Longines vs. Tag
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Longines vs. Tag

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Longines vs. Tag

Hi everyone,

Would you be able to advise as to the merits of Longines and Tag Heuer. Do they make any of their movements, are the movements they purchase highly adjusted?

Thank you

Re: Longines vs. Tag

Longines receives a few specially modified ETA/Valjoux movements from their parent company which are exclusive to Longines, namely, the column wheel chronograph models and the master retrograde models. They also apparently have a new monopusher chronograph on the way. Whether or not they're in house is going to be contingent on how you define it since they are made for by the company that owns Longines and are exclusive to Longines.

TAG makes quite a number of in house movements, but basically as a rule does not sell them (they bring prototypes to shows and then they disappear). However, they did buy the rights to produce the Seiko 6S37 movement and make most of the movement "in house" as it were for their 1887 chronograph. They also do very limited runs of in house movements, like the V4, where they only made 150. More realistically, some Grand Carreras feature the high-end Zenith El Primero movement, which, while not in house, is very good.

As per highly adjusted, I don't believe Longines "orders" any chronometer grade movements from ETA right now, but I could be wrong. If they do, you can be certain it will proudly declare "chronometer" on the dial. TAG does offer a number of chronometer models, namely the Grand Carrera line. Chronometer grade ETA movements have an acceptable range of +6/-4 in any of 5 positions, which is pretty good. They will also write it on the dial if it's a chronometer, so you don't need to worry about which one you're looking at, you will know just by reading it.
    Nokie, Silversurfer7 and brrrdn like this.

In terms of quality, fit and finish and so on, I'd rank them about equal. I'd get whichever one appeals to you more. TAG does offer a unique quartz model though, the Cal. S, which is very cool looking, although a bit hard to read.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Different styles. Longines is more classic or vintage, while Tag is more modern. Probably equal in terms of quality. Similar ETA movements for most of their watches. Can't go wrong with either.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2
    Rolex Explorer II 216570
    Panerai
    PAM 112
    Rolex Two-Tone Datejust
    Omega Constellation C-Shape Vintage
    Anonimo D-Date II
    Concord Impresario
    Seiko Sumo
    Casio MDV106

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenM View Post
    Longines receives a few specially modified ETA/Valjoux movements from their parent company which are exclusive to Longines, namely, the column wheel chronograph models and the master retrograde models. They also apparently have a new monopusher chronograph on the way. Whether or not they're in house is going to be contingent on how you define it since they are made for by the company that owns Longines and are exclusive to Longines.

TAG makes quite a number of in house movements, but basically as a rule does not sell them (they bring prototypes to shows and then they disappear). However, they did buy the rights to produce the Seiko 6S37 movement and make most of the movement "in house" as it were for their 1887 chronograph. They also do very limited runs of in house movements, like the V4, where they only made 150. More realistically, some Grand Carreras feature the high-end Zenith El Primero movement, which, while not in house, is very good.

As per highly adjusted, I don't believe Longines "orders" any chronometer grade movements from ETA right now, but I could be wrong. If they do, you can be certain it will proudly declare "chronometer" on the dial. TAG does offer a number of chronometer models, namely the Grand Carrera line. Chronometer grade ETA movements have an acceptable range of +6/-4 in any of 5 positions, which is pretty good. They will also write it on the dial if it's a chronometer, so you don't need to worry about which one you're looking at, you will know just by reading it.
    Again CitizenM with a great post.
    Collection:
    Vacheron Constantin Overseas
    JLC Deep Sea Chrono
    Breguet Marine Grande Date
    Tudor Black Bay Black
    Omega Speedmaster 3570.50

WnS

My advice to any up and coming watch collector is that any relatively new watch with a Swiss movement is "good enough" in the movement department. The most important thing is that the watch appeals to your senses. I agree with what others have said - similar quality but different styling.
    Last edited by WnS; October 7th, 2012 at 10:25.
    I'm content with my watch collection

Pretty much like everyone is saying, very much alike in quality, very much different in design...

Quite similar in terms of quality. On a direct comparison though, I'd pick a lower end Tag over a lower end Longines. IMO the Aquaracer is a better watch than the Hydroconquest or Conquest. The Link is sort of overpriced, even by Tag standards just because of the bracelet. WHen you get into the Master collection of Longines though, things get very interesting. Unique movements, very good finishing, and retro cool designs. Tag on the other hand goes the sporty route for the most part. Both of them have some iconic watches that really stand out. Its really down to what you prefer in person as they take very different paths in terms of styling.
    AaaVee likes this.

Both are very nice mid-level brands, but Longines seems to be a bit less mainstream than Tags, so if you like something more exclusive, it might be a good choice.

Either way, both companies have nice selections of some very well made watches.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

I handled a Longines column wheel chrono, and a Tag Heuer 1887 chrono today. The 1887 felt much nicer. And the SLR 300 looks really stunning in the flesh. But pricey...

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information