Longines vs. Baume & Mercier
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Longines vs. Baume & Mercier

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Longines vs. Baume & Mercier

I'm looking for an automatic for around $1000-2000. Longines and Baume seem to be in my price range. How would you compare them in terms of quality/ reputation/ look/ etc?

Secondly, any other brands I should look for in that price range but may even have better quality? Tag is probably out of my price range, right? My "watch expert" friends seem to think Tag is too "mass marketed" and told me that Longines & Baume would be better??

Thanks.

Banned

Re: Longines vs. Baume & Mercier

Quote Originally Posted by awatchnewbie View Post
    I'm looking for an automatic for around $1000-2000. Longines and Baume seem to be in my price range. How would you compare them in terms of quality/ reputation/ look/ etc?

Secondly, any other brands I should look for in that price range but may even have better quality? Tag is probably out of my price range, right? My "watch expert" friends seem to think Tag is too "mass marketed" and told me that Longines & Baume would be better??

Thanks.
    About the same. And about the same as Tag.

v76

You could get an Ebel 1911 or E-Type chrono with the cal. 137 in-house movement for under $2000 (under $1500, if you're lucky). If you can stretch a little beyond $2000 look at the new Seiko Phoenix Brightz chrono (8R28 mvmt.) - column wheel, vertical clutch, the works ...
    Collection:
    A few of this and some of the other ...

"I worked my way up from nothing to a state of extreme poverty" - Groucho Marx

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

i would say that the two brands are about the same too. Maybe i would lean a little to B and M over Longines. Overall, i would rate Baume and Mercier slightly above Tag, however TAG has a more widespread range than B and M.

Im in the same market and have pretty much decided on the Longines.
    Hadnt really considered the B&M, still dont think I will. In my own oppinion the Tags seem a little overpriced.

Went through a similar decision making process a few months ago ....was deciding between a Tag and B&M. In the end I chose B&M because it was different, not mass marketed, looked more classy and fit nicely in my budget. My only regret is not considering the B&M Classima Executives GMT watch!

What made me choose B&M was the simplicity of the dial and the incredible clarity/legibility compared to the Tag I was considering.

Good Luck

Here is my daily wearer:

MusicPDX likes this.
    IK

Baume Mercier Classima Executives 8591 | Hublot MDM Depose | Rolex OysterDate Preicision | Omega Constellation | Steinhart Nav BUhr II Automatik | Steinhard Marine Chronometer | Tissot Le Locle Automatic | Tissot PRS516 | Casio G-Shock | Casio Protrek | Seiko 5 Sports Automatic | Seiko Titanium Chronograph | Akribos XXIV DaVinci | Stuhrling Symphony Maestro II | Ardath (model unknown)

I am just a huge fan of Baume & Mercier. And as said before, their Classima Executives GMT is a real winner. One of my former profs, who was also the sec gen of NATO, wore one. Hardly a more distinguished looking dude out there. And their not Swatch... so you dont see them all the time.

My grandfather left me with an old gold Longines, and while I appreciate how classic the watch (and the entire brand) is, I'd go with the new B and M pointer GMT any day.

Sorry, but I just hate Tags.

Another watch you could consider in this range is Oris. The dont have the name of the other three, but they are really up and coming. I love some of their new designs.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by coaspak View Post
    Went through a similar decision making process a few months ago ....was deciding between a Tag and B&M. In the end I chose B&M because it was different, not mass marketed, looked more classy and fit nicely in my budget. My only regret is not considering the B&M Classima Executives GMT watch!

What made me choose B&M was the simplicity of the dial and the incredible clarity/legibility compared to the Tag I was considering.

Good Luck

Here is my daily wearer:

Wow that is a fantastic looking watch. way better than any TAGs on the market at the moment. enjoy.

Baume et Mercier is nicer than Longines and Tag.
    "I AM WATCHYMAN, AND I APPROVE THIS MESSAGE"

Welcome! They both seem like brands with appealing designs for the most part - from what I have seen in ADs. B&M and Longines are doing things a little differently than TAG - which is refreshing. The Longines Masters collection really caught my eye the other day. To the OP: I would consider an Omega

It would help us greatly if you specified what type of watch you are looking for. For the office, casual, etc.
    Last edited by Aquaracer1; April 1st, 2010 at 01:57.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information