WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Longines Master Collection Moonphase Chronograph OR Omega Speedmaster Date Chronograph?

32K views 47 replies 32 participants last post by  acpracing 
#1 ·
Hi all,
I plan to get my first watch and based on my budget, I've shortlisted Omega Speedmaster Date and Longines Master Collection Moonphase, I'm planning to get either one but I can't decide on which. What do you guys think? Should I get Longines with the nice dial,chronograph, moonphase,full calendar, transparent case back, etc. or the Omega with the basic chronograph look but with a higher market brand positioning than Longines?

#10 ·
No question between these two that it would be the Longines. I think that particular watch challenges for the "most beautiful" title in its price bracket. If you were putting it next to the speedy pro, it may be a different story.

#14 ·
Longines. Never understand the craze over the speedmaster series tbh.

#15 ·
The 'craze' (40 odd years is a craze?) is for th ePro. The other speedys are by association to this, the most iconic chronograph made.
(Really, only the Gallet Flying Officer and the Longines Lindburgh even comes close)
To quote an old Packard slogan - "Ask the man who owns one."
Or more to the point here - Ask the many who bought a Speedy date and regretted it later.

#16 · (Edited)
Yep. Between those two specifically, the Longines.

I think I just realized that with the Speedy (and Speedy alone) I may in fact be a movement snob. With the Speedy, I want the 321, 1861, 1863, and the like. With the Speedy date you aren't getting the 'moonwatch', you're only getting the case.

So, add Speedy and that changes my vote. But with the choice you present, the Longines. I do like that MCM.

#17 ·
The Longines is beautiful but a few things, from experience, to think about:

Moonphases are a task to set, and it is 7751 based, so (if it isn't modified from a normal 7751) you'll have a pusher for the day of the week, turn the crown one way for the moon and the other for the date -- month is set by advancing the date around repeatedly.

The 24 hours display on the 9 o'clock is just that, slaved to the main hour, not a second time zone.

The 7751s I've owned all were setup so that they took HOURS to fully advance everything after midnight. Drove me up the wall. I wouldn't have minded 15 or even 30 minutes, but when the rollover wasn't finished until almost 3am I got rid of them.

#18 ·
Dont like either of those models. In fact im really not fond of the 6/9/12 subdial layout, i think it looks extremely unbalanced. I do really like the second longines posted above and yes the speedmaster professional, its a great watch too, im very happy with mine, it was the first good watch i bought and im pretty sure i will never sell it.

#23 ·
Hello
I would say go with the Longines, and if you want an Omega Speedmaster get the real deal The Moon Watch 3570.50.

Current watch collection:

ZENITH vintage manual
DOGMA Tudor movement vintage
OMEGA 14K Gold integral case and bracelet vintage manual
OMEGA Speedmaster Professional 3570.50.00
OMEGA Seamaster Professional 2531.80.00
LONGINES Master Collection Moonphase L2.673.4.78.3
ORIS Big Crown Complication Moonphase 01 581 7566 4061-07 5 19 53
SEIKO Marine Master 300M SBDX001
SEIKO mesh bracelet solid case manual vintage
ACCUTRON VX-200 Chronograph 28C05
ACCUTRON Gemini Chronograph 26C03
INVICTA 9937 Coin-Edge Bezel
TISSOT T-Lord Chronograph T54.1.427.52
TISSOT Seastar 1000 T19.1.583.41
TISSOT T-Touch II Titanium T047.420.44.057.00 Quarts
TISSOT PR200 Chronograph T28.1.1486.61 Quarts
SWATCH Quarts
SWATCH Irony Quarts

#24 ·
No Contest - The Longines Master Moonphase!

I currently own the Longines. It has & continues to stir my senses and fills the need for a timeless classic full calendar & moonphase in my collection. There's nothing I don't like about - maybe changing the date pointer to red would be the only improvement.

It has a Valjoux 7751 full calendar complication with chronograph and is nicely decorated. The blued hands are set off nicely from the barely corn dial and art deco arabic numbers.

