Longines watches

Thread: Longines watches

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Longines watches

Hi guys,

I've tried to find a Longines forum on the Internet but without success. I heard about them when I was a kid and saw their name in the car racing field.

Recently I found some interesting models but would like to have some inputs from fans/owners.

Are there any Longines fans out there. These watches are a bit pricy and I would like to know what's the accuracy , the reliability, quality, etc. of these watches (automatic and Quartz). Are they really worth the price.

They are in the Swatch group as a lot of other interesting brands (Omega, Rado, Certina, Tissot, etc.):
    http://www.swatchgroup.com/brands/brands.php
    where they are cathegorized as "High range" (as Rado).

Any inputs will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Johnaeus

stuffler,mike

Re: Longines watches

Well, "high range" is what the Swatch Group says I´d like to know what a mid-range wach would be then Maybe "high range" is related to the Swatch hierarchy. Seen other non Swatch Group watches I´d rank Longines in the upper mid-range, like Rado, Oris, Fortis, Baume & Mercier.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnaeus View Post
    Hi guys,

I've tried to find a Longines forum on the Internet but without success. I heard about them when I was a kid and saw their name in the car racing field.

Recently I found some interesting models but would like to have some inputs from fans/owners.

Are there any Longines fans out there. These watches are a bit pricy and I would like to know what's the accuracy , the reliability, quality, etc. of these watches (automatic and Quartz). Are they really worth the price.

They are in the Swatch group as a lot of other interesting brands (Omega, Rado, Certina, Tissot, etc.):
    http://www.swatchgroup.com/brands/brands.php
    where they are cathegorized as "High range" (as Rado).

Any inputs will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Johnaeus
    I would put them on a level with Omega etc. for quality, but aimed at a different market. No bad raps that I know of.

I haven't a wide experience with Longines but I've had three, spread over a good many years. They seem to be more towards the dress watch end of the spectrum, at least the ones I've seen. One of mine was mechanical and, to be honest, it was so long ago that I really don't even remember what it looked like or what happened to it! The next one was incredibly thin, quartz and, although I liked it, it was rectangular which is not really my thing. The third I still have. I think it is the most perfect-looking watch I've ever seen, very understated and clean design and keeps normally good quartz time.
    If you're interested, send me a pm and I'll send you a photo.

I hope this helps.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Actually, in the watch market today Longines might be considered a mid-end brand, even though in the past (I mean before the "quartz watches revolution" in the '70s) when Longines was not part of the Swatch Group it was properly considered an high-end brand.
    Some models such as Lindbergh, Weems, Greenlander and many of the chronos embedding the old in-house calibres (13, 18, 19, 30 series calibres) are still some of the best creations in watchmaking history.
    Many epic enterprises of human history (Lindbergh solo fligh across Atlantic ocean, Italia airship expedition to North Pole just to remember some of the most important) had been lead together with Longines watches because of their superior quality and reliability, and this is explanatory more than any technical analysis on watches.
    The present Longines surely produces good watches, that worth the money we're asked to pay for, even if in my opinion the collection is a little bit uninspired, unless for the models which are replicas of historical watches (but these are more expensive). The missing of any in-house calibre and of any internal development dept. (nowadays all Longines use ETA calibres) makes the brand to seem only a poor shadow of its glorious past. My heart is crying while I'm writing this, because Longines had always been my favourite (or, at least, one of my favourite) brand...
    My hope is that in future someone inside Swatch Group will read the book of the history of Longines, realizing the great potential this brand could have on fine watches lovers.... maybe in future...
    Some good information (and a forum also) could be found here:

http://s89500954.onlinehome.us/Longines/e/home.html

If you already decided to buy a Longines, enjoy it being aware of the great tradition this brand still have.

stuffler,mike

Mille Grazie Ugo

Longines quality is a JOKE imho. My Longines broke down in its second year and after going through the trouble of sending it over to Geneva for repair it broke down again after only 6 months of use. I do not lead an overly active lifestyle or subject the watch to harsh conditions. Now I'm working on throwing (read: shipping) it back one way with a "thanks, but no thanks!" note.

stuffler,mike

Welcome to Watchuseek and welcome to the Public Forum. I read all your 3 posts you posted within the last 40 Min, wouldn`t you think that one post would have done it. Keep in mind that most of the members flick through most of the threads and it is not really "refreshing" to see you complaining Longines`quality.

Longines` mechanical line offers a good price performance ratio. My Record-Longines works flawless since almost 35 years. You had bad luck, that's all.

Nice to see so many Longines threads, had not seen so many active at the same time. I'm really starting to like these watches. My next watch will be one of their diver watches.

Never heard a bad thing about Longines watches. They are quite sharp looking, IMO.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information