Longines VHP GMT/Chrono or Casio G Shock MT-G

Thread: Longines VHP GMT/Chrono or Casio G Shock MT-G

Longines VHP GMT/Chrono or Casio G Shock MT-G

I know. Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay different classes of watches. I want a quartz. The GMT is definitely a classier watch, but I don't know when the heck it's going to be released. I can't find the VHP chrono locally. The Casio on the other hand is super cool- just really large. I can get it right down the road. I don't want both. I'm finding myself to be at the maximum amount of watches to where I can rotate all of them on a regular basis. Any more than two more will leave many collecting dust. One slot is for a quartz.

Re: Longines VHP GMT/Chrono or Casio G Shock MT-G

I passed on the standard VHP when I heard that a GMT variant was on the cards, but news of the forthcoming watch has been so scant that I am starting to doubt whether we will ever see it. Going by reliable reports of the current release VHP, I am now seriously reconsidering whether I would get anything from the VHP line at all.

I have two vintage VHPs - one of the very early dual oscillator versions and a later version with perpetual calendar, 200m WR, independently adjustable hour hand and ten year battery life. With battery life on the new VHPs down to just five years and WR down to 5ATM, accuracy would have to be the new version's redeeming quality. And that's where user reports worry me.

Both of my old VHPs can have their rate trimmed either by the brand, your local watch maker or the intrepid owner/tinkerer. Older VHPs were spec'd to 10 seconds per year but could easily be trimmed down to under five seconds per year. The new VHP is spec'd to five seconds year but cannot be trimmed ifnitnis off-spec. One owner over on the HAQ forum has had to send two successive VHPs back because they were off-spec and couldn't be fixed.

This leaves us with the G-Shock. Well, this certainly is comparing apples with oranges, but at least the G-Shock includes a rate trimmer, just like the old VHPs, so whilst the new VHP cannot have its rate adjusted, the G-Shock can. Not that you are ever likely to have need to adjust the rate. These really are grab-and-go watches. Solar powered, radio controlled ('atomic'), perpetual calendar, tough as nails. Some also have GPS so they will maintain time accurate to within a second of standard time anywhere in the world (and not just within the range of radio time signals).

I guess the question is, what are you really looking for in a quartz watch?
    The 4.19 MHz Collection
    Casio - SP-400, module 75
    Casio - SP-410, module 75
    Casio - SP-400G, module 75
    Citizen - Crystron 4 Mega, cal. 7370
    Citizen - Exceed 4 Mega, cal. 1730 SOLD
    Junghans - Prototype, cal. 667.20
    Junghans - MegaQuarz, cal. 667.26 SOLD
    Omega - Prototype, cal. 1522

Of late I’ve being increasingly blown away by what a G can deliver from such a small package so my money would be on the G.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Tom-HK View Post
    I passed on the standard VHP when I heard that a GMT variant was on the cards, but news of the forthcoming watch has been so scant that I am starting to doubt whether we will ever see it. Going by reliable reports of the current release VHP, I am now seriously reconsidering whether I would get anything from the VHP line at all.

I have two vintage VHPs - one of the very early dual oscillator versions and a later version with perpetual calendar, 200m WR, independently adjustable hour hand and ten year battery life. With battery life on the new VHPs down to just five years and WR down to 5ATM, accuracy would have to be the new version's redeeming quality. And that's where user reports worry me.

Both of my old VHPs can have their rate trimmed either by the brand, your local watch maker or the intrepid owner/tinkerer. Older VHPs were spec'd to 10 seconds per year but could easily be trimmed down to under five seconds per year. The new VHP is spec'd to five seconds year but cannot be trimmed ifnitnis off-spec. One owner over on the HAQ forum has had to send two successive VHPs back because they were off-spec and couldn't be fixed.

This leaves us with the G-Shock. Well, this certainly is comparing apples with oranges, but at least the G-Shock includes a rate trimmer, just like the old VHPs, so whilst the new VHP cannot have its rate adjusted, the G-Shock can. Not that you are ever likely to have need to adjust the rate. These really are grab-and-go watches. Solar powered, radio controlled ('atomic'), perpetual calendar, tough as nails. Some also have GPS so they will maintain time accurate to within a second of standard time anywhere in the world (and not just within the range of radio time signals).

I guess the question is, what are you really looking for in a quartz watch?
    I bought a mudmaster. The $300 version. I'm not too fond of the electronic digital display. I think I am passing on Longines. I used to have a standard vhp, and though I liked it, it was nothing special. I am looking for something to replace my oris BC3 Advanced when I go mudding and caving. Though the Oris can hang, I'd rather keep it in safer situations if a mt-g can keep me happy.

They're so different I'd say it came down to whether you want a more rugged watch or a more classic looking watch. Depends how you dress in a sense as well, as they're both casual but I think the Longines will be better suited to dressing up and down while the G-Shock is more casual although not terribly overtly so I think.

Thread Information