WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Longines or Oris?

4K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  Bfisher 
#1 ·
I have been looking with considerable interest at both an Oris Classic Date (SW 200)(37mm) and Longines Heritage Conquest (ETA)(35 mm) for a few months. Now, it appears, I could buy either (one new, the other used) for about the same amount of money. My wife, by the way, much prefers the Longines (no small factor in my humble opinion). I know the decision is ultimately mine, and will probably turn on many intangibles, but what would your preference be and why? Thanks!

#3 ·
I was debating between the same two brands for my most recent watch purchase. The Oris was considerably cheaper, but I went with the Longines...amazing quality at the pricepoint. Oris is also a great watch brand--I don't think you could go wrong either way. Brands like that are so comparable in terms of quality that you should go with what looks best to you.

#5 ·
I rate them the same. If the watch is for you, I would buy the one I like, not the one my wife likes. If it is for her (as the size indicates) I would buy the one SHE likes!!

#8 ·
I and my wife own a few longines watches. Excellent workmanship and quality. I also own an Oris Artelier.

I would go for the longines. It looks and feels better and more solid.

#10 ·
I was also shocked to read the definition of 'accuracy' in oris land. According to them, +-30 seconds a day is accurate and not covered under warranty. This is mentioned in the manual.

My watch runs at +20 seconds a day and is the most inaccurate watch that I have. I have watches that cost less than half the cost of Oris, e.g. Hamilton Khaki, that are accurate within 2 seconds a day.

I am disappointed.

#11 ·
+ 20 seconds a day? Surely a skilled watchmaker can regulate that!
2 seconds is very, very good!

#14 ·
I live in Oman.

Skilled watchmakers do not exist here. Most the watchmakers can do here is change battery and replace straps.

Other than the AD, we have no alternative. The AD insists that as per the manual, +20 seconds is acceptable.

#13 · (Edited)
I have been looking with considerable interest at both an Oris Classic Date (SW 200)(37mm) and Longines Heritage Conquest (ETA)(35 mm) for a few months. Now, it appears, I could buy either (one new, the other used) for about the same amount of money. My wife, by the way, much prefers the Longines (no small factor in my humble opinion). I know the decision is ultimately mine, and will probably turn on many intangibles, but what would your preference be and why? Thanks!
Oris for me. The Longines is just too small, even though it has a big dial and a small bezel; the Oris's bezel isn't exactly wide.

IME build quality is about the same. Many people feel more comfortable going with a "name" brand like Longines, and paying a premium (the Longines is about 25% more than the Oris).

EDIT: Just remembered there's a 40mm version of the Longines available, which would be worth a look for its lovely black dial alone but it's over £1,000. Oh well!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.