I've owned a version of the Omega you mention. The one you're looking at is a plain jane version - it doesn't really speak to me.

Buy what moves you most, not based on the reputation of the brand. Who the hell cares - I really dislike how the status of a watch impacts a person's buying decisions.

I know of one WIS who bought, but then quickly sold at over $1K loss, a Limited Edition El Primero- a beautiful watch. His reason, it didn't generate as many compliments he expected or "status" as a Rolex would since many people don't know about Zenith. This is a very wrong reason to ever buy a watch IMHO - to obtain status. He did not buy it for the intrinsic value of the Zenith El Primero- an iconic movement that was one of the first automatic chronograph movements and for the sheer joy a watch can give you.

The Omega contains a slightly tweaked Valjoux 7750, it's not THE "Speedmaster" i.e. the moon watch and again for me is a distant 4th or 5th amongst the many Speedmaster variations that are out there.

Here are a couple of crappy pics of each watch I've owned/currently own :

#26 ·
Re: No Contest - The Longines Master Moonphase!

I currently own the Longines. It has & continues to stir my senses and fills the need for a timeless classic full calendar & moonphase in my collection. There's nothing I don't like about - maybe changing the date pointer to red would be the only improvement.

It has a Valjoux 7751 full calendar complication with chronograph and is nicely decorated. The blued hands are set off nicely from the barely corn dial and art deco arabic numbers.

I've owned a version of the Omega you mention. The one you're looking at is a plain jane version - it doesn't really speak to me.

Buy what moves you most, not based on the reputation of the brand. Who the hell cares - I really dislike how the status of a watch impacts a person's buying decisions.

I know of one WIS who bought, but then quickly sold at over $1K loss, a Limited Edition El Primero- a beautiful watch. His reason, it didn't generate as many compliments he expected or "status" as a Rolex would since many people don't know about Zenith. This is a very wrong reason to ever buy a watch IMHO - to obtain status. He did not buy it for the intrinsic value of the Zenith El Primero- an iconic movement that was one of the first automatic chronograph movements and for the sheer joy a watch can give you.

The Omega contains a slightly tweaked Valjoux 7750, it's not THE "Speedmaster" i.e. the moon watch and again for me is a distant 4th or 5th amongst the many Speedmaster variations that are out there.

Here are a couple of crappy pics of each watch I've owned/currently own :

thanks for your opinion. You've made some good points there. In fact, I was weighing my decisions along those lines. Your Omega Speedmaster Date does indeed looked "plain jane". Seems like EVERY vote goes to Longines and I were to get the Speedy, I'd be better off with the Pro model. What about the build quality and finishing? I haven't had the chance to put them side by side to compare. And also the retain value between those two? Has anyone put that into consideration?

#28 ·

Longines is below Omega in the Swatch Hierarchy, build quality presumably a bit better, but Longines is nothing to worry about.
Resale?
Omega's typicaally hold their value well - but the Speedy date is oft resold because of buyers remorse. The Pro can be flipped in a heartbeat. Buy a clean used one and you can usually resell it without losing any money. Or hold on and sell it for a profit !
Longines will get you a bath on the resale now. But -and it is just a guess on my part - they are becoming more popular and so in a year or two you may fair better when you sell it.

That all said - with watches you should plan on taking a beating and you will never be disappointed. If you do well on a sale, celebrate! But don't count on it.

#29 ·

Longines is below Omega in the Swatch Hierarchy, build quality presumably a bit better, but Longines is nothing to worry about.
Resale?
Omega's typicaally hold their value well - but the Speedy date is oft resold because of buyers remorse. The Pro can be flipped in a heartbeat. Buy a clean used one and you can usually resell it without losing any money. Or hold on and sell it for a profit !
Longines will get you a bath on the resale now. But -and it is just a guess on my part - they are becoming more popular and so in a year or two you may fair better when you sell it.

