head.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #44
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    KL, Malaysia
    Posts
    6,127

    Re: Long live mall watches

    Quote Originally Posted by Henry Krinkle View Post
    Yup, I saw all those. Did you go to the Cartier store there? My "favourite" was the Harry Winston store in the Arias mall. I am a reasonably well dressed guy. Harry Winston's door is locked. There are two doormen inside. Being a Canadian company I'll say they looked like ex-JTF, but you could as easily say ex-SAS or Seal. They don't even get up from their chairs, just look at me and one shakes his head.
    U need to be well dressed AND asian :p


  6. #45
    Member Monocrom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    14,857

    Re: Long live mall watches

    Quote Originally Posted by mikeylacroix View Post
    U need to be well dressed AND asian :p
    Despite the joke.... Why even bother frequenting such a place?
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity here and there. Not the other way around." ~ John Cleese.

  7. #46
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    KL, Malaysia
    Posts
    6,127

    Re: Long live mall watches

    Quote Originally Posted by Monocrom View Post
    Despite the joke.... Why even bother frequenting such a place?
    To touch things i can never afford and have people think i can :'(
    ::sobs/trolls::
    drhr likes this.


  8. #47
    Member Monocrom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    14,857

    Re: Long live mall watches

    Quote Originally Posted by mikeylacroix View Post
    To touch things i can never afford and have people think i can :'(
    ::sobs/trolls::
    If it's any comfort, at least with watches, you soon reach a level where the quality simply does not warrant the hype, pomp, or snobbery. Best example would be that one Monty Python episode in which a pretentious executive extolls the virtue of the company's chocolate-covered grass-hoppers. he talks about the care in selecting each grass-hopper. The care in selecting only the best chocolates. The delicate process of coating each insect.... Then he gets interrupted by someone who points out that it's still just chocolate covered insects that the man's company produces.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity here and there. Not the other way around." ~ John Cleese.

  9. #48
    Member akasnowmaaan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    3,109

    Re: Long live mall watches

    Quote Originally Posted by Monocrom View Post
    If it's any comfort, at least with watches, you soon reach a level where the quality simply does not warrant the hype, pomp, or snobbery. Best example would be that one Monty Python episode in which a pretentious executive extolls the virtue of the company's chocolate-covered grass-hoppers. he talks about the care in selecting each grass-hopper. The care in selecting only the best chocolates. The delicate process of coating each insect.... Then he gets interrupted by someone who points out that it's still just chocolate covered insects that the man's company produces.
    Va va va va Veblen Goods. Gotta love 'em.
    Nomos Zürich Weltzeit • Omega Speedmaster Pro • Sinn UX

  10. #49
    Member Monocrom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    14,857

    Re: Long live mall watches

    Quote Originally Posted by akasnowmaaan View Post
    Va va va va Veblen Goods. Gotta love 'em.
    Honestly, I'd pay extra for certain features. Having worn quartz watches for the vast majority of my Life, I'd like an automatic that's anti-magnetic; despite knowing that all modern-day mechanical watches are anti-Mag to a certain degree. Couple of other features as well.

    But I remember just how good my Orient Black Mako used to look. I look at some watches that are over 10x as much. Take a deeper look at their features compared to the Mako.... Yeah, I think we all know where I'm going with this.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity here and there. Not the other way around." ~ John Cleese.

  11. #50
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    54

    Re: Long live mall watches

    This is probably a random place for a first post but I actually stopped into the Hour Passion store yesterday and am a Las Vegas local and didn't have any better luck. They offered me an undisclosed gift if I were to purchase the watch I came in to try on but it wasn't worth it.

    I wanted the Le Locle COSC but it's tagged at $1295 and available online for $800. I'd rather purchase from an AD but I think $500 plus tax is worth the risk if I were to go that route. The staff also wasn't very knowledgeable in my newbie opinion. I would have thought a Swatch boutique would know what a chronometer is versus a chronograph but they didn't.

    But yes, almost nothing is negotiable in Las Vegas. Not only because of tourism but because the casinos and hotels occasionally make use of those types of stores to develop client relationships. I've seen some execs and casino hosts buying some gifts at these stores for their clients and you know when they're using company money they aren't haggling.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •