Looking for advice on a watch i inherited - Raymond Weil

View Poll Results: Genuine or Fake Raymond Weil?

Voters
2. This poll is closed
  • Definitely Fake

0 0%
  • Possibly Fake

0 0%
  • Not Sure

0 0%
  • Possibly Genuine

1 50.00%
  • Definitely Genuine

1 50.00%
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Looking for advice on a watch i inherited - Raymond Weil

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Looking for advice on a watch i inherited - Raymond Weil

Hi everyone, new to the forum and really hoping someone can help me. I inherited a watch over 10 years ago, a Raymond Weil, and my uncle who passed it on to me had it for years prior to that so I'm thinking it could be as much as 20 years old or more. I'm not sure if it is genuine or not but in my opinion it looks and feels like its real. I'm getting married in 10 weeks and thought i would sell the watch if it is legit and use the money towards the wedding as the watch has been in storage for the majority of time anyways. I am just wondering if anyone can tell if it is real by looking at it. It says on the back it is stainless steel with a sapphire crystal face. Any advice on the watches authenticity and potential value would be much appreciated.

Pics to follow.

Name:  12887371_10153360319571244_197971467_o.jpg
Views: 461
Size:  252.2 KBName:  12476803_10153360319606244_444423996_o.jpg
Views: 453
Size:  255.0 KB

I'm no expert (trust me on that), but Raymond Weil had a pretty extensive collection over the years, particularly in regard to their quartz offerings. I've come across several and actually own two that I've never been able to identify, so unfortunately, I'm not even gonna try to find a reference for this one.

The other unfortunate news is that it's probably not gonna fetch much in resale value. Even current, mechanical RW's don't generate much on the secondary market. If I had to take a guess, I'd say you're probably looking at 50 bucks (maybe?) through a private sale...$5-$10 at a pawn shop.

Again, I'm no expert and perhaps I'm missing something. I'm only guessing, but then again...I'm a fan of the brand and know what I'd be willing to pay if it were something I wanted.

Good luck, and congrats on the upcoming wedding.

Re: Looking for advice on a watch i inherited - Raymond Weil

It looks real to me as well. However most 30 year old mid range watches sell for not much money. Watches with mechanical movements can command more than those with quartz. If you find a buyer intetested in a not new design you might get $100. Check Ebay for sales of comparable watches. You won't get enough to pay for half an order of printed wedding imvitations though.
    Last edited by John MS; March 23rd, 2016 at 03:11.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the reply guys, really do appreciate it. Whatever it is worth, I'm better using the money than having the watch sit in a shoebox for another 10 years haha. I've put it on ebay, where alot of similar ones are selling for £100+. Someone messaged me not long after it went live and offered to buy it there and then for £25 (around $40) but i think ill just let the auction play out and see what happens. Thanks again for the replies, and please don't hesitate if anyone else has any input.

Welcome to the forums!
    "The stuff that dreams are made of…" - RGM ‘801 EE Motor Barrel’

Quote Originally Posted by WatchCollectorDanny View Post
    Thanks for the reply guys, really do appreciate it. Whatever it is worth, I'm better using the money than having the watch sit in a shoebox for another 10 years haha. I've put it on ebay, where alot of similar ones are selling for £100+. Someone messaged me not long after it went live and offered to buy it there and then for £25 (around $40) but i think ill just let the auction play out and see what happens. Thanks again for the replies, and please don't hesitate if anyone else has any input.
    That one is an old Tango model. It'll get more than £25 for sure but won't pay for a wedding
    German: Junghans Meister Chronoscope | Nomos Tangente | Stowa Exima ETA & PUW 560
    Others: Accurist World Time Chronograph | Mondaine solar powered | Omega Seamaster 'Calypso' | Orient Blue Mako | Orient CVZ0001B ana-digi | Reena WeatherMaster VII

Looks real to me. I see no obvious flaws to it.

Thanks again for the replies everyone, makes me feel a little better knowing its more likely to be real. I saw alot of Tango's which actually have "Tango" printed on the watch face so that lead me to believe mines may not be genuine. All im really worried about is selling it for less than its worth. Im not expecting it to pay for the wedding either haha, wedding is already sorted, just mean it would be nice to have the extra money, maybe to surprise my missus with a wedding gift or buy a surprise gift for the best man etc. Starting bid is only £10, and as soon as i received the message saying the person was willing to buy there and then i realised the potential of it being a genuine Raymond Weil. I'd be happy to get £50-£100 for it, every little helps.

Value - sentimental.

I'll say this: If your uncle was dear to you, keep the watch, even if you wear it once a year. An heirloom from a dear loved one will always be more-valuable than the few ducats you'll get for selling it.

Of course, if you didn't care much for your uncle, then sell it and buy some beer. Anything but Stella.
    poised, rfortson and John MS like this.
    Invicta 2875, Citizen Eco-Drive Calibre 9000 Minute Repeater, 1965 Seiko Sportsmatic 5 Weekdater, 1940s Doxa with Small Seconds, Early 1950s Seiko (Still identifying movement), Bulova 96A110 Mechanical, Stuhrling Millenial Ravine Hand-Wind, Citizen Eco-Drive Calibre 8651, Stuhrling Original Zeppelin Skeleton, Christopher Ward C5 Malvern, Stuhrling Original Tuskegee Flier, Stuhrling Original Executive II, Seiko Cocktail Time SARB065, Seiko Presage SARX015, Bulova Precisionist Wilton, Bulova Precisionist 98B224 Big Blue, Eterna KonTiki Date, Citizen World Perpetual A-T, Citizen Signature Grand Classic NB0040-07A Silver Ice, FitBit Charge 2

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast