Looking for advice on a first watch
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Looking for advice on a first watch

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Smile Looking for advice on a first watch

Hello everybody. I am extremely new to the watch community although my love for watches has been a growing thing. I developed an interest for watches around my 14th birthday when I bought my first: a Seiko 5 Sports. Ever since my interest has manifested. I find the intricacy of the movements and craftsmanship very appealing. Now im no watch connoisseur but I have done my research into brands, movements and history; and by no means have I even scratched the surface!

Now down to my question. I have been saving up and I think id like to invest in my first low-end luxury watch, Id like to keep my budget around the £2000 ($3200) mark so anything like an AP or Patek is completely out of the question. Unlike most though, I am not looking for an investment, im looking for something I can enjoy. Something I can say when I am older: "I wore this when I was 20". I have a few preferences but nothing that narrows down my options.
    I would like:
    -A skeleton cased back
    -Something Automatic or Manual
    -Durable
    -Nothing with too much going on on the dial, ie a Breitling (Not very fond of them)
    -A sweeping hand would also be nice but not essential

My two initial choices are:

The Omega Speedmaster Pro 'Moonwatch'

And the Longines Master

I welcome any criticisms and suggestions as I have a lot to learn still. Thank you for reading!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Looking for advice on a first watch

Seems you've done your reading on the WUS forum as you have identified two very nice watches as your first "nice" one. Check out this thread...I believe it will help;

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f2/bran...er-934821.html

After you've seen what others value highly, your opinion will be the only one that counts.

Cheers,

Walter
    Last edited by wschofield3; October 30th, 2013 at 23:35.

Quote Originally Posted by DeWitt View Post
    I would like:
    -A skeleton cased back
    -Something Automatic or Manual
    -Durable
    -Nothing with too much going on on the dial, ie a Breitling (Not very fond of them)
    -A sweeping hand would also be nice but not essential

My two initial choices are:

The Omega Speedmaster Pro 'Moonwatch'

And the Longines Master
    Hi and welcome. Those are two great watches but to me, they might be a little inconsistent with your stated 'wants'.
    - The Speedy Pro, AFAIK, doesn't have a skeleton back.
    - It has an acrylic crystal and minimal WR. Whilst it would be plenty durable for my purposes, it may not be for some, depending on what you meant by durable and how/where you intend to wear it.
    - "Nothing too much going on on the dial" - the Longines, to me, seems like a very busy dial?
    - All automatics/manuals have a sweeping running seconds, although it's obviously less noticeable with a chronograph.

But, like I said, they are great watches and excellent choices, I just wondered whether they were in fact a match with your preferences.
    Last edited by GlennO; October 30th, 2013 at 23:39.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for your reply Walter,

I am a fan of Panerai's but they are little pricey for a first in my opinion! The IWC's are very nice watches too.

I was more pointing you that way for you to observe what makes a "classic, timeless watch" for some, not for the "expense" quotient. No question, a lot of the watches on that thread are out of reach for many....but, when you see some of the designs that stand the test of time. Personally, my tastes have evolved to appreciate simple elegance and away from busy and complex. That's me though, you may be different.

GlennO, there are versions of the speedy pro that have a display back. Not sure which model number they are though.

Thanks for your reply Walter,

I am a fan of Panerai's but they are little pricey for a first in my opinion! The IWC's are very nice watches too.

Quote Originally Posted by GlennO View Post
    Hi and welcome. Those are two great watches but to me, they might be a little inconsistent with your stated 'wants'.
    - The Speedy Pro, AFAIK, doesn't have a skeleton back.
    - It has an acrylic crystal and minimal WR. Whilst it would be plenty durable for my purposes, it may not be for some, depending on what you meant by durable and how/where you intend to wear it.
    - "Nothing too much going on on the dial" - the Longines, to me, seems like a very busy dial?
    - All automatics/manuals have a sweeping running seconds, although it's obviously less noticeable with a chronograph.

But, like I said, they are great watches and excellent choices, I just wondered whether they were in fact a match with your preferences.
    Thanks for your reply GlennO.

I think its highly possible due to my naivety that I am a little unspecific in my preferences.
    Id like to see the movement in the back, I don't know if thats what you regard a skeleton case? Please do correct me
    I can overlook the dial if it looks appealing, I meant the bezel on the Brietlings (I should have specified), how it is full of numbers, it isnt something im too keen on
    By durability I mean it is going to last with proper servicing, something with a reliable movement. I don't mean to say im going to be throwing it around. I am aware of the Speedmasters acrylic crystal, something about it not being sapphire because it would be too dangerous on board a spaceship I believe?

But anyway sorry for the convoluted information, I am still rather uneducated.

Quote Originally Posted by wschofield3 View Post
    I was more pointing you that way for you to observe what makes a "classic, timeless watch" for some, not for the "expense" quotient. No question, a lot of the watches on that thread are out of reach for many....but, when you see some of the designs that stand the test of time. Personally, my tastes have evolved to appreciate simple elegance and away from busy and complex. That's me though, you may be different.

GlennO, there are versions of the speedy pro that have a display back. Not sure which model number they are though.
    Ill have to observe and do some more research. I initially like the complexity of a lot of the chronographs but like you simplicity is becoming a lot more interesting to me.

Thanks once again

I like the Longines.
    DeWitt likes this.
    Any watches posted may be seen as gifts,borrowed or found property and not as personal property of Little Big Feather.

Ever since my interest has manifested.
    ?

I think I'd go with the Longines between the two above, but that doesn't really match your not too busy dial. If you like chronos and you like Longines, I think I'd opt for the St. Imier.

Or a grey market Baume Mercier Capeland

Good Luck!

Grail: Montblanc Villeret Tachydate Monopusher

The Speedy Pro sapphire sandwich has a display back. It would be what I would look at if I were you. The Longines dial is too busy for my liking.
    "The stuff that dreams are made of…" - RGM ‘801 EE Motor Barrel’

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information