That all said - with watches you should plan on taking a beating and you will never be disappointed. If you do well on a sale, celebrate! But don't count on it.
Go all the way and get the Speedy Pro? I'd love to if only my budget allows me.:-(

#30 ·

I consider those 2 completely different watches. I own the Longines, it is beautiful, but the dial is a little hard to read quickly. I consider it a dress watch, not an everyday timepiece. If you haven't seen it in person be Cautious. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

#32 ·

For clarification - by "plain jane" - I meant the Omega Speedy Date YOU were interested in - not the one I owned - which would be far from anything plain.

Also you seem preoccupied with status, what others opinion are and resale value, etc.

Just buy the watch you like most. Very few watches will not make you lose money when you resell them. So get what you want, enjoy it, and know if you ever decide to sell it, you will lose money. It's like a car losing 33% of its value once it's driven off a dealer's lot.

It doesn't matter what others think about the Omega Speedmaster - Moonwatch. So what if it's the watch worn on the moon. It's not THE watch worn on the Moon, just a similar model which now has a different movement.

For me the Moonwatch doesn't do much for me, so I have no interest in getting one ever. I don't give a rat's ass if it's THE Omega Speedmaster to "have."

That's my point everyone's tastes are different and if you buy watches to go in line with others' taste or perceived stature, you will not enjoy the watch or collecting as much and you'll wind up losing even more money than if you follow your heart.

You'll know a watch that stirs your soul or loins. It's like seeing a smoking hot woman, you're reaction is visceral, irrational but there's no mistaking it. You'll know a watch that stirs lust when you see it.

#35 ·

For clarification - by "plain jane" - I meant the Omega Speedy Date YOU were interested in - not the one I owned - which would be far from anything plain.

Also you seem preoccupied with status, what others opinion are and resale value, etc.

Just buy the watch you like most. Very few watches will not make you lose money when you resell them. So get what you want, enjoy it, and know if you ever decide to sell it, you will lose money. It's like a car losing 33% of its value once it's driven off a dealer's lot.

It doesn't matter what others think about the Omega Speedmaster - Moonwatch. So what if it's the watch worn on the moon. It's not THE watch worn on the Moon, just a similar model which now has a different movement.

For me the Moonwatch doesn't do much for me, so I have no interest in getting one ever. I don't give a rat's ass if it's THE Omega Speedmaster to "have."

That's my point everyone's tastes are different and if you buy watches to go in line with others' taste or perceived stature, you will not enjoy the watch or collecting as much and you'll wind up losing even more money than if you follow your heart.

You'll know a watch that stirs your soul or loins. It's like seeing a smoking hot woman, you're reaction is visceral, irrational but there's no mistaking it. You'll know a watch that stirs lust when you see it.
oops.....no offence meant. But thanks for sharing your thoughts! ;-)|>

#33 · (Edited)

A little more than three weeks ago I bought a Longines Master Complications moon phase chrono. It was at a great price, and I grabbed it. I had been looking for something else, but I'd noticed and liked this watch before. I thought it was quite attractive and a good value. At the offered discount, even better.

It is indeed a handsome piece, the dial is stunning, the blued hands and the fine quality alligator strap add to a very refined look. I even liked the Valjoux "wobble." I have only admiration for this very pretty watch, but it seemed a bit too ornate to me; too fussy. Now that's a purely personal reaction. I like simple better than elaborate. For instance, I really like the JLC Master Control; about as plain a watch as you'll find, but very elegant. This one was just too busy for me. With all the hands, 7 of them, with 3 subdials and a moon phase indicator, a day and month aperture, and an outer minute track and an inner date track, it was visual overload, and not very easy to read.

If you like it, really like it, and if you're sure that the very busy dial will not become tiresome to your eyes, go ahead. It didn't suit me, but there's lots of other perfectly nice stuff that doesn't work for me either.

#34 ·

I agree with other comments that the Longines is a dressy watch, whereas the Speedy Date is a sportier watch, IMO. The Date would be much more at home with casual attire, but also works for business casual. Here's mine, I like it a lot. Cell phone pic, so sorry for the quality.

Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Wrist Fashion accessory

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.