Longines Avigation Bigeye or Sinn 356?
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Longines Avigation Bigeye or Sinn 356?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Longines Avigation Bigeye or Sinn 356?

Please weigh in on the merits (or otherwise) of the two. Which one would you pick? Or perhaps an alternative?

Re: Longines Avigation Bigeye or Sinn 356?

Now this is s tough one. The longines has been on my short list for a year now, but the Sinn reputation for strongly built and functionally designed watches is substantial.

That being said I've never been a fan of the chronograph in general, but the longines vintage inspired design spoke to me. I wish I could contribute more, but in the end its about the visual appeal for me.

Sent from my ASUS_P00J using Tapatalk

Bigeye. Better looking. Better movement.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by ToBeDetermined View Post
    Please weigh in on the merits (or otherwise) of the two. Which one would you pick? Or perhaps an alternative?
    Sinn used to be the value proposition. But tubby dimensions (38.5mm by 15.5mm) and has a dull finish, which despite the association with tough tool watches, is delicate and easily scuffed. Also standard movement is nothing special

Longines is 20% more expensive and you get: column-wheel movement with 10 more hours PR; domed "box" sapphire; more elegant dimensions (41mm by 14.5mm); finer case finishing.

Points in favour of the Sinn are the 100m WR and day-date display. You won't go particularly wrong with the Sinn, but the Longines is just "more", and I think it's absolutely worth the premium.

Tough call. I really like Longines chronographs, and the Big Eye is a great one. Sinn makes excellent watches as well, but I think the Longines is a little nicer.

I guess it comes down to looks. I'd go Longines.

I'm the contrarian who thinks the Sinn is better looking, and I prefer the 38.5mm case width. But 15.5mm thick? Oof! Definitely try it on before you commit to something like that. (Although at 14.5, the Longines is hardly svelte.)

I can't speak to their relative quality, so listen to others on that.

The obvious alternative is Hamilton Intramatic, which at 40mm x 14.45mm is getting closer to a size sweet-spot, and gives you 100 meter water resistance.
    ToBeDetermined likes this.

I was just in an auto chronograph hunt and it came down to the Bigeye, Sinn 356 and Hamilton Intra-matic. I'll ignore the Intra-matic for this discussion.

In general I just like the vintage aesthetic of the Longines better, but I guess I could break it down like this:

1. I liked the 41 mm size better than 38.5. (Of course a 42 mm also exists, which would have worked if this was the only item)
    2. I liked the sub dial layout better
    3. I liked the "big eye" better for legibility. I know folks are divided on the hash marks, but the every 3 second thing doesn't really bother me.
    4. I liked that the Longines was slightly thinner
    5. I preferred the no date vs the day-date(though I admit the day date does fit really well on the 356)
    6.I liked the movement in the Longines a little better.
    7.I liked the pusher design better
    8. I preferred the lack of crown guards and (correct me if i'm wrong) the crown seems to jut out more on the 356.
    9. The more I read up and learned about Longines the more I liked them as a brand. That's not a knock on Sinn, as they're a great brand too, maybe I just liked the Longines cool aid flavor a little better this go around
    10. I was able to find the Longines at a significant savings U.S. grey market. Sinn seems pretty locked down in this regard. I understand grey market is not everyone's cup of tea, but I think it's worth pointing out for anyone intrested.

To quote someone on YouTube:

"THE POWER OF SWATCH COMPELS YOU. THE POWER OF SWATCH COMPELS YOU"

Longines makes some very nice Chronos. It would get my vote between the two.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

I’d go for the Sinn as I pick watches on looks. Quality wise I don’t think that there’s a deal between them.

EHV

Longines get my vote between these two but have a look at Guinand as well. Helmut Sinn's company after he sold Sinn and before he passed.

You will see some overlap with Sinn as well as nicer pricing and they are very customer oriented.

https://www.guinand-uhren.de/home-en.html

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information