Longines vs. Montblanc
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Longines vs. Montblanc

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Longines vs. Montblanc

Folks,

I am seeking to buy a new watch. I like to know from all the experts which would be a better watch to buy. Would it be Longines or would it be Montblanc? Please give me your reasoning so that I can understand why do you suggest so as I am new to watch branding.

Why Longines?

I am a petite person and I notice that I have better choices in Longines for 36 mm size watches. I noticed they have good collections of elegant dress watches. While Longines has a long history, they were bought over by Swatch, isn't it? I am not too impressed with Swatch brand.

Why Montblanc?

I have been using their pen and I know they have a reputation. They have good watches but they seem to be highly priced. The watch that I can buy, that is 36 mm, is rather limited as Montblanc makes 39 mm and above ranges when it comes to sizes. Therefore, very limited choices.

Please advice.

Thanks!
    Last edited by kanadaz; January 25th, 2015 at 20:11.

Re: Longines vs. Montblanc

Longines has been making watches much, much longer than MB. You will be hard pressed to find a bad value in a Longines. There are some MB watches that are not necessarily desirable by general watch enthusiasts, especially their earlier quartz watches. That being said, some of MB's later model mechanical watches are high quality timepieces that justify their price point much, much better.

If budget is a constraint, buy Longines and rest assured that you have acquired a quality watch from a long respected brand. If budget constraints are not as great a concern, you could pick up a new MB mechanical watch and know that you are wearing a very nice watch from a watch brand that is not quite as common. I would imagine it is also a fun idea to consider wearing a MB watch if you enjoy using their pens

:edit:

On Swatch, do not let that deter you. Swatch owns many brands, ranging from very affordable to high end, and everything in between. Consider this, they also own Omega and Breguet.
    Last edited by Mediocre; January 25th, 2015 at 20:18.
    LadyTime likes this.
    Do something exceptionally mediocre today

Agree with Mediocre. Montblanc take their watch business very seriously though and since they bought Minerva they even have some models with manufacture movements, but of cause, they're more expensive.
    Last edited by FrozenTime; January 25th, 2015 at 20:52.
    Mediocre likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I would certainly choose the Longines over the Montblanc IMO. Montblanc hasn't earned the prices they ask for yet and that is not a good business decision... At this point I am just unsure of their future meaning what direction they will go in and if they will be around if I were to pass this on to children etc... Where as Longines is not going anywhere.
    rfortson likes this.

I think it's very difficult to compare brands on the whole. Any chance you could post some information on the specific watches you're considering?
    KiwiWomble likes this.

Longines, best bang for buck, good solid watches, never owned a montblanc so I can't vouch for them

Longines were a respected manufacture once upon a time. Montblanc's pieces are of higher quality nowadays.

Buy the one that makes you float higher when you put it on.
    Mediocre likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mediocre View Post
    On Swatch, do not let that deter you. Swatch owns many brands, ranging from very affordable to high end, and everything in between. Consider this, they also own Omega and Breguet.
    Thank you for letting me know that Swatch Group owns Omega & Breguet as I wasn't aware. I quickly checked and noticed that Swatch even owns Blancpain and Rado. So I am rather relieved.
    Last edited by kanadaz; January 25th, 2015 at 21:45.
    Mediocre likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeroedout View Post
    I think it's very difficult to compare brands on the whole. Any chance you could post some information on the specific watches you're considering?
    Here are the two watches. They are both 36mm watches.

Longines: Flagship L4774576

Montblanc: Star 02353

